Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happyc84
    • By happyc84 17th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 129Posts
    • 76Thanks
    happyc84
    Waterproof Jacket - refund or repair, are the shop messing me about.
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    Waterproof Jacket - refund or repair, are the shop messing me about. 17th Sep 17 at 10:23 AM
    Bought a nice waterproof jacket from an established supplier in Glasgow, just along from Central Station.

Still in 2 year warranty, bought less than 1 year ago. Found out that the fabric was ripped due to a failure in the design.

Spoke to Barbour - they said they don't do repair, and to get a refund from the shop.

Went to shop, with receipt. told it has to go to Barbour for inspection.
    Staff told me they could not give refund, without Barbour looking at it. Grrrr.

So 2 weeks later no jacket and its raining. Apart from buying another umbrella, am I wrong to expect the shop to follow the instruction I received from Barbour for the refund.

One part of the business
Page 1
    • Zero Gravitas
    • By Zero Gravitas 17th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Zero Gravitas
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    Bought a nice waterproof jacket from an established supplier in Glasgow, just along from Central Station.

Still in 2 year warranty, bought less than 1 year ago. Found out that the fabric was ripped due to a failure in the design.

Spoke to Barbour - they said they don't do repair, and to get a refund from the shop.

So 2 weeks later no jacket and its raining. Apart from buying another umbrella, am I wrong to expect the shop to follow the instruction I received from Barbour for the refund.

One part of the business
    Originally posted by happyc84
    Oh. I bought a Barbour waxed cotton jacket in 1988. Every ten years I've sent it back to Barbour for factory reproofing, and at each "service" they've also done minor repairs as well. It's due again next year - I'm now a bit worried they've stopped doing this...
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 17th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    Yes you are wrong to expect them to just refund without finding out the cause of the rip. If it is a manufactuing fault you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund (could be partial if it is more than six months since purchase). They may however find that the rip has been caused by something else meaning you are not entitled to anything.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    As above after 6 months its up to you to prove this manufacturing defect via an independent report . Either you employ a qualified person or let Barbour do the inspection .
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    Oh. I bought a Barbour waxed cotton jacket in 1988. Every ten years I've sent it back to Barbour for factory reproofing, and at each "service" they've also done minor repairs as well. It's due again next year - I'm now a bit worried they've stopped doing this...
    Originally posted by Zero Gravitas
    They still offer reproofing.

I suspect yours is a classic/ functional Barbour, whereas OP's is more of a fashion one.
    • happyc84
    • By happyc84 17th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    happyc84
    • 17th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I've had in my past bought 2 Beaufort jackets, first was way back when Maggie was still PM.

This is also my second waterproof Jacket from them.

Here is hoping they don't take too long to make a decision. As they don't make that product any more and it's still under warranty, I will probably have to make do with a refund.

So who else makes good robust outdoor waterproof jacket made in the UK for £200-250?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 17th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    Musto are very popular.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 11,413 Posts
    • 8,576 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    Shop seem to be being fair so far - as above they could have asked you to prove it was inherent.

Although be aware any refund they offer can be reduced to take account of the use you had of it.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 12,734 Posts
    • 8,211 Thanks
    photome
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    They still offer reproofing.

I suspect yours is a classic/ functional Barbour, whereas OP's is more of a fashion one.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Is the reproofing free

I have an only classic waxed Barbour ( about 30 years old that has never been reproofed
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 18th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    parkrunner

One part of the business
    Completely wrong I'm afraid, they can only do what Barbour tell them.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 18th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 23,054 Thanks
    pulliptears
    Is the reproofing free

I have an only classic waxed Barbour ( about 30 years old that has never been reproofed
    Originally posted by photome
    No, they charge, but it's really easy to do yourself.
    Barbour stores sell the thornproof dressing. Few decent tutorials on Youtube will explain it.

DH has reproofed a few of his Belstaffs and Barbours. Look great.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• happyc84
    • By happyc84 29th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    happyc84
    3 weeks and still no update from supplier.

How long is a reasonable period of time.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 30th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 9,502 Posts
    • 10,672 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    3 weeks and still no update from supplier.

How long is a reasonable period of time.
    Has the coat been returned to the retailer for them to forward on to Barbour? and if so, how long ago did this happen?
    • happyc84
    • By happyc84 1st Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    happyc84
    Has the coat been returned to the retailer for them to forward on to Barbour? and if so, how long ago did this happen?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa

was returned to retailer, then they sent it on to Barbour. been 3 weeks now. retailer has not exactly been honest with long the process takes. Either they don't know or not interested.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Oct 17, 3:53 PM
    • 30,124 Posts
    • 19,067 Thanks
    DCFC79
    was returned to retailer, then they sent it on to Barbour. been 3 weeks now. retailer has not exactly been honest with long the process takes. Either they don't know or not interested.
    They possibly have no idea how long it takes, its dependant how many they have to look at, how many staff do the inspections.

Have you asked them to find out how long it could be ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • happyc84
    • By happyc84 8th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    happyc84
    got refund, all good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin