Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dalglish
    • By Dalglish 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 153Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Dalglish
    Holiday visa charges - shocked
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    Holiday visa charges - shocked 16th Sep 17 at 9:42 AM
    I've returned from a family holiday to Singapore to an mbna credit card bill that includes nearly £100 in non-sterling transaction fees.
    I've had this card for close to ten years, pay off in full each month and would describe myself as a heavy user of this card, buying goods over £100 on it for section 75 cover.
    I'm going to speak to mbna as this is the first occasion I've been charged these fees. European holidays have not triggered these fees last year.
    I'm considering changing to the Halifax Clarity's card expecting mbna to not waive my fees.
    I do not recall being informed of these fees but did receive a message informing that it wasn't necessary to advise of any upcoming overseas trips. Consequently I did not speak to MBNA
    Any thoughts welcomed.
    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 16th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    Standard practise. You won't get any refund from MBNA - it's in the terms and conditions.
    Change to the clarity card which is fantastic.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 16th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    Sorry, that's normal with most credit cards in the UK. MSE has a useful guide on which credit cards to use abroad. Worth a look.

Have you checked the terms and conditions of your card?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 16th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    BoGoF
    You should have done your research before going. A quick google of 'mbna non sterling transactions' give this www.mbna.co.uk/managing-your-account/when-travelling-abroad

There is a libk to the fees there.
    • Dalglish
    • By Dalglish 16th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Dalglish
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    Yep fair cop guilty of not researching so will def be looking to switch cards.
    Thanks for your help all ��
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    In the past credit card companies hid these charges in the exchange rate, so you never saw them. But they've always been there, unless you use one of the few fee-free cards.

It's about time bureaux de change places were forced to do the same, they still hide massive charges in the exchange rate.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 16th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 29,397 Posts
    • 17,173 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    In the past credit card companies hid these charges in the exchange rate
    Originally posted by zagfles
    That was my first thought, but a quick google seems to suggest they've been shown separately on credit card statements for a few years now. OP says they weren't charged (or, more accurately, didn't see them on their statement) last year...unless they're mistaken?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    That was my first thought, but a quick google seems to suggest they've been shown separately on credit card statements for a few years now. OP says they weren't charged (or, more accurately, didn't see them on their statement) last year...unless they're mistaken?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Or they were DCC'ed. Even worse!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    With most cards there's a non-sterling fee, plus a margin added to the MasterCard or Visa exchange rate of up to 3%. ATM use can involve an additional fee.

If you choose to pay in pounds these don't apply of course, but the awful exchange rate imposed by the merchant or ATM will usually cost you more.

It's easy to escape all such costs by using a suitable fee-free card and paying in local currency.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,602Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin