Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John2005
    • By John2005 16th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    John2005
    Ideal 35n Boiler
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    Ideal 35n Boiler 16th Sep 17 at 1:26 PM
    Hello all, so I've just completed sale on a little flat (first time buyer) and I've never had to experience anything in the ways of getting utlities turned on an so fourth. What I can tell is that everything APPEARS to be working with regards to water, electric e.t.c I cannot 100% tell if gas is working as the hob is electric and the only gas applicance is the boiler itself from what I can see. I DO have hot water however, there's a switch at the other side of the kitchen for hot water so I don't know how the hot water is being provided, but it doesn't appear to be from the boiler itself simply because the boiler itself doesn't appear to have any life. I'm really clueless when it comes to this but I vaguely remember my dad having to get down on his knee's with a long match and put into the fireplace to turn the central heating back on whenever the gas stopped completely. From my research I believe this is called the "pilot" and my boiler's pilot is not a light. so I guess this si why i have no central heating but i can't figure out how the hot water is working (problem for another day I guess...?) main concern here is the boiler, does anyone know how to correctly light the pilot on this boiler? It's been turned off for around a month from what i've been told if that means anything. Greatly appreciate any advise here, thanks

[UPDATE]
    Just wanted to explain some of the things I have tried, I turned the thermostate to max, and I can hear a little click at the thermostate itself aswell as some kind of "humming noise" from where the boiler is but just above it (almost like its in the ceiling? could be just vibrations from the boiler itself though I guess as the pipe is vibrating on the touch). the boiler does not show any flames itself though. I also found this little grey turning knob thing which shows an arrow on the edge in a clockwise rotation, this apparently is the "Gas Control" but again nothing happens nor do I hear anything either when i turn this. No attempt to ignite or anything like that (perhaps I must ignite it manually like with a match?).

I can't unforutnately show you a picture of the boiler as I'm a new user apparently, but if you google the boiler name: Ideal 35n Boiler, you'll find just 1 image of it, which is sideways. Yes, it looks prehistoric but if it works, i will not complain! thanks again guys
    Last edited by John2005; 16-09-2017 at 1:36 PM. Reason: ADDED PICTURE
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 16th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    The grey button is to allow the gas though to light the pilot. Is there a piezo igniter, look for a very thin see through cable coming out by the sight glass. You push the grey tap in and hold it in, then click the piezo ignition to light the pilot. Once you've lit the pilot keep the grey button held in for 10-15 seconds and then let go and the pilot will be lit. It will be worth getting it serviced.
    • John2005
    • By John2005 16th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John2005
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    Thank you for the tip, I will check this out. I googled very quickly for what you described and it would appear there IS some kind of a button somewhere... to ignite the burner judging by this diagram i found on google, with a very thin pipe/cable coming off it is which is exactly what you describe so this must be there somewhere, I will look for it, thank you again!

I was wondering about the service too... I see some files in the flat left from seller whereby it indicates it were last serviced in 2016 aug, so its been about a year and I hear that you should service them annually so its about the right time too. It all passed from what i can see in this certificate so I assume if there's anything "wrong" it would of been picked up back then, but I guess things can look perfectly fine and suddenly go with a boiler? The good news is, there's apparently a spare new boiler pump left in the cupboard so that's always handy i guess.
    Last edited by John2005; 16-09-2017 at 2:34 PM.
    • John2005
    • By John2005 18th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John2005
    • 18th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    hello there, so I have been and looked but I'm completely confused here. I've looked and studied the boiler from all angles and I 've located a very thing (and curling) little pipe, it's bronze in colour and leads directly from the pilot window into the box attached to the gas control button. However, I cannot for the life of me find any form of button here besides the actual gas control button.

Just to add to the confusion here, I have read through the manual for the Ideal E-Type 35N boiler found on the internet which describes the process of getting it going to do the following:

1) Remove the screw from gas outlet pressure test nipple and securely connect a suitable pressure gauge with flexible tubing.
    2) Check that the main gas !!!! is open.
    3) Ensure that the boiler thermostat knob is set to "OFF".
    4) Turnt he gas control knob clockwise until resistent is felt and release it. Wait for three minutes.
    5) Check electricity and gas supplies to the appliance are turned on and all external controls fitted to the system are "on".
    6) Loosen the wing nuts and slide up the sight-glass. Insert a lighted spill through the sight-glass opening and positiont eh flame near the pilot burner.
    7) Push the Gas Control knocb and hold it depressed whilst keeping the lighted spill in position until the pilot burner lights.
    8) Whent he pilot burner has lit, continue to hold down the gas control knob for a further 20 seconds.

Should the pilot burner go out at this or any other stage, turn the gas control knob clockwise and release it, wait for three minutes and repeat the instructions.
    You can see my confusion here, the instructions never mention anything about pressing the igniter button BUT the same document clearly shows and labels an igniter button attached tot he same box that the Gas Control Button is mounted to, but I cannot find this button ANYWHERE and the instructions don't mention ever to use it. I know this document was written in 1973 but I'm really confused. Why would we need to manually light the pilot/burner if there's a igniter button?
    • bris
    • By bris 18th Sep 17, 11:34 PM
    • 6,828 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    bris
    • 18th Sep 17, 11:34 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 11:34 PM
    Get a gas safe registered engineer out to service and instruct you on how to light the boiler. For gods sake do not even try and follow those instructions, you will find that is the installation and servicing instructions and is for an engineer to commission the boiler for a one time set up and possibly for fault finding at a later date. You need a user manual not an installation one.

The lighting procedure is relatively easy, turn it on at the mains, push in and turn the grey knob holding it in and push the ignighter button a few times until it lights. When it lights hold it for 20 seconds to heat up the thermo coupler then let it go and set the grey knob to the desired setting.

P.S you have hot water because you will be using heating element in the tank (think of it as a huge kettle) this is electric. When you get the boiler lit turn this off at the switch as it will be costing you a fortune.
    Last edited by bris; 18-09-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 19th Sep 17, 3:28 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 19th Sep 17, 3:28 AM
    • 19th Sep 17, 3:28 AM
    As above, do not follow those instructions, the copper coloured tube is the thermo couple. You need the piezo igniter, there should be a thin see through cable by the thermostat couple, if it's not there it may of broke over time and been removed, I think as said it's worth getting serviced and then they can show you how to ignite etc.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 19th Sep 17, 3:29 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 19th Sep 17, 3:29 AM
    • 19th Sep 17, 3:29 AM
    *thermo couple not thermostat couple
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin