Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 16th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    Concessionary bus pas?
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    Concessionary bus pas? 16th Sep 17 at 8:38 PM
    I already have a bus pass but I'm wondering if I would be entitled to a companion bus pass so I don't have to pay for my support staff to accompany on the bus. I can travel on the bus on my own but when I have to go to appointments it gets expensive for staff fares. I also would like to know if you have a companion bus pass does that mean you can't travel on your own with it?
Page 1
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 16th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 11,240 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    I already havpass but I'm wondering if I would be entitled to a companion bus pass so I don't have to pay for my support staff to accompany on the bus. I can travel on the bus on my own but when I have to go to appointments it gets expensive for staff fares. I also would like to know if you have a companion bus pass does that mean you can't travel on your own with it?
    Originally posted by nicetomeetyou
    The criteria for a companion varies by area. In Scotland if you qualify for a bus pass on the grounds of middle/high care DLA or PIP daily living you automatically get a +1 on your card. The card for registered blind also comes with an automatic +1 on it. No one else qualifies for a companion on automatic grounds.

If you do get the companion then you don't need to travel with one, it's just when you want to travel with someone they'll also get on the bus for free.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 7,009 Posts
    • 18,908 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    My son gets a plus one discount on trains, but no such help on the bus - he's epileptic.

+1 for It Varies - both with location & with disability.
    Google is a potent tool for research, and for finding both application sites & evidence required/restrictions imposed.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 16th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    Apologies for butting in but I always think this is good for me, I live in Scotland but the problem is proving it too as I only get low rate DLA both types, and can go places but its that I need support emotionally that I need i.e friends or family to go on trips with me

But theres no clear way of proving eligibility it seems due to things like if you can handle going around yourself.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    With the bus pass i don't think there's anyway anyone can get one unless you automatically qualify. I used to have one years ago but i lost my drving license because of epilepsy, which meant i automatically qualified. When i had my license back i had to return the bus pass.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 17th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 18,024 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    i live in dwebyshire and get a free bus pass because i am blind. however tere isno carers pass available and o i have the pay my PA's fre when we go out.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 17th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 15,063 Posts
    • 37,728 Thanks
    elsien
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    In my area you only get the companion pass if you need care and support at all times. You need DLA higher rate Care or 8 points Care for PIP to qualify.

The people with learning disabilities I worked with who were unable to go out anywhere independently due to lack of awareness of danger didn't qualify because they were only on middle rate Care. Which always seemed unfair to me as they never went out alone.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 17th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 15,551 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    I'm in Merseyside and there is no companion pass at all. My son cannot get to the bus stop on his own, never mind travel alone, but there is no possibility of a companion pass for me as Merseytravel just don't issue them - he's on high rate care and high rate mobility.
    • Peter6268
    • By Peter6268 18th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Peter6268
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    North Yorkshire Council, my local authority sent me a '+C' Concessionary Travel pass (ie for myself and a carer/companion) albeit I didn't ask for it and don't really need the '+C' part. Even when it was renewed a couple of years ago, I still received the '+C' card. However, as I understand it the '+C' is only valid within the local authority area where the pass was issued (and any reciprocal arrangements between adjoining councils'.

I just wish my London free tube/bus pass had a ‘Plus C’ part, as whenever I visit London I find walking underground between tube lines very difficult and could use a ‘free companion’ pass when I am there.

Overall, it just goes to show that all local authorities/government departments are different in how they treat the 'plus carer' situation.

Peter
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 18th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    Seems another postcode lottery.

I originally had a disabled persons bus pass from Wiltshire.. but never used it as wasn't well enough. Heard about the companion option so phoned to ask for a form expecting a paper trail and they just updated my pass to a +C. I have now used it a twice in 4 years but it will be there when I am stronger.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 18th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 18,024 Thanks
    nannytone
    North Yorkshire Council, my local authority sent me a '+C' Concessionary Travel pass (ie for myself and a carer/companion) albeit I didn't ask for it and don't really need the '+C' part. Even when it was renewed a couple of years ago, I still received the '+C' card. However, as I understand it the '+C' is only valid within the local authority area where the pass was issued (and any reciprocal arrangements between adjoining councils'.

I just wish my London free tube/bus pass had a ‘Plus C’ part, as whenever I visit London I find walking underground between tube lines very difficult and could use a ‘free companion’ pass when I am there.

Overall, it just goes to show that all local authorities/government departments are different in how they treat the 'plus carer' situation.

Peter
    Originally posted by Peter6268
    why do you have a free tube/bus pass for london if you don't live there?
    • Peter6268
    • By Peter6268 18th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Peter6268
    why do you have a free tube/bus pass for london if you don't live there?
    Originally posted by nannytone
    VCTS Pass - it works the same as a Freedom Pass when visiting London.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,297Posts Today

8,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin