Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Julieo
    • By Julieo 16th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Julieo
    Parking fine query
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    Parking fine query 16th Sep 17 at 1:36 PM
    I received an ANPR generated parking charge notice from G24, for overstaying by 16 minutes, in a free multi-outlet shoppers car park with a 4 hour limit. The charge was £70, or £42 if paid within 14 days. I was using a courtesy car from the dealer who was carrying out a service and MOT on my own car. The letters, which I have ignored, were addressed to my surname only at my address, which I assume was the most they got from the dealer. It has now been passed to a debt recovery agency. What more can they do given they don't have my full name, so can't prove I was driving (my husband also resides at the address)? Also, as the car park is free, does this negate any 'contract'?
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 49,972 Posts
    • 63,365 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    You will know from reading 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' at the top, that debt collector letter chains are there to be cheerfully ignored (post #4 of the sticky).

What more can they do given they don't have my full name, so can't prove I was driving (my husband also resides at the address)?
    They can still hold the keeper liable, but they won't be able to because they should have sent you a compliant 'Notice to Hirer/lessee' as it was a courtesy car. No PPC gets this process right, not a single one. None can hold a hirer/lessee (courtesy car is as such) liable.

Also, as the car park is free, does this negate any 'contract'?
    No, look at what happened to Barry Beavis v ParkingEye at the Supreme Court in 2015 about a free car park!

There is, potentially, a contract on the signs, accepted by the driver by performance.

What happened when you complained to the retailer? That's how most G24 ones are easily cancelled. Don't ask 'isn't it too late?' No.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Julieo
    • By Julieo 16th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Julieo
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    Thanks for a very quick reply!. So, should I continue to ignore the letters then safe in the knowledge that they can't pursue it any further? I did not want to contact them, or the retailers I used, as that might have acknowledged acceptance and my husband said not to reply.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 32,742 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    Yes and no.

The newbies faq thread does take you through all the stages these things go through

You are in the debt collectors stage which you can ignore everything

The final stage that may come is court action.

Don't ignore any court correspondence or lbcca.

They have 6 years to try legal action

Come back for advice on how to deal with it if they do
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 49,972 Posts
    • 63,365 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    I did not want to contact them, or the retailers I used, as that might have acknowledged acceptance and my husband said not to reply.
    Obviously you complain. That's how most G24 ones are cancelled. Complaining to a retail Store Manager, works.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Julieo
    • By Julieo 16th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Julieo
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    Does it though? I've read some comments on other sites where people have complained to the retailers or landlord and got nowhere, as they just refer it back to the PPC. I may wait for the next action and try then.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 32,742 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    Follow the advice given.

By far the easiest way to get this cancelled is to complain to the retailers involved. Escalate this if you get the brush off

Don't contact the PPC though!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 49,972 Posts
    • 63,365 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    Does it though? I've read some comments on other sites where people have complained to the retailers or landlord and got nowhere, as they just refer it back to the PPC. I may wait for the next action and try then.
    Originally posted by Julieo
    What did you learn from the first link in the NEWBIES thread? The one about 'Successful Complaints' a thread that has been running here for years. Landlords are difficult to convince with a complaint, but retail Store Managers - easy.

• Julieo
    • By Julieo 17th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Julieo
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    I will give that a try, I have kept the receipt for the goods I bought in TK Maxx, are they receptive does anyone know? There are details online for the retail park as well, so I'll tackle both. I have read the relevant pages, but there aren't any in my area, so it would be useful to have a list of good and bad retailers.

I did wonder though who they would serve court papers to without knowing who was driving and it not being our car. Are they just bluffing, or would they serve on the dealer first who could then sue us in turn?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 17th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 14,523 Posts
    • 22,847 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    TK Maxx, are they receptive does anyone know?
    For any retailer, it often depends on individual managers. The advice is if you can't get satisfaction locally, you go for the CEO.

I have read the relevant pages, but there aren't any in my area,
    The sticky is not designed to break this down on a geographical basis. If you were searching for a geographical location, you've been looking down the wrong end of the microscope. You read the sticky to learn from how others have managed to get their charge cancelled via a complaint.

so it would be useful to have a list of good and bad retailers.
    We don't have one, however, if you think it would be very useful, why don't you develop a new thread to start the list of 'the good' and 'the bad' - you're very welcome to do so.

I did wonder though who they would serve court papers to without knowing who was driving and it not being our car. Are they just bluffing, or would they serve on the dealer first who could then sue us in turn?
    You're nowhere near having any court papers served on anyone. This is G24 for goodness sake!

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/G24.html
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 17th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 10,183 Posts
    • 9,315 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Please try reading the section in POFA 2012 re HIRERS. see para 13 here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/schedule/4/enacted

They can come after the person who hired the car as they are the keeper on the day, regardless of who was driving. They still have hoops to go through, though, but don't think for one minute that you are 100% safe and untouchable if they try court. It would then be up to the hirer to show how they failed in some way to follow the provisions of the act.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin