Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • straggler
    • By straggler 16th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 113Posts
    • 10Thanks
    straggler
    laptop issue
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    laptop issue 16th Sep 17 at 9:57 AM
    Hi,

I have an Asus netbook. When I switch it on I either get a grey screen or a sort of blurry coloured screen with different coloured lines running horizontally. Occassionally, it'll fire up as normal and is fine as long as I don't switch it off.

The computer bit appears to be fine as when I plug it into an external screen it all works as normal.

Any idea what the problem could be? And is it worth getting it fixed?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 16th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 5,063 Posts
    • 2,699 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    This sort of problem can be due to the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the main part of the laptop (becoming cracked or not correctly contacting the 'sockets' at either end). Try tilting the screen backwards and forwards to see if it makes any difference.

A repair shop would probably charge around £50 just to open it up, so you would have to decide whether it's worth it.
    • beddo
    • By beddo 17th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    beddo
    • 17th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    As John said, there's likely a connectivity fault. You can search youtube for a video on how to take your model apart, check the connectors and put it back together to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes you can pick up the connecting cables pretty cheap too, I think I got one for less than a tenner on the last laptop that had a problem.

Unfortunately that one turned out to be motherboard related but it was worth the risk on the tenner to see if it could be saved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,717Users online

Martin's Twitter