Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EKEA
    • By EKEA 16th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 6Thanks
    EKEA
    Driving Without Insurance Fine
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    Driving Without Insurance Fine 16th Sep 17 at 10:49 AM
    I was borrowing my husbands car to go to work as mine was in the garage that day.

I had an accident but it wasn't serious. So much so, the driver of the other car drove off without giving any details.

I reported it to the police and gave them details. They said they'd look into it but I'd need to provide insurance details.

It was only until then that I thought you could drive someone elses car without being named on the insurance (I have fully comp, so does my husband) as you're both fully comp and have permission.

So we closed the investigation as I was driving illegally (no insurance) and it looked like we wern't going to get anywhere with the other driver anyway.

However now, about 5 months later, I have a fixed penalty notice through the door (£300 + 6 points) or court.

If we closed the investigation only a few days after they opened it, how have the police then carried on and decided there was no insurance? Why has it taken them so long?

Is there anything I can do or should I just pay?
    How long will the points be on the licence? Will this have any longer term problems with insurance when I come to renew, or do I have to inform them?
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 14,566 Posts
    • 22,913 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    Sorry, but this is the wrong forum for your question. We deal with private parking charges. For Police and other criminal charges, PePiPoo will be your best bet.

Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 7,682 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    Does your insurance allow you to drive another vehicle
    albiet as third party ?
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • EKEA
    • By EKEA 16th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    EKEA
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    Not sure what the insurance covered.
    I have a feeling we bought it online but there was no choice to be able to drive 3rd party cars.

I have sorted it now and I'm a named driver on my husbands car, he's named on mine.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 7,682 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    Not sure what the insurance covered.
    I have a feeling we bought it online but there was no choice to be able to drive 3rd party cars.

I have sorted it now and I'm a named driver on my husbands car, he's named on mine.
    Originally posted by EKEA
    That does not help with your other problem.

As said, go here, someone might help
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,416Posts Today

6,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin