Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Goldwing1
    • By Goldwing1 16th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 96Posts
    • 74Thanks
    Goldwing1
    Solar Plants (Reposted from Energy)
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    Solar Plants (Reposted from Energy) 16th Sep 17 at 9:57 AM
    Back in 2010 I had solar panels installed and, until last year, they were brilliant. Investment cost recovered by year five so everything from there on was money in the bank - or so I thought.

Last August the inverter failed. Repairing it was more expensive than replacing it so I got a new one with a five year guarantee.

At a show recently we saw a stand for Solar Plants, nothing to do with plants but with a different type of inverter which takes each panel in parallel rather than in series. That claims to improve output by 15 - 17% and means that if one panel goes faulty, the others keep working, plus it has a 20 year guarantee. It all sounds good except it would take another five years to recover the outlay.

My gut feeling is that I'm better off staying as I am - especially as I only renewed the inverter last year (5 year guarantee but they have offered a "buy back" discount on it).

Thoughts?
Page 1
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 16th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 10,140 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    I've recently upgraded mine, but it didn't cost 'too' much, and my inverters (now sold) were out of warranty. But crucially my system had a fair amount of shading.

Do you suffer from a lot of shading, what size system and specs, how much do you generate, how does it compare to PVGIS (see section 5 of FAQ's link in my autosig).

TBF you need decent improvement, perhaps 10%+, and a decent price.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 16th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    What make is the alternative inverter and how many panels do you have?

Sounds like what they are proposing is a Solaredge Inverter with optimisers on each panel.

We have that, and it works very well; especially good if you have any shading problems.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • Goldwing1
    • By Goldwing1 16th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Goldwing1
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    Hopefully the following answers the questions.

I have seven panels rated at 1.29KWp producing around 1200 units (HWh?) per annum which currently works out at around £620 per annum.

Yes, the proposed inverter with optimisers. No problem with shading.

I could just sit on my hands until the guarantee runs out (4 years time) and then make a decision assuming I don't move (No plans to).
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 16th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    pinnks
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    If you have no shading then it is difficult to see what a Solar Edge or similar approach would add (SMA and others now have similar offerings), other than allowing production to continue if and when a panel fails.

There is of course an increased risk with SE-type installations that the additional kit on the roof could fail before panels start failing. To be honest though, both are probably reasonably low risk.

So, I would probably stay with what you have.

Indeed, I have shading issues and have considered upgrading but the additional production of perhaps 500 units per year or, for me, about £100 would just not warrant the cost.

Annoying/frustrating? Sure, but sometimes it is simply better to suck up ones less than optimal decision and move on...
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,086Posts Today

8,379Users online

Martin's Twitter