Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 16th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Habib2342
    Leaving your car idle
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    Leaving your car idle 16th Sep 17 at 10:56 PM
    Hi,

What happens if you leave your car idle ? By that I mean if you don't use it at all for a while and not turning on the engine and leave it running- so leaving the car unused for say a month - how will the car deteriorate if not used?

thanks,

habib.
Page 2
    • tiamaria
    • By tiamaria 1st Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    tiamaria
    I bought a 3 year old Kia last month, I went on holiday for 8 days, came back and had to buy a new battery as it died in my absence!

Also had to jumpstart my TT this morning as it hasn't been driven for a few weeks, just starting up the engine every few days obviously wasn't enough
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 1st Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    Richard53
    The usual rule of thumb is that it takes 15 minutes or so of running to replenish what the starter took out of the battery. So if you keep starting the car, running it for less than 15 minutes and then stopping it again, the battery will eventually go flat. If you start the car at all, it should be run for long enough to get the engine fully warm - 20 minutes or so. This will drive moisture out of the oil, engine and exhaust.

For me, up to 3 months I would just leave it in gear with the handbrake off and keep the battery charged regularly. A full tank of fuel would help to prevent moisture condensing in the tank and contaminating the petrol/diesel. Above 3 months and I would be thinking of a proper lay-up routine.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 2nd Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 6,402 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I bought a 3 year old Kia last month, I went on holiday for 8 days, came back and had to buy a new battery as it died in my absence!

Also had to jumpstart my TT this morning as it hasn't been driven for a few weeks, just starting up the engine every few days obviously wasn't enough
    Originally posted by tiamaria
    The battery on the Kia could have already been poor, 8 days idle with a healthy car and battery shouldn't be a problem.

Starting the engine every few days on the TT is probably why the battery was flat.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Ranger8
    • By Ranger8 3rd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Ranger8
    Its left outside my flat in open air parking and is the following ;

Renault Megane
    Hatchback (2006 - 2009) MK 2 Facelift 1.6 VVT Dynamique 3dr
    Originally posted by Habib2342
    Get yourself a solar power battery charger plugged into your obd, live 12v socket or connected direct to your battery.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Solar-Powered-Car-Battery-Charger/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507017895&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+power+battery+charger
    I`ve one on both my vehicles and they do the job of keeping battery power up.
    If all fails don`t lose any sleep over it just scrap the car and get another
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin