Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robti
    • By robti 19th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 13Thanks
    robti
    Changing from contract to payg
    • 19th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    Changing from contract to payg 19th Sep 17 at 7:36 PM
    Hi so my contract is up in a few weeks and I don’t think I will upgrade at the moment, so if I decide to go payg what’s the best way to keep my existing number ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 19th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    You just request your PAC and give it to your new supplier.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 19th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 19th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    Are you staying with the same network? Just call them to end the contract and say you want to go on payg. I went from contract to sim only this way with no problems
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 19th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 7,517 Posts
    • 5,410 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 19th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    it's an obvious point, but you'll need to give notice towards the end of your minimum. period of your intention to switch to PAYG.
    • robti
    • By robti 20th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    robti
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    Thanks all I will be giving my 30 days notice for o2 and I think I will be changing networks, so how would I proceed?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 9,741 Posts
    • 4,001 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    Decide who you are going with first re network coverage .
    • robti
    • By robti 27th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    robti
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    Thanks price wise I think at the moment it will be the three network I only use around 700 minutes a couple of hundred texts and never hit my 3gb data limit everywhere I go usually has WiFi. So how would I proceed with this ?

Thanks
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 27th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    Thanks price wise I think at the moment it will be the three network I only use around 700 minutes a couple of hundred texts and never hit my 3gb data limit everywhere I go usually has WiFi. So how would I proceed with this ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by robti
    Post #2....
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 27th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    You probably don't want Payg but rather sim only where you pay £5+ month and get mins txt data
    • robti
    • By robti 27th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    robti
    At the moment I really don’t know what I want, the only sure thing is I’m not staying with O2 I called them up and was told if I stay as is it’s £33 a month for 3gb and unlimited calls and texts or go to one of their sim only plans which are just as bad for me at least
    • Farway
    • By Farway 27th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 5,577 Posts
    • 7,030 Thanks
    Farway

Thanks
    Originally posted by robti
    Just make sure you can get 3 signal before committing, try with a free SIM

I say this because despite all the coverage web sites, the actuality can be very different. I know mine is for 3
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 27th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I understand tesco has some good deals ATM.
    They use the O2 network
    • macman
    • By macman 27th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    • 41,320 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    macman
    'Only' 700 minutes? That is very high average usage, and even if on Three PAYG you would be paying £21 just for calls alone. A SIM only deal is going to be far more suitable. If you are happy with o2 as a network, then look at Tesco Mobile: for example, you can get 500 mins for £11, or 3000 mins for £12.50. Much cheaper than o2, and good customer service.
    Just order your SIM, get your PAC and give it to the new provider to port over-normally two working days at most.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • jay213
    • By jay213 3rd Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    jay213
    Will o2 give you a cheaper deal to stay on a sim only deal with them? as your already a customer? like a retention deal or something?

I'm soon going to be in the same boat, and paying the same, so I'll try and pop back here to see the replies.

By the way, I had Three before and I had no signal most of the places I went, there T&Cs at that time stated if you used it, you accepted the contract and couldn't return it, I think. So, if you try Three get a PAYG sim to check it out first.

I had Tesco before also, cheaper than o2, but I could never get signal inside my local Tescos with it lol, with o2 though, never had a problem with signal in the same Tescos, same phone.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 3rd Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Been with Tesco over 5 years, no problem.

Get 1500 mins, 5000 texts, 4gb data = £10 p/m
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 3rd Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 8,596 Posts
    • 53,043 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    I'm with GiffGaff, they use the O2 network and have some remarkable deals. Also it's a monthly SIM only deal which means you're not tied into a contract. GiffGaff also use the O2 network so you know youre old phone will work with a GG SIM and the coverage will be the same as you have now.

If you would like recommending to GG, I think you receive £10 welcome credit, send me a private message with your email address and I can recommend you.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 4th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    If you use a PAC to transfer out of a contract, but that contract is expired (they just carry on billing the monthly amount) do you need to contact them to cancel? Or is just transferring the number enough to close everything with the old network?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 4th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    The latter. Contracts don't "expire" either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,817Posts Today

7,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin