Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shar0n
    • By shar0n 16th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shar0n
    RBS took deliberate action to delay and confuse
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    RBS took deliberate action to delay and confuse 16th Sep 17 at 11:03 AM
    I had a credit card debit with RBS, and was paying it off via their nominated credit agency at £30 per month and this arrangement had been in-place for several years.

I got a letter from RBS Credit card one day saying that I had not paid the Direct Debit for 9 months. I checked and the credit agency had simply stopped taking the payments. I rang them and they said that RBS had changed the service to another company.

I rand RBS credit Card and they said I couldnt speak to them and had to call the new credit agency. I rang them and asked them to send a statement so that I could check the cut-off balance.

I then got a letter from another agency about the same debt, and was confused about who I should be paying. This went on with several debt agencies. I was trying to setup a payment but they kept changing companies. I then got a phone call saying that someone was coming to collect a payment. I said good becuase I wanted it sorted.

A guy came and showed his authorisationy. He asked for a nominal payment and i signed a direct debit form.

A few days later RBS took around £3k out of my savings bank, saying that the credit agency hadn't passed them any information about the new agreement.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 11,881 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    Hi,

I have moved your post to a new thread, as in tagging onto someones old thread, yours could be missed.

How long ago did this happen ?

Passing debts around various debt collectors at the same time is a practice frowned upon by the FCA, making payment arrangements with strangers on the doorstep is also a big no no.

You need to follow the correct complaints procedure, you should write a formal complaint to RBS, tell them whats happened, that they broke fair debt collection practice guidelines, by using more than one debt collector at the same time, then they sent someone to your door which resulted in the loss of funds you could not afford to pay.

Tell them how they should resolve this for you.

They have 8 weeks to issue a final response, if your still not happy, you can take them to the FOS (Financial ombudsman service) who will decide your case on balance of fairness to both sides.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 16-09-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 16th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    You didn't pay for 9 months and didn't notice?

Do you also bank with RBS? I assume so if they've taken money from your savings?

Never bank with the same institution you have defaulted debts with. They can (and will) take your money from you to cover the amount.

If the money was in a current account, you could claim it was money for living and that taken it puts you into hardship - they have to treat you fairly. That would be hard to claim on a savings account - it's clearly excess money unless you have an outrageous car insurance cost that you require for work etc. that this money was for.

While RBS were wrong to pass the account around like a merry-go-round, you shouldn't have continued to bank with them and I'm surprised they've not taken your savings in the years prior...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,341Posts Today

8,249Users online

Martin's Twitter