Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 18th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 5,030Posts
    • 2,654Thanks
    John Gray
    CCleaner v5.33 32-bit compromised
    • 18th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    CCleaner v5.33 32-bit compromised 18th Sep 17 at 3:00 PM
    Announcement on the Piriform website, of interest to those who run CCleaner.
Page 3
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 27th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 3,670 Thanks
    Stompa
    Seem to be rushing put updates.
    Already up to v5.35.6210
    Originally posted by spud17
    They seem to have streamlined the update process too, so you no longer have to download the installer and manually run it.
    Stompa
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 27th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    LeeUK
    For the few asking about an alternative to CCleaner, you could try

PrivaZer

As with CCleaner though, if you are unsure about what you should be cleaning leave the software in its default mode until you have learned about its capabilities.
    Originally posted by Knarf44
    The thing is though, CCleaner has been a trusted piece of software for many years. I don't just go installing stuff I've never heard of before (or the makers of it) and letting it go wild on my system. It's up there with downloading dodgy toolbars and stuff.
    • Knarf44
    • By Knarf44 27th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Knarf44
    Lee

With respect, PrivaZer is not some piece of dodgy crapware that has appeared overnight to take advantage of people's sudden paranoia about CCleaner.

I have been using both CCleaner on my laptop and PrivaZer on my desktop for at least the last three years without any problems with either.

Nobody on here is saying stop using CCleaner but one or two asked if there were any alternatives. Just because you personally have never heard of PrivaZer doesn't mean it should be dismissed out of hand. I had never heard of BleachBit before reading this thread but I am open minded to test it on my system to see what I think of it.

PrivaZer has in fact been well tested and reviewed and the company that makes it has a link on its website to those reviews
    Have a read, see what you think and maybe even test it. Then if you don't like it, fair enough, but don't just dismiss it because you've never heard of it.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 27th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    whattochoose
    http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-alternatives-to-ccleaner
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 26,464 Posts
    • 14,236 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The thing is though, CCleaner has been a trusted piece of software for many years. I don't just go installing stuff I've never heard of before (or the makers of it) and letting it go wild on my system. It's up there with downloading dodgy toolbars and stuff.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    My issue was how long it was sat on my system before they detected it.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 28th Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Lee

With respect, PrivaZer is not some piece of dodgy crapware that has appeared overnight to take advantage of people's sudden paranoia about CCleaner.

I have been using both CCleaner on my laptop and PrivaZer on my desktop for at least the last three years without any problems with either.

Nobody on here is saying stop using CCleaner but one or two asked if there were any alternatives. Just because you personally have never heard of PrivaZer doesn't mean it should be dismissed out of hand. I had never heard of BleachBit before reading this thread but I am open minded to test it on my system to see what I think of it.

PrivaZer has in fact been well tested and reviewed and the company that makes it has a link on its website to those reviews
    Have a read, see what you think and maybe even test it. Then if you don't like it, fair enough, but don't just dismiss it because you've never heard of it.
    I will give it a go.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 29th Sep 17, 12:56 AM
    • 26,464 Posts
    • 14,236 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Tried bleach bit today. Itís terrible. You canít check and delete registries. You also canít open any folder on your pc because every time you try to bleach bit pops up and asks if you want to delete the folders contents.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 29th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    whattochoose
    Tried bleach bit today. Itís terrible. You canít check and delete registries. You also canít open any folder on your pc because every time you try to bleach bit pops up and asks if you want to delete the folders contents.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    I find Glary Utilities pretty good, and it has lots of different features. However, I always found Ccleaner the best at actually removing temporary files, cookies, etc. With regard to registry cleaners, I was always wary of using that feature and always left the box unticked.
    Based on your experience I think I'll give bleach bit a miss.

http://www.glarysoft.com
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 29th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 26,464 Posts
    • 14,236 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I find Glary Utilities pretty good, and it has lots of different features. However, I always found Ccleaner the best at actually removing temporary files, cookies, etc. With regard to registry cleaners, I was always wary of using that feature and always left the box unticked.
    Based on your experience I think I'll give bleach bit a miss.

http://www.glarysoft.com
    Originally posted by whattochoose
    I used to leave registries I was unsure about. Some are obvious though. For examples you could have replaced Norton with kaspersky and find left over registries from Norton.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 1st Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    whattochoose
    For the few asking about an alternative to CCleaner, you could try

PrivaZer

As with CCleaner though, if you are unsure about what you should be cleaning leave the software in its default mode until you have learned about its capabilities.
    I've downloaded this. I like the fact you can do an "in-depth" scan or more simple cleanup of internet activity like files, cookies, etc.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 2nd Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    Biggles
    They seem to have streamlined the update process too, so you no longer have to download the installer and manually run it.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    I noticed that; big improvement!

Though maybe, as the title ('CCleaner compromised') is no longer true, maybe I shouldn't have replied but just let this thread quietly die.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 12th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Terry98
    I did not realise that Kaspersky made CCleaner.

Is this right https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/antivirus-program-let-in-russian-spies-kbq9gsnkz ?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I did not realise that Kaspersky made CCleaner.

Is this right https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/antivirus-program-let-in-russian-spies-kbq9gsnkz ?
    Originally posted by Terry98
    I can't read the whole article as it's behind a pay wall.

Anyway, CCleaner is not owned by Kaspersky, it was until recently owned by a private software house but it has since been bought out by Avast.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 12th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Terry98
    That was all they had in The Times.

I searched the story on other sites and CCleaner was not mentioned.

The Times can make mistakes like anybody else,I suppose!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,623Posts Today

7,315Users online

Martin's Twitter