Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 16th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 785Posts
    • 387Thanks
    docmatt
    SORN and UN-Sorn
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    SORN and UN-Sorn 16th Sep 17 at 9:48 AM
    I have an insured car in my garage that I just use in the summer (or on sunny winter weekends if I'm not working)

Up until now I've kept it taxed all the time.

The thing is, I know i'm going to be busy now till at least Feb/March so I'm thinking I may as well SORN it.

My question is (and I did have a look at the .gov website but it was'nt overly clear on the Sorn page), Lets say I sorn it today and in January I discover I can take a weekend off work and that weekend is forcast nice. Can I just Sorn it for that month and then Un-Sorn it straight after?

Cheers
    Last edited by docmatt; 16-09-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 33,303 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    ......Lets say I sorn it today and in January I discover I can take a weekend off work and that weekend is forcast nice. Can I just insure it for that month and then Sorn it straight after?

Cheers
    Originally posted by docmatt

You need to be insured at all times unless you sorn.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 16th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    You need to be insured at all times unless you sorn.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Sorry, I completely messed up with my question. I had insurance on the brain and typed the word insurance instead of Sorn.

I've since edited my question to say Can I just Sorn it and then un sorn it, not insure it!

(It's insured all the time)
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 33,303 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    Yes you can unsorn at any time.

You will need to tax it each time you unsorn
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 26,050 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    You just need to tax and insure it, but if your only using it for a few days or a weekend then your going to pay the full months tax.

So you tax/insure and use it this weekend. Then Monday you SORN it. You will have paid this months tax in full. Then next week or 2 weeks time you want to use it again. You will be paying the same tax.

Also regarding the insurance short term cover is fairly costly. You can sometimes insure a car for months for the same cost as a couple of days cover.

Ive had classic car cover for around £100 a year, no no claims needed but you do need a main car with no claims to get accepted for this particular policy.
    Classic Mini under £90, MGB GT £90, V8 Classic Range Rover £100 a year.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,018Posts Today

7,369Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin