Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Goldwing1
    • By Goldwing1 16th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 96Posts
    • 74Thanks
    Goldwing1
    Solar Plants = any info/experience?
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    Solar Plants = any info/experience? 16th Sep 17 at 9:29 AM
    Back in 2010 I had solar panels installed and, until last year, they were brilliant. Investment cost recovered by year five so everything from there on was money in the bank - or so I thought.

Last August the inverter failed. Repairing it was more expensive than replacing it so I got a new one with a five year guarantee.

At a show recently we saw a stand for Solar Plants, nothing to do with plants but with a different type of inverter which takes each panel in parallel rather than in series. That claims to improve output by 15 - 17% and means that if one panel goes faulty, the others keep working, plus it has a 20 year guarantee. It all sounds good except it would take another five years to recover the outlay.

My gut feeling is that I'm better off staying as I am - especially as I only renewed the inverter last year (5 year guarantee but they have offered a "buy back" discount on it).

Thoughts?
Page 1
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 16th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    Best to post this on the Green & Ethical thread where Solar PV is discussed.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • Goldwing1
    • By Goldwing1 16th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Goldwing1
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    Ah! Is that where it goes. I'll repost.

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin