Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M00minMama
    • By M00minMama 19th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 93Thanks
    M00minMama
    Meal ideas carers can manage
    • 19th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    Meal ideas carers can manage 19th Sep 17 at 1:06 PM
    Ok

I now have carers in for my lunch and teatime. Effectively they have 15 minutes to make a meal.
    I am getting fed up of cheap ready meals, microwaved jacket potatoes and scrambled eggs.

Really I need a meal plan to be able to budget as money is so tight. I have to avoid pulses and legumes for health reasons so the usual cheap options of beans on toast are no longer available
    Some carers have very little understanding of how to cook.
    What cheap and quick meals are there. I'm desperate for something tasty now. I'm hoping you guys can inspire me with ideas
Page 2
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 8th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 4,660 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    Are meals on wheels not available to you, as they do some qood quality meals.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 8th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 10,202 Thanks
    NewShadow
    Are meals on wheels not available to you, as they do some qood quality meals.
    Originally posted by vodkawitch1
    Not sure if you're aware they're nearly £5 a meal - which might not fit with the OPs need for a tight budget?
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 8th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Is the carer doing 15 minutes of other jobs then moving onto 15minutes for cooking?

It might be better if they did 10 minutes of preparing/cooking, 15 minutes for other jobs then 5 minutes finish meal and serve. This way they could cook more it gives 15-25 minutes of cooking time, lots of things can be done in this time.

Do not worry about them washing up, this can be left and done on the next visit.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Ok

I now have carers in for my lunch and teatime. Effectively they have 15 minutes to make a meal.
    Originally posted by M00minMama
    Jamie’s 15 minute meals..... job done.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamies-15-Minute-Meals-Jamie-Oliver-ebook/dp/B00R6IHBUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507481688&sr=8-2&keywords=15+minute+meals
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 13,662 Posts
    • 37,144 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I've read comments about that to the effect of the meals actually take longer than 15 minutes (rather noticeably longer).

My suspicion too would be that some of the ingredients arent budget ones.
    #MeToo
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 9th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 4,660 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    Not sure if you're aware they're nearly £5 a meal - which might not fit with the OPs need for a tight budget?

Really! wow that is ruthlessly expensive, sorry I didn`t realise. Right I would be going on facebook and seeing if anyone could help.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 9th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 6,260 Posts
    • 11,265 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    You could maybe supplement your current meals with Wiltshire farm meals?

If you can I'd ask for your care package to be reassessed as preparing and cooking a meal plus attending to care needs is just not going to happen in 15 minutes. Even if you got one longer block I'd say an hour you could get your carer to cook 2 meals with enough portions to fill a freezer and next week don2 different meals until you have a big enough stash of homemade "ready meals" though at the start you'd still be plodding along with your usual 15 minute offerings that you have at the moment.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,931Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin