Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SparkyMark123
    • By SparkyMark123 16th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 42Thanks
    SparkyMark123
    Been tennant Bill Query
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    Been tennant Bill Query 16th Sep 17 at 1:46 PM
    Afternoon

Bit of a strange query here. Moved into property middle of May. Upon moving I switched energy providers. 3 Months on landlord who owns property got a debt recovery letter from previous energy supplier stating that there was a outstanding bill from mid may to mid June and as previous bills had been ignored this was now a debt recovery letter.

I am Certain no letters arrives for landlord at my property ( landlord) states he put the electric back into his name between previous tenants moving out and me moving in ( around 15 days)

My question is who should be liable for this as yes I was living there for half the period of charge but surely final bill ( from the 25th to when the supplier changed should have come to me and he should have had one from 10th to 25th?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 16,992 Posts
    • 11,177 Thanks
    molerat
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    Did you contact the old supplier when you moved in ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • fishpond
    • By fishpond 16th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    fishpond
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    Afternoon

Bit of a strange query here. Moved into property middle of May. Upon moving I switched energy providers. 3 Months on landlord who owns property got a debt recovery letter from previous energy supplier stating that there was a outstanding bill from mid may to mid June and as previous bills had been ignored this was now a debt recovery letter.

I am Certain no letters arrives for landlord at my property ( landlord) states he put the electric back into his name between previous tenants moving out and me moving in ( around 15 days)

My question is who should be liable for this as yes I was living there for half the period of charge but surely final bill ( from the 25th to when the supplier changed should have come to me and he should have had one from 10th to 25th?
    Originally posted by SparkyMark123
    Reading your post, it suggests you are responsible for all of it.
    I am a LandLord, so there!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 41,061 Posts
    • 47,175 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    Dates needed.
    .Moved into property middle of May. Upon moving I switched energy providers. 3 Months on landlord who owns property got a debt recovery letter from previous energy supplier stating that there was a outstanding bill from mid may to mid June and as previous bills had been ignored this was now a debt recovery letter.

* date moved in?
    * date meter readings submitted to old supplier and account taken on by you?
    * date switch applied for?
    * date switch completed?
    * exact dates relating to the outstanding bill?
    * address used on outstanding bill - the property or direct to LL's address?
    • SparkyMark123
    • By SparkyMark123 16th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SparkyMark123
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    Dates needed.
    * date moved in?
    * date switch applied for?
    * date switch completed?
    * exact dates relating to the outstanding bill?
    * address used on outstanding bill - the property or direct to LL's address?
    Originally posted by G_M
    Appologies original quote not clear enough

Date Moved in. 25th May 2017
    Date Switch applied for 25th May by U Switch and meter readings given
    Date Switch Completed = Around two weeks later
    Dates related to outstanding bill 10th May to 10th April
    Address used - Landlords name my new address though this was never received the landlord only found this out when they rang Scottish power after receiving debt letter and Scottish power told them the dates on the phone

Hope this makes things a little clearer,
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 16th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    Well you need to speak to the energy provider, or if it's too late the debt collector.

I suggest you also speak to your landlord, because by far the simplest way is for one of you to pay the whole outstanding bill and for the other to then give his portion to whichever one paid the full bill.

It takes a few weeks to change energy supplier and you remain liable to the old energy supplier until the transfer has actually taken place.

Don;t just ignore it, the debt collectors bill will just rack up.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 16th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 6,080 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

as long as you have meter reading from the day you took over the property, then anything before that is not your problem.
    Y'all take care now.
    • SparkyMark123
    • By SparkyMark123 16th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SparkyMark123
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    Well you need to speak to the energy provider, or if it's too late the debt collector.

I suggest you also speak to your landlord, because by far the simplest way is for one of you to pay the whole outstanding bill and for the other to then give his portion to whichever one paid the full bill.

It takes a few weeks to change energy supplier and you remain liable to the old energy supplier until the transfer has actually taken place.

