Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreddieM
    • By FreddieM 16th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 941Posts
    • 1,229Thanks
    FreddieM
    When Does a warranty start& End?
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    When Does a warranty start& End? 16th Sep 17 at 11:02 PM
    I bought a new HTC mobile phone off E Bay in May with a 90 day warranty, it had a faulty screen so I requested a replacement which was accepted and replaced at the end of July. The replacement unit has a similar fault, so I have written and asked for a replacement unit. The seller has refused since it was outside the 90 day warranty. My question is, does the 90 day warranty start and end from the original purchase date or, does a 90 day warranty start with the replacement unit? Thanks
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 16th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    bris
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    Warranties start and finish from the day of the original sale regardless of how many replacements you have. Sometimes, bur very rarely a manufacture or retailer will extend a warranty for replacements.

This does no affect your statutory rights, explain your problem on the consumer rights board for your consumer rights.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Sep 17, 12:30 AM
    • 9,593 Posts
    • 10,752 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:30 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:30 AM
    I bought a new HTC mobile phone off E Bay in May with a 90 day warranty
    Originally posted by FreddieM

Are you sure that the phone was new and not refurbished as HTC
    normally provide a 2 year warranty on their mobile phones.
    It might be worth contacting HTC and seeing what they say as you may well find that the phone is covered by their manufacturers warranty.
    • FreddieM
    • By FreddieM 17th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    FreddieM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    It was sold as new and the box was sealed so I have reason to believe it was new.
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    Was the seller a business who sell lots of phones?

May have been a refurb, did they repair the screen or replace the entire phone? Possible its had an unauthorised repair now so the HTC warranty maybe void.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 11,181 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    A warranty is subject to the terms the seller gives. Your legal position doesn't change.

At what time did the original screen fail and when was it replaced. How long after did the replacement fail?
    • FreddieM
    • By FreddieM 17th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    FreddieM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    The original screen went wrong within a week. They didn't change the screen, they changed the phone. I suggested it may have been part of a batch but they disagree
    • FreddieM
    • By FreddieM 17th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    FreddieM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    Was the seller a business who sell lots of phones?

May have been a refurb, did they repair the screen or replace the entire phone? Possible its had an unauthorised repair now so the HTC warranty maybe void.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

Yes phones and accessories

Advertised as a new phone, they replaced the phone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

5,077Users online

Martin's Twitter