Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pbos
    • By Pbos 16th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Pbos
    mistake in registration number
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    mistake in registration number 16th Sep 17 at 9:02 PM
    I was driving my Wife's car and parked it properly and paid the correct charge. My Wife received a PCN for £100.00. I wrote to appeal this and sent the receipt. It was issued because I had not entered some of the registration letters correctly in the parking machine so they thought I had not paid. The receipt clearly showed that I had paid the right amount for the time parked.
    The appeal was refused and another charge issued for £30.00 "As the full and correct vehicle registration was not entered into the payment machine"
    I can appeal to POPLA but if the appeal is rejected they say that the full amount of the PCN will become due.
    Is it best to appeal or pay the £30.00 or ignore the correspondence? It worries us as elderly pensioners never before having been fined. This was just an error of typing in the number.
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 7,844 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    Please tell us which PPC is involved, then read the Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum before digging your hole any deeper - Ignoring stopped being the most viable option some years ago!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Sep 17, 12:18 AM
    • 51,440 Posts
    • 65,043 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:18 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:18 AM
    My Wife received a PCN for £100.00. I wrote to appeal this and sent the receipt.
    So you threw away the appeal/defence point about 'no keeper liability' then, by appealing as driver yourself, even though the letter went to the keeper and was winnable (probably) on that basis by your wife. Oh dear.

Which PPC did you hand your details to on a plate, instead of your wife appealing as keeper?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 17th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    You have not been fined, you have been invoiced, and, just as can happen when you do not pay the plumber, they can take you to court for their money.

Whether a judge would agree that you owe them anything at all for what is, in effect, a very human error, is another matter.

Their MO is fear, threats, lies, and intimidation. You would probably lose a POPLA appeal, but, were they daft enough to take you to court, you have, in my opinion, a good chance of winning, which will cost them several hundred pounds.

Read about unfair terms in consumer contracts here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted.
    Last edited by The Deep; 17-09-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Pbos
    • By Pbos 17th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Pbos
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    The PCN was issued by Premier Park Ltd.
    • Pbos
    • By Pbos 17th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Pbos
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    It was issued by Premier Park Ltd.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 51,440 Posts
    • 65,043 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    OK, this might be harder to win at POPLA than if you hadn't appealed as driver. It's up to you whether you want to pay the £30 to make it go away, or as a matter of principle, want to fight, which will involve:

- a POPLA appeal, which if you lose you do NOT have to pay up, but PP will demand £100 & pretend you have to pay!

- you can then ignore the demands, nothing happens from debt collector letters

- they might try a small claim, which we can help you defend (but they may never try!)

- you can carry on ignoring it if no claim arrives

- you should complain to your MP. Premier Park didn't think you hadn't paid - they knew you had all along, and the entire parking 'charge' was and is, a scam.

However, it's a unique kind of scam that some firms sometimes try in small claims court (we almost always win), so it's a question of whether you are someone who wants to try the POPLA route and even if you don't win that, do you have the confidence not to worry about 'scary red font' on debt collector letters if you lose?

Do you have the confidence to ignore those letters and come back if they try a small claim, and see what a Judge says?

It's winnable but is the time taken and possible worry, worth more than £30 to you? I hate saying that - and we wouldn't pay - but you seem worried, so are you up for this fight? No risk of huge costs or bailiffs, by the way. Even if a person loses a defended small claim they'd just pay about £175, and we almost never see a lost case, so people here usually pay nothing at all and claim their own costs back!

Your decision. Either way, please complain to your MP about this scam - it is important that everyone does.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Pbos
    • By Pbos 18th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Pbos
    • 18th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    Your reply is much appreciated. I am trying to establish who employs PP and try to involve their help to cancel the charge. If they are not helpful I may, very reluctantly, pay the £30 to get them off our backs. I have put a warning to other users on the shopping Centre management's website and sent the Manager an email about the case asking for his response to PP driving away shoppers through simple mistakes.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 18th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 18th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    Your reply is much appreciated. I am trying to establish who employs PP and try to involve their help to cancel the charge. If they are not helpful I may, very reluctantly, pay the £30 to get them off our backs. I have put a warning to other users on the shopping Centre management's website and sent the Manager an email about the case asking for his response to PP driving away shoppers through simple mistakes.
    Originally posted by Pbos
    Did your email to the shopping centre management company ask them to cancel the charge?

That would seem the most sensible thing to do.
    • Pbos
    • By Pbos 21st Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Pbos
    The Centre Manager phoned me and said he could have cancelled the ticket if I had reported the problem before leaving the car park but cannot intervene now that PCN issued and subsequent invoice sent. I explained the machine was very sensitive and another person I know entered multiples of the same letter accidentally more than once before entering it correctly. He will have the machine checked and let me know the result.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    • 51,440 Posts
    • 65,043 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Refer the matter to your MP because the landowner CAN cancel the PCN. Get some backing behind you, this is clearly a scam and needs exposing.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

5,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin