Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulandjanine
    • By paulandjanine 16th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 199Thanks
    paulandjanine
    Tax credits - how can I prove I submitted information?
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    Tax credits - how can I prove I submitted information? 16th Sep 17 at 3:42 PM
    I renewed tax credits online, but I've just had an award notice showing our income as estimated, meaning a likely overpayment.

The figures showing are actually an old estimate from December, which we had subsequently increased in March. We have a confirmation letter from March showing the increased estimate, but it has reverted back to Decembers figures on this latest award notice.

When I renew, I tick my worksheet as I go along so I don't miss anything. I am 100% confident I input the actual income on the renewal.

The helpline simply say 'those are the figures submitted'. I have no proof that I did change the figures, and am stumped why the figures have gone backwards.

I have also just made an amendment online to my working hours, and it simply shows a message saying 'you have made a change'. It doesn't show the figures I input, which again leaves me with no proof.

When I submit my tax return online, I have the option to download and see everything I have entered as proof. Can I get anything similar with Tax Credits?

Edit: I have just recalled that I saved the renewal halfway through whilst I clarified something. When I returned a few days later it was showing as 'processed'. I rang the helpline as I was concerned I hadn't actually pressed 'submit', but was told everything was fine and the changes had gone through. Again, I have no proof of what was submitted.
    Last edited by paulandjanine; 16-09-2017 at 3:48 PM.
Page 1
    • paulandjanine
    • By paulandjanine 16th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    paulandjanine
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    Just to add, I am not trying to challenge an overpayment as I have now re-submitted the correct figures over the phone. I am just concerned that should I use the online system, which is my preference, I can't seem to get proof either way of any information submitted, until an a revised award notice arrives weeks later.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 16th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 4,517 Posts
    • 2,837 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    I'd imagine you'd need to make a subject access request the same way you would if you wanted a copy of forms posted or records of telephone calls
    • decbel
    • By decbel 16th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    decbel
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    Very difficult to prove what you have sent.

OK- recorded delivery yes but that doesn't record what the contents are.

I've had bank statements lost in the dole. They denied any knowledge of them.
    • paulandjanine
    • By paulandjanine 18th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    paulandjanine
    • 18th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    I'd imagine you'd need to make a subject access request the same way you would if you wanted a copy of forms posted or records of telephone calls
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Thank you, it looks like the only way, however that will only show the figures that came through from my submission, which I have already been quoted.

I would really like an instant receipt as I hit the submit button, showing me the information that has been transmitted - the same way as I have an instant confirmation when I submit my tax return. That way I could instantly see if anything has gone through incorrectly.

It appears not to be available for tax credits. I have discovered I can submit via webchat, from which I can print out the transcription of everything that has been said.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,538Posts Today

7,648Users online

Martin's Twitter