Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 20th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 5Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    Sports Direct Credit Note Expiry in US Date Format
    • 20th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    Sports Direct Credit Note Expiry in US Date Format 20th Sep 17 at 5:09 PM
    I can't see anything else on in the forums but other people must have had this problem:

I have a credit note from a Sports Direct 'refund' This states the following:

expiry: 07/10/2017

This would appear to indicate the 7th October 2017 i.e dd/mm/yyy format, the credit is still valid.

I have just tried to spend this, but have been told I can't as the date is in the American format instead meaning the expiry date was actually July the 10th 2017.

At no point does it say anywhere or has anyone mentioned that the expiry date should be in the US format. What is more confusing is that the sale is in the UK format so the note is using two date formats.

I am taking this complaint to Sport Direct, but what are my rights in terms of them honouring the validity the date as written?
Page 1
    • beeg0d
    • By beeg0d 20th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    beeg0d
    • 20th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    Your rights are to have the voucher honored. Using the US date system (unless the voucher specifically states it is mm/dd/yyyy) makes it ambigious (can be read both ways).

69 (1) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015
    If a term in a consumer contract, or a consumer notice, could have different meanings, the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer is to prevail.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 20th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 20th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    Do their receipts have the date the right way round, is a credit note printed on a receipt slip and what is the date of issue?

Looking at examples that Google throws up I think your credit note is faulty and you've been fobbed off. It would be worth taking copies of some of the examples on Google images to support your case.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sports+direct+credit+note&prmd=sinv&sourc e=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRiNT3sbTWAhVgF8AK HcFDDv8Q_AUIEigC&biw=800&bih=1232#imgrc=d0d-JqHulxk-lM:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sports+direct+credit+note&prmd=sinv&sourc e=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRiNT3sbTWAhVgF8AK HcFDDv8Q_AUIEigC&biw=800&bih=1232#imgrc=t_MrmRHUMP u8RM:
    Last edited by IAmWales; 20-09-2017 at 7:29 PM.
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 21st Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    • 21st Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 21st Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    Thanks for the responses.

You are correct that their other credit notes are in UK format, so there must have been a problem with their printing. This has probably been fixed at some stage, but I wonder how many other customers are out there who would have been affected by this error.
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 21st Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    • 21st Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    Well all I have managed to get back from Sports Direct's Customer Services so far is them telling me that the voucher has expired.

Not helpful at all I'm sure you agree.

I would have thought that having sent a picture of the credit note, and pointing out that their other credit note expiry dates are in UK format would be sufficient for them to put this right.

Is there anything else I can do bar write a letter of complaint?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 21st Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4,878 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 21st Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    Are there any other indications of expiry on the note, such as 'expire 3 months from issue' with say an April date?

If there's a way to get out of it, SD will get out of it...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 21st Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 21st Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    Is there anything else I can do bar write a letter of complaint?
    Originally posted by 2017_M.S.E
    I don't understand that sentence.

Why are you reluctant to write a letter of complaint?

Surely that is the most sensible thing to do, and include that quote from the CRA in post#2.
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 21st Sep 17, 11:43 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    • 21st Sep 17, 11:43 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 11:43 PM
    I don't understand that sentence.

Why are you reluctant to write a letter of complaint?

Surely that is the most sensible thing to do, and include that quote from the CRA in post#2.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    I am not reluctant to write a letter of complaint. I was hoping to get a simple resolution with their Customer Services when common sense should surely prevail and was seeing if anyone could recommend anything based on their experiences of dealing with this company. Obviously the more info I can get from the helpful people on this forum the better!

I will be writing one tomorrow if I haven't heard anything by the end of the day.
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 21st Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    • 21st Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    Are there any other indications of expiry on the note, such as 'expire 3 months from issue' with say an April date?

If there's a way to get out of it, SD will get out of it...
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    There is absolutely nothing to indicate any period apart from the expiry date. You are absolutely right, and I am sure that Sports Direct will probably sit on this until after the UK date on the Credit note expires next month!
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 22nd Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    firefox1956
    expiry: 07/10/2017..........
    On a Credit Note issued by a retailer in the UK that would mean to me & probably 99% of other people 7th October 2017.
    Sports Direct a just being evasive in my opinion.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 22nd Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    DoaM
    Why was the credit note issued in the first place? (The reason might strengthen your case. e.g. if it was issued because you returned some faulty goods then you weren't obliged to accept a credit note in the first place - you were entitled to a refund to the original method of payment).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 22nd Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    It was for a refunded item (wrong size indicated on the hangar)

obviously a straight refund would have saved a lot of hassle!
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 22nd Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    It was for a refunded item (wrong size indicated on the hangar)

obviously a straight refund would have saved a lot of hassle!
    What date was it issued and does it say anything about number of months etc it was valid for ?
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 22nd Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    Issued on 10/01/17

This is in UK format as opposed to the expiry date. Nothing about how long its valid for.

Only this in block capitals in the middle of the slip.

'To be retained by the customer unless fully redeemed'
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 22nd Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    DoaM
    Issued on 10/01/17

This is in UK format as opposed to the expiry date. Nothing about how long its valid for.
    Erm ... yes there is. Isn't that the whole point of this thread?

If the expiry had shown UK format it would be 10/07/2017 ... i.e. 6 months after issue. This is not an unusual validity period for a credit note.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 22nd Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    Erm ... yes there is. Isn't that the whole point of this thread?

If the expiry had shown UK format it would be 10/07/2017 ... i.e. 6 months after issue. This is not an unusual validity period for a credit note.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Of course but as you can see above I was answering vuvuzela's question about the note indicating the number of months it is valid for. The issue is more about Sports Direct printing a date they appear to be reluctant to honour.

I have checked their website and cannot see any policy which explicitly refers to credit notes, only gift cards which they say has a validity of 24 months.
    • Trixy85
    • By Trixy85 2nd Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Trixy85
    I've have the exact same thing and thought I was going mad. I've been in contact with Sports Direct customer services team online who have told me to take the issue up with the shop. The shop have told me to take it up with the company, so again feeling totally fobbed off. I've also paid a visit to Citizens Advice who encouraged me to write a letter as they said that would have more power. Please feel free message me privately for further info.
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 2nd Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    Thanks for getting in touch! I knew others would be affected. I have sent you a DM
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 3rd Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    So have written off the letter of complaint, and the customer services team have told me they can't help me, is there anyone worth passing this onto like the ombudsman?
    • Castle
    • By Castle 4th Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    Castle
    So have written off the letter of complaint, and the customer services team have told me they can't help me, is there anyone worth passing this onto like the ombudsman?
    I don't think Sports Direct have signed up to any ombudsman schemes, so your only option is court action, (after sending them a LBA).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,607Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin