Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • norm_
    • By norm_ 16th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 150Posts
    • 96Thanks
    norm_
    Is no credit history at new address causing car insurance hike?
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    Is no credit history at new address causing car insurance hike? 16th Sep 17 at 9:40 PM
    I've checked quotes for car insurance at my soon to be new address and they are coming back at near enough double the current address.

The both have a low-risk B category postcode.

How can this be?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 32,729 Posts
    • 16,745 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    Maybe to do with claims history in that area

Ensure you follow all the suggestions in the mse guide to car insurance (link amongst quick links at the top of the page)
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    • 25,667 Posts
    • 10,200 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    Because the categories are not defined enough. So insurers will have their own rating for the actual street.

One street may have very few claims where the next road may have lots.

See how it compares on the comparison sites. If they are all high then its possibly a high claim area.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 17th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    To find out whether it really is a 'credit history' issue, you could request some quotes for your current address (or maybe near your current address), using a dummy name.

The dummy name will have no 'credit history'.

That should help you determine whether it's a 'credit history' issue, or whether it's a 'higher risk address' issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,665Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin