Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nile
    • By Nile 19th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 14,224Posts
    • 14,164Thanks
    Nile
    Flu jab £5 at Asda
    • 19th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    Flu jab £5 at Asda 19th Sep 17 at 4:06 PM
    It's that time of year folks. If you don't qualify for a free NHS flu jab, Asda is around the cheapest option at £5.
Page 1
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 21st Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 21st Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    Thanks Nile!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 11th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    Just had mine done at my local Asda supermarket pharmacy. Quick, easy, and at 5 quid, half the price that others are charging, which makes one wonder just how much profit other outlets are making on this vaccine.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 60,974 Posts
    • 356,143 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    I've never had one.

I bet there's more risk of me catching it by going to Asda ... all those great unwashed!
    • Nile
    • By Nile 12th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 14,224 Posts
    • 14,164 Thanks
    Nile
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    I've never had one.

I bet there's more risk of me catching it by going to Asda ... all those great unwashed!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    So...........am I great or do I stink? I bathe regularly and change my clothes on a regular basis............and I also shop in Asda.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 13th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    I've never had one.

Well you're clearly entitled to your view! but when it comes to saving a bit of cash, Boots, which is just a two minute walk away from my local Asda pharmacy, charges £12.99 and Superdrug which is just a few doors away from Boots, charges £9.99. Indeed the average charge from all of my local pharmcies offering the jab, seems to be around the 10 quid + mark. So basically, I'd have to have been a major dork to have paid double for the same jab, as unlike those that can afford to shop at other supermarkets, I'm not made of money I therefore apologise profusely for apparently being a member of the great unwashed

Some probably think I'm a dork for having the jab anyway, but I've been having the flu jab for the last 5 years (the last two at Asda) and I haven't suffered a bout of flu, so in my twisted little mind, I feel somewhat smug with myself for having the jab.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 17,866 Posts
    • 38,738 Thanks
    Glad
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    Thanks Nile you definitely are great

don't forget to check if you qualify for a free flu jab

Do you qualify for a free flu jab?

just one of the savings in the 22 Medicine Savings Guide on the main site, updated 9th October 2017
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 14th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 14th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    Thanks Nile you definitely are great

don't forget to check if you qualify for a free flu jab

Do you qualify for a free flu jab?

just one of the savings in the 22 Medicine Savings Guide on the main site, updated 9th October 2017
    Originally posted by Glad
    In England certainly, the vast majority of people do have to pay privately for a flu jab. Only the over 65's, asthmatics, school children and the pregnant get it for free and possibly some vulnerable groups in very low income brackets.

I find it quite amusing that with so many pharmacists etc ask me if I pay for my prescriptions and jabs. The reality is, probably most adults in England do have to pay.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    • 14th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    Unwashed
    • 14th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    And who are you pastures new? Lord snooty?
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Superdrug can do it for £5 if you are a beauty card holder. For other customers it's £10 which seems to be standard.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I have narcolepsy but I was told by my surgery that I don't meet the criteria for a free jab.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 14th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    robin58
    In England certainly, the vast majority of people do have to pay privately for a flu jab. Only the over 65's, asthmatics, school children and the pregnant get it for free and possibly some vulnerable groups in very low income brackets.

I find it quite amusing that with so many pharmacists etc ask me if I pay for my prescriptions and jabs. The reality is, probably most adults in England do have to pay.
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    Not totally true. If you are in vulnerable bracket due to an illness, you can also get it.

Evidently you didn't read the link in the post you commented on. A lot more people than the few categories you quoted can get a free flu jab.

I'm in my 50's and have had it free for the last 4 years because of a condition. I'm not on any benefits. And I pay for my other prescriptions.

Please do your research before you spout your misinformed information.
    Last edited by robin58; 14-10-2017 at 7:50 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • emmzickle
    • By emmzickle 14th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    emmzickle
    Did you read the link? Far more people than those you listed can get it for free e.g. carers, frontline NHS staff and people with lots of conditions other than asthma (regardless of whether they are in a very low income bracket) ...
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 14th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Did you read the link? Far more people than those you listed can get it for free e.g. carers, frontline NHS staff and people with lots of conditions other than asthma (regardless of whether they are in a very low income bracket) ...
    Originally posted by emmzickle
    Yes I did read the link, indeed my own wife gets the flu jab free because she works in Local Government in a job that entitles her to have the jab. I didn't obviously make myself entirely clear, aside from those public sector workers and other 'group's that are clearly entitled to the jab for free, that still leaves the majority of us who do have to pay. How pedantic do you want to be?
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 14th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Not totally true. If you are in vulnerable bracket due to an illness, you can also get it.

Evidently you didn't read the link in the post you commented on. A lot more people than the few categories you quoted can get a free flu jab.

I'm in my 50's and have had it free for the last 4 years because of a condition. I'm not on any benefits. And I pay for my other prescriptions.

Originally posted by robin58
    Thank you for putting me back in my box and publicly humiliating me for my lack of research. I feel completely and utterly spanked!

I'm surprised that my 'unresearched' babble was found more offensive than the assertion by another forum post that those who shop at Asda are apparently the great unwashed!

Peace and goodwill to all!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 60,974 Posts
    • 356,143 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Thank you for putting me back in my box and publicly humiliating me for my lack of research. I feel completely and utterly spanked!

I'm surprised that my 'unresearched' babble was found more offensive than the assertion by another forum post that those who shop at Asda are apparently the great unwashed!

Peace and goodwill to all!
    That's the way forums go.... you never know how things will be taken. Such as my post, which (to me) was clearly tongue in cheek.

I'd love to shop at Asda... it's my "shop of choice" ... except it's the furthest (16 miles round trip), so I go to L1dl/4ldi
    • emmzickle
    • By emmzickle 14th Oct 17, 9:09 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    emmzickle
    Yes I did read the link, indeed my own wife gets the flu jab free because she works in Local Government in a job that entitles her to have the jab. I didn't obviously make myself entirely clear, aside from those public sector workers and other 'group's that are clearly entitled to the jab for free, that still leaves the majority of us who do have to pay. How pedantic do you want to be?
    Well it depends how pedantic we want to be about the definition of vast majority you used in your first post I would pedantically disagree that the vast majority have to pay.

My point was more a lot of people (for example carers - those that look after family members rather than those employed to do so) don't know they entitled to a free vaccine and so don't get. A lot of people also don't know about the long list of medical conditions that mean you can get the vaccine for free and tend to just think of lung related conditions. More people vaccinated the better
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 18th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    ska lover

Originally posted by robin58
    Miaowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Last edited by ska lover; 18-10-2017 at 4:05 PM.
    Blah blah blah.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 18th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    ska lover
    That's the way forums go.... you never know how things will be taken. Such as my post, which (to me) was clearly tongue in cheek.

I'd love to shop at Asda... it's my "shop of choice" ... except it's the furthest (16 miles round trip), so I go to L1dl/4ldi

It was pretty obvious your post was tongue in cheek - it made me snigger - and I shop at Asda too

You will never avoid the people who spend great amounts of time browsing these boards in order to be ''offended'' and snark at people, whilst continually failing to add anything of value to any debate

Keep cracking the jokes
    Blah blah blah.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 19th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    I have just been to Asda for my flu vaccine and paid £5 which is good value. What I can't understand is why the same vaccine is £12 in boots and at another chemist it's £9.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

251Posts Today

1,383Users online

Martin's Twitter