Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lara
    • By Lara 16th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,781Posts
    • 1,769Thanks
    Lara
    Paid by PayPal asked for cash
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    Paid by PayPal asked for cash 16th Sep 17 at 8:19 PM
    I listed a large item and stated Cash on collection.

Person has paid by PayPal. This means they will take a percentage of it as well as eBay. I am presuming correctly 10%?

Would I be able to refund the PayPal amount and they pay cash?
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 59,077 Posts
    • 41,870 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    You need to read the sticky thread about the problems of collection only items. There is nothing to stop you refunding and requesting cash, but that could mean you get a defect for the refund, and also have a buyer unwilling to proceed further which will cost you your FVFs even on the no sale. Alternatively if the item is expensive or scammable and you accept PayPal buyer can merely claim INR and get their money back after collecting.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 16th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 8,429 Posts
    • 4,902 Thanks
    RFW

Would I be able to refund the PayPal amount and they pay cash?
    Originally posted by Lara
    Yes, you need to contact the buyer first to let them know.
    The Paypal fee is less than 10% but the reason for not accepting for collection items is not to save in fees. It's mostly so you don't lose your item and face a claim for non receipt (amongst other possibilities).
    • Lara
    • By Lara 16th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Lara
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    Thanks. The buyer contacted me and asked if I wanted cash on collection or PayPal despite me stating cash on collection in my listing. Unfortunately she didn't wait for me to answer and paid via PayPal which I am not happy about as it means I now have to pay PayPal fees.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 59,077 Posts
    • 41,870 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    Thanks. The buyer contacted me and asked if I wanted cash on collection or PayPal despite me stating cash on collection in my listing. Unfortunately she didn't wait for me to answer and paid via PayPal which I am not happy about as it means I now have to pay PayPal fees.
    Have you read the sticky thread I directed you to? paying fees might be the least of your issues.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Lara
    • By Lara 16th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Lara
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    Yes I have soolin. The item can't be posted as too large - piece of furniture. I just preferred the buyer to view the item first to make sure they are happy with it and then pay. As it is let's hope they're happy!
    • Lara
    • By Lara 17th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Lara
    • 17th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    EDITED:
    Collected and buyer was perfectly happy with it. All's well but thanks for your help everyone.
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 17th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    EDITED:
    Collected and buyer was perfectly happy with it. All's well but thanks for your help everyone.
    I hope that you are correct, but the point of many of the comments here was to point out that if the buyer is a scammer, they now have 180 days in which to raise an Item Not Received claim with PayPal, which you would be unable to defend.
    Philip
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 59,077 Posts
    • 41,870 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    I hope that you are correct, but the point of many of the comments here was to point out that if the buyer is a scammer, they now have 180 days in which to raise an Item Not Received claim with PayPal, which you would be unable to defend.
    Originally posted by GabbaGabbaHey
    Or if a scammer the usual response is to chargeback as an unknown payment on a debit/credit card and if questioned claim that your account was hacked and you know nothing about the purchase and collection. Usually that is easily defended with proof of postage, obviously not in this case.

I have occasionally allowed PayPal on collection , but have always weighed up the risks and know what could happen if my instincts were wrong.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Lara
    • By Lara 17th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Lara
    Yes thanks I understand what soolin was saying and the consequences. I don't think there will be any come back as the purchaser was an older gentleman and used eBay a lot. I trust my instinct on this occasion and I'm usually a good judge of character - in the flesh!lol. However the comments here have made me far more aware of what could happen. So my thanks to you all for making me aware of a problem I never knew about. I sell very little and this item was an exception not being able to post.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 25,675 Posts
    • 10,204 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Perfect account to hack though, longstanding account with good feedback.

Older gentlemen can still be dodgy. You probably missed the TV show where a couple found out their car was stolen, they had owned it for months.

Turns out the old lady who sold it to them failed to mention it was a mobility vehicle and not hers to sell. Old disabled woman in a nice house dressed nicely etc..

Appearances can be deceiving.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 10,878 Posts
    • 7,292 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I am on a phone, so apologies, did they pay by cash in the end?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 18th Sep 17, 1:22 AM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 10,603 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Provided that the paypal dispute team are aware of their own policies, a claim for goods not received shouldn't be possible as one of the exceptions for buyer protection is:
    "purchases of items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf (including at a retail point of sale) and which you claim to be Not Received;"

If the OP had e-mail correspondence stating that the item would be collected, and they could show that postal or courier delivery was not offered on the listing, an INR should in reality, fail.
    This doesn't prevent a chargeback for an unauthorised payment but it should prevent a direct Paypal claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,286Posts Today

8,144Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin