Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moremore
    • By moremore 16th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 427Posts
    • 102Thanks
    moremore
    Acer Laptop
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    Acer Laptop 16th Sep 17 at 1:52 PM
    Got Acer Laptop 7 yrs ago, but got a virus on it and was unable to clean it. Got new laptop and would like to see if I can retrieve some of my old file from acer laptop but it will not let me get in. I set up a password but will not me type it in. Is there way to get into laptop to retrieve my file from it or a way to bypass the password into acer laptop. Try to contact them by phone but no one answer maybe closed for weekend. Thanks
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    Yes there are ways to bypass the windows password. If its a BIOS password than maybe.

But if your files are infected are you sure you want to put them onto your new computer?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 16th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    You likely could have simply swapped the HDD in the ACER for another. Preferably SSD. From there, popped the old HDD in a £4 external caddy and attempted to move your files from the old drive to the new. No need for a new laptop.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    As per last reply, you can usually take the hard disk out without much difficulty by removing a cover underneath the laptop. An adapter lead, or cadi, to USB should enable you to copy files... assuming the drive isn't encrypted.

You need to run a virus and malware check of the drive in the cadi before copying anything. Windows Defender (part of Windows), with an extra scan using Malwarebytes should show the problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,034Posts Today

8,285Users online

Martin's Twitter