Don;t just ignore it, the debt collectors bill will just rack up.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    Hi

Both energy supplier and Debt Collector refused to talk to me as bill was in the landlord's name.

In terms of easines I have paid the bill in full to the landlord who has subsequently paid the debt collectors and supplied me with a copy of this.

However was just after opinions on whether i should have been liable for full amount as likely the debt collectors letter would have included admin charges etc.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 41,061 Posts
    • 47,175 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    Errrrrrr.....this may be the problem......
    Appologies original quote not clear enough

Date Moved in. 25th May 2017
    Date Switch applied for 25th May by U Switch and meter readings given
    Date Switch Completed = Around two weeks later Date please
    Dates related to outstanding bill 10th May to 10th April makes no sense
    Address used - Landlords name my new address though this was never received the landlord only found this out when they rang Scottish power after receiving debt letter and Scottish power told them the dates on the phone

Hope this makes things a little clearer,
    No. Please answer the questions.

So the debt letter was sent to the landlord, at your address, not his? And you gave it to him and he rang Scot Power?

My guess is that the unanswered question abobe is the problm - you never took on the account with Scottish Power when you moved in did you? So it remained n his name. Naughty!
    • SparkyMark123
    • By SparkyMark123 16th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SparkyMark123
    Errrrrrr.....this may be the problem......
    No. Please answer the questions.

So the debt letter was sent to the landlord, at your address, not his? And you gave it to him and he rang Scot Power?

My guess is that the unanswered question abobe is the problm - you never took on the account with Scottish Power when you moved in did you? So it remained n his name. Naughty!
    Originally posted by G_M
    Date meter readings given- 25th May = I used u Switch online gave the meter readings taken the day I moved in and assumed they would send me the bill for the switch over period

Exact date Switch over complete was the 10th June

Bill date is from the 10th May to 10th June

Previous tenants moved out on the 10th May. Landlord put energy back into his name from this date. I moved in on the 25th and switched from previous energy supplier to new.

Unsure how I could take on a account when the first thing I did was move to Scottish power to my new supplier- Surely they should have sent two bills out - One in the landlords name covering 10th May until the 25th May for his useage during redecoration etc and one to me to cover the Switch over period-

After all they had all my details from the Switch over.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 16,992 Posts
    • 11,177 Thanks
    molerat
    The whole problem is due to your failure to contact the standing supplier of the property. As soon as you were liable for the property you were on a deemed contract with the existing supplier. It was your duty to contact them, give them your details and set up an account. You were then free to commence a switch.
    Last edited by molerat; 16-09-2017 at 6:49 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • SparkyMark123
    • By SparkyMark123 16th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SparkyMark123
    The whole problem is due to your failure to contact the standing supplier of the property. As soon as you were liable for the property you were on a deemed contract with the existing supplier. It was your duty to contact them, give them your details and set up an account with them. You were then free to commence a switch.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Thank you for this. I assumed by automatically switching this would automatically take care of everything and all bills would be settled etc.

I can now see this is not the case. As stated above I have paid the debt colllection letter in full.

I think the situation was slightly complicated by the fact that in my previous property I was with Scottish power and when I moved I received a bill which I thought was relevant for the time I was in my new property.

I can now see this must have just covered the time at my previous property
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 41,061 Posts
    • 47,175 Thanks
    G_M
    Yes.
    You failed to 'take on' the supply when you moved in, so it remained in your landlord's name.

Using uswitch was jumping the gun! Frankly I'm surprisd the switch went ahead at all, since you applied in your name, to switch an account in the landlord's name, from the original supplier to a new supplier.

You should have submitted the meter readings to the existing supplier the day you moved in, to take over the account. Then you could switch.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 16th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    ProDave
    As above, sadly it was your failing.

I suspect MOST of the bill will be down to your usage, as with the flat empty before you moved in, very little if any power will have been used. You could argue the landlord was responsible for the daily standing charge before you moved it, but that will only be a few £ so hardly worth bothering about.

Pay the bill and put it down to experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,877Posts Today

8,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin