Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 16th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Habib2342
    Leaving your car idle
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    Leaving your car idle 16th Sep 17 at 10:56 PM
    Hi,

What happens if you leave your car idle ? By that I mean if you don't use it at all for a while and not turning on the engine and leave it running- so leaving the car unused for say a month - how will the car deteriorate if not used?

thanks,

habib.
Page 1
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 16th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 3,572 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    Over a month or so you won't have many problems:

Thanks to modern electronics you may end up with a flat battery.

If you leave the hand brake on (especially in wet weather) you may find it's stuck on. So, if you can, leave the handbrake off with the car in gear.

If the car's in reasonable condition that should be just about it really!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Sep 17, 12:29 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 2,536 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:29 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:29 AM
    My neighbour and I look after each other's cars whilst one of us is away for more than a few days. However, we live in a Close which is a cul-de-sac and the understanding is that the one still here will move the other's car around the Close every other day, to work the brakes, run the engine and ensure there are no problems. Doing that on a street or main road, would obviously cause potential insurance problems.

Joe Horner's advice about the handbrake off is good. Moving the car and applying brakes also prevents surface rust forming on brake discs. Very long periods parked in one place, may cause tyre surfaces to flatten slightly under the weight. But up to a month, there should be no problems. Is it garaged?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Sep 17, 12:37 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:37 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:37 AM
    My neighbour and I look after each other's cars whilst one of us is away for more than a few days. However, we live in a Close which is a cul-de-sac and the understanding is that the one still here will move the other's car around the Close every other day, to work the brakes, run the engine and ensure there are no problems. Doing that on a street or main road, would obviously cause potential insurance problems.

Joe Horner's advice about the handbrake off is good. Moving the car and applying brakes also prevents surface rust forming on brake discs. Very long periods parked in one place, may cause tyre surfaces to flatten slightly under the weight. But up to a month, there should be no problems. Is it garaged?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Same as moving it in your close really.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 17th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 2,536 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    Same as moving it in your close really.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Drink drive in a cul de sac, it's ok officer it's.not a street or main road
    • takman
    • By takman 17th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    takman
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:58 AM

Just starting the engine and running it up and down the road will do more gaek than good to the engine because it never warms up fully. It will also put extra strain on the battery by starting the car and not being charged enough, so will reduce the life of the battery.

Plus as the poster above said it doesn't matter what kind of road it's driven on they ALL need the driver to be insured. So overall it's a pretty silly idea, you would be better off just leaving it parked up.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    I'm with others on this. Starting the car, driving it a short distance then parking it again is doing more harm than good. You are already causing potential insurance problems, too. If you're intent on helping one another out, you need to add one another to each others' insurance policies and take the car for a decent run out once in a while rather than pootling around a close. If you don't want to go to that trouble, you're best off leaving the cars where they are and if you've any concerns over their condition after a long period away, get a mobile mechanic to give them a check before you start them.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 11,548 Posts
    • 6,462 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    There's old school opinion that you need to run the car for 10 minutes every week or so, this is completely wrong and is probably yet another piece of non-sense taken out of context from breakdown recovery guys trying to simplify technical jargon.

For a month or so, just need to keep the battery charged up.

A garage is nice as long as it's not damp.

A car cover is bad, as this holds damp inside and rots the car.

Just look at all the brand new cars that sit in fields for months, they don't take any special measures for those.
    Last edited by Strider590; 17-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 17th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    So long as your own policy allows you to drive other cars, it's not illegal - but you would only be covered for third party risks, not for any damage you might do to the car itself. Still seems a bit of an odd idea though.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 12,739 Posts
    • 16,924 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    So long as your own policy allows you to drive other cars, it's not illegal - but you would only be covered for third party risks, not for any damage you might do to the car itself. Still seems a bit of an odd idea though.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Are you sure you have the right thread?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 11,548 Posts
    • 6,462 Thanks
    Strider590
    So long as your own policy allows you to drive other cars, it's not illegal
    Originally posted by trailingspouse

And you have to be careful, because most fully comp policies now exclude TPFT cover when using other peoples cars.
    This was introduced to stop young drivers insuring puny little cars and then driving around in daddies GTI.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 6,415 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Come on, to be fair we don't know how this close looks.

It may be private and gated, and cover several miles of sealed road allowing a good run for each car.

Unlikely though.
    • mark1959
    • By mark1959 17th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    mark1959
    We've left 2 cars for 4 months in our end of summer/autumn. The first, a newish mini in the garage, no problems . The second, an oldish ford focus,outside on the drive,rusted brake discs and a flat battery.
    • Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 17th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Habib2342
    I'm a bit concerned because autumn and winter is approaching,,,i only plan to use the car at the weekends due to myself breaking the speeding laws as documented heavily on another thread...are there any extra precautions to take to preserve the car in the cold months ahead ?
    • Wig
    • By Wig 17th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 13,521 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    Wig
    I agree with hand brake left off, if at all possible, leave it in gear. After having so many handbrake stuck on I always leave them off if laying the car up for a while.

If it is an old battery (10 years old) battery may go flat, if relatively new, 5 years or less, it should be ok.

If it is an old car and left outside, and the weather is cold and wet, it may go mouldy inside, but within a month probably not unless the car has gotten cold and mouldy before. To stop mould...wipe the steering wheel and gear change leaver & handbrake covers with tea tree oil and anywhere else you want to...like dash, door cards.
    My latest discovery, LSAT test questions online, logical questions, fun to do. Find example and past tests online, start at the LSAC.org website.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 17th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 5,102 Thanks
    jack_pott
    You might need to mow the grass if it starts sprouting from the carpet.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 12,019 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    jimjames
    Are you sure you have the right thread?
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Seems exactly the right thread and I was going to post the same thing.

And you have to be careful, because most fully comp policies now exclude TPFT cover when using other peoples cars.
    This was introduced to stop young drivers insuring puny little cars and then driving around in daddies GTI.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Maybe if you're a young driver then it's excluded but all my recent policies including my 2 current ones both have TP cover for other cars.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 18th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    docmatt
    I'm a bit concerned because autumn and winter is approaching,,,i only plan to use the car at the weekends due to myself breaking the speeding laws as documented heavily on another thread...are there any extra precautions to take to preserve the car in the cold months ahead ?
    Originally posted by Habib2342
    Habib is it garaged? Or left outside? What car is it?
    • Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 18th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Habib2342
    Its left outside my flat in open air parking and is the following ;

Renault Megane
    Hatchback (2006 - 2009) MK 2 Facelift 1.6 VVT Dynamique 3dr
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 18th Sep 17, 8:40 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    docmatt
    Its left outside my flat in open air parking and is the following ;

Renault Megane
    Hatchback (2006 - 2009) MK 2 Facelift 1.6 VVT Dynamique 3dr
    Originally posted by Habib2342
    Oh I assumed it was a weekend summer only car like a Caterham or something lol

Just disconnect the battery and lock it up dude.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

310Posts Today

3,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin