Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 16th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 116Posts
    • 12Thanks
    dhokes
    Wooden flooring and stairs
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    Wooden flooring and stairs 16th Sep 17 at 10:32 AM
    I'm planning to buy a new build home and I'm thinking about getting wooden flooring throughout the house because I prefer the look and feel of it over carpet.

However, I'm not sure whether the stairs should have wooden floors or be carpeted or both like this. The stairs will look like this, so they're pretty basic L shaped. What are people's thoughts on this?

The landing at the top of the stairs leads off to two bedrooms and a bathroom. If the stairs are carpeted, should the landing also be carpeted or where should the carpet stop? I'm just wondering how this would look and whether it would look odd...

I'm wondering what other houses with wooded flooring throughout except the stairs look like.
    Last edited by dhokes; 16-09-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 36,047 Posts
    • 152,260 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    We have wooden floor downstairs and carpeted stairs. The carpet reaches to the edges of the stairs, rather than being a runner. The landing and bedrooms are carpeted.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 16th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    boliston
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    definitely wood for stairs - looks far better than carpet
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    We have wooden flooring in the hallway but carpet on the stairs and landing, and in the bedrooms. It looks fine, but I can see OP's point if they have wood in the bedrooms as well.

Wouldn't wooden stairs be dangerous? A few drips of water and down you go. Perhaps a compromise would be wooden stairs fitted with a runner? That way you would have the continuity of the wood running up both sides of the stairs but with the safety of a carpet to walk on.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 16th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    z1a
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    You can buy individual carpet mats for the treads, they look OK IMO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,109Posts Today

9,024Users online

Martin's Twitter