Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emptyhead
    • By emptyhead 16th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    emptyhead
    Small company.
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    Small company. 16th Sep 17 at 1:16 PM
    Hi, the company I work for only employs 7 people, a friend of mine told me the company does not have to offer me a pension because its to small. Is this the case? I need to know before I confront the MD and ask why we have no pension yet.
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 16th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 6,154 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    Hi, the company I work for only employs 7 people, a friend of mine told me the company does not have to offer me a pension because its to small. Is this the case? I need to know before I confront the MD and ask why we have no pension yet.
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by emptyhead
    Your friend is wrong. Every company with more than zero employees (unless it's a sole director) should be offering auto-enrolment:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-timetable-clarifies-automatic-enrolment-starting-dates

Automatic enrolment will begin in October 2012. All existing firms will have enrolled their staff by April 2017, followed by all new employers by February 2018.

The level of pension contributions will be phased in over time to help employers and individuals adjust. Full contributions will have to be paid from 1 October 2018.
    You can find out when you should have started auto enrolment here: http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/employers/staging-date.aspx
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 19th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    • 19th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    My company has 27 employees. I started with them on April 24th this year.
    I have had a hard time getting a satisfactory answer off my employer as to why I have not been enrolled. Others have told me that there was a bit of 'disincentive' to joining, mainly along the lines of how hard it would be to give a pay rise.
    I have also been told that I should have 'opted in'. I understand I can opt out, but that I am under no obligation to opt in; am I right? I thought auto enrolment does what it says on the tin.

Something that puzzles me is the April 2nd 2017 start date, and January 2018 date. It isn't clear if they are obliged to enrol me, or if I need to wait.

emptyhead, you may have crossed that hurdle, but I can't translate it into english!
    Live life .... juss like that
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 19th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 35,522 Posts
    • 45,717 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 19th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    I wouldnt be trouncing in and be confronting any one, specially the boss or he might be paying into only 6 employees pension.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin