Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,740Posts
    • 2,537Thanks
    Robisere
    Laughable offer from Sky
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    Laughable offer from Sky 16th Sep 17 at 4:14 PM
    I have been with Sky for almost a year and was undecided whether or not to continue. They then sent me an offer which has made up my mind to leave, so I have written (not phoned or Emailed) to cancel from the date of cotract end.

I had TV services, HD Basic, Sky 3D which I don't use. Broadband & Talk, Line Rental, Talk Anytime extra, Call package, all based upon Sky Fibre Unlimited, the download speed of hwich is considerably lower than when I first took it. I don't have Sports or Films, just Box Sets. Their letter presented as a 'saving' of £20.90, but on closer reading and working out, it is actually a monthly increase of £14.70. I believe that Sky thinks the public are so dumb that most of them will accept this without question, but I see it as an insult to my intelligence. I had a lot of problems with the service within the first few months, but this has ended my interest in Sky. I'm off.

I will not end the broadband/phone/talk side of things yet, but as soon as possible I will.

How can such a company make such incorrect claims about an 'offer'? I question their business ethic, they are a thoroughly disreputable and possibly fraudulent bunch.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    I have been with Sky for almost a year and was undecided whether or not to continue. They then sent me an offer which has made up my mind to leave,
    Originally posted by Robisere
    You wouldn't have been given an "offer" to stay while you are still within the twelve month minimum term because you currently cannot leave!

"Possibly fraudulent"???
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 2,537 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    You wouldn't have been given an "offer" to stay while you are still within the twelve month minimum term because you currently cannot leave!

"Possibly fraudulent"???
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    A more involved explanation, considering that you do not appear to have read my post -
    They sent me an offer by letter, with an acknowledgement that my contract ends on 26 October 2017. The letter is dated 13 September 2017 and carries this information:
    Product/saving: TV.
    New saving: £20.90.
    New offer start date: 26 October 2017
    New offer end date: 26 October 2018.
    I state in the original Post that I have written to cancel the contract "from the date of the contract end." They present the offer as a saving of £20.90, but this is the calculation which shows an actual increase of £14.70:

Box Sets increased from £10.00 to £17.90
    Bill for due date 26 September 2017: Total = £49.39.
    If I accept this new offer -
    "Future Bill" proposed for due date 26 October 2017:
    Total = £64.09
    Increase - (£64.09) - (£49.39) = £14.70

They offer me a monthly payment which is presented in writing as a "New Saving". It is actually an increase. What would you call that, providing you have actually read, digested and understood the simple arithematic involved?

Presenting an increase as a saving. Fraud is the word I think.

And I was given " an offer to stay " despite what you say. It's all there, you just had to read it.
    Last edited by Robisere; 17-09-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Sep 17, 1:23 AM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:23 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:23 AM

And I was given " an offer to stay " despite what you say. It's all there, you just had to read it.
    The fact remains that you cannot leave until the remainder of your minimum term is up. If you were indeed made such an "offer to stay", this is the first time I have read that a customer has been given an unintentional incentive to leave.

Again, "Possibly fraudulent"??? Contact the police if you truly believe fraud has been committed, that's a serious crime.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 17th Sep 17, 2:26 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    decbel
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:26 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:26 AM
    You certainly could be offered an offer within an offer.

Happens all the time.

They want to retain your business

They've worked out the math.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 17th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    The fact remains that you cannot leave until the remainder of your minimum term is up. If you were indeed made such an "offer to stay", this is the first time I have read that a customer has been given an unintentional incentive to leave.

Again, "Possibly fraudulent"??? Contact the police if you truly believe fraud has been committed, that's a serious crime.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    You can 'leave' whenever you like, it's not a prison sentence, you just have to pay a penalty charge pro rata of your term remaining. I have 'left' with 2 months of my contract left and gone with freesat and NowTv because there is no contract and cheaper by far even with discounts from sky.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 17th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    The 'new' saving is against the list price , so your soon to expire deal is presumably a saving of about £35 per month, they put the price up by about £15 so the 'new' saving is about £20, obviously it's not a saving on what you currently pay, it's an increase on that but still a 'saving'.
    All these type of company's are careful to present information regarding pricing in the best possible way (from their point of view)
    I have just received a notification from Virgin telling me how grateful I should be that to improve their broadband only service to me,( absolutely nothing has changed) they have increased the price I pay by £1.99 , and nowhere on the letter does it either show the old or new total, just the increase, they obviously think by not presenting the actual total I won't notice the price has increased by over 25% in less than 2 years
    Last edited by iniltous; 17-09-2017 at 9:05 AM.
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 17th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 555 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    A more involved explanation, considering that you do not appear to have read my post -
    They sent me an offer by letter, with an acknowledgement that my contract ends on 26 October 2017. The letter is dated 13 September 2017 and carries this information:
    Product/saving: TV.
    New saving: £20.90.
    New offer start date: 26 October 2017
    New offer end date: 26 October 2018.
    I state in the original Post that I have written to cancel the contract "from the date of the contract end." They present the offer as a saving of £20.90, but this is the calculation which shows an actual increase of £14.70:

Box Sets increased from £10.00 to £17.90
    Bill for due date 26 September 2017: Total = £49.39.
    If I accept this new offer -
    "Future Bill" proposed for due date 26 October 2017:
    Total = £64.09
    Increase - (£64.09) - (£49.39) = £14.70

They offer me a monthly payment which is presented in writing as a "New Saving". It is actually an increase. What would you call that, providing you have actually read, digested and understood the simple arithematic involved?

Presenting an increase as a saving. Fraud is the word I think.

Where's the fraud then the £17.90 they've offered you for the box set package is still a good one as the standard price is £38.
    Last edited by bigbulldog; 17-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    That's near enough 50% discount on Boxsets (£35.25 full price according to my bill), sounds like a saving to me. Perhaps the OP has a different interpretation of 'saving'.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    You can 'leave' whenever you like, it's not a prison sentence, you just have to pay a penalty charge pro rata of your term remaining.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Okay, to be pedantic, I could have said the OP cannot leave without penalty during the minimum term. I'm fully aware it's not a prison sentence, just a legally binding contract.
    Perhaps the OP has a different interpretation of 'saving'.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Well his definition of "fraud" is interesting...
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 17th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    You might as well have now tv as I think it has a lot of the box sets
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 37 lost 47lbs to go.
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 11 weeks in -29lbs
    3/9 to NYE 3lbs down / 12lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 17th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    If you buy the passes off eBay they are cheap enough. I've yet to pay more than £21 for the Internet and landline too. I'd shop around
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 37 lost 47lbs to go.
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 11 weeks in -29lbs
    3/9 to NYE 3lbs down / 12lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 17th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    Downside of NOW tv is that everything is broadcast in sd quality.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 31,635 Posts
    • 37,326 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Closing as existing sky haggling thread
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,270Posts Today

9,487Users online

Martin's Twitter