Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 16th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,887Posts
    • 5,688Thanks
    whitesatin
    suggestions for photo storage/viewing gadget
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    suggestions for photo storage/viewing gadget 16th Sep 17 at 9:07 AM
    If I don't want to use the cloud, is there some kind of gadget wherein I can take/store photos/videos from my iPhone, external drives etc. I've accrued many over the years, and would like to store them and view them. Just a gadget that does that, not a pc or laptop.

I've got photos everywhere, very disorganised, and sometimes I like to just look through the years. My Lenovo Yoga 2, for some unknown reason, is not letting me view videos any more, telling me that the file isn't playable, that it might be unsupported or the extension is incorrect or file corrupt. These are videos I have viewed before using my Lenovo Yoga 2.

It is playing up generally as well so I just want an independent gadget, I suppose a bit like a digital photo frame I used to have, but which can take a USB to build up a library.

I have to admit that I know very little about computers except that I am becoming increasingly frustrated. I have never really come to terms with Windows 10 and long for the days when I used to be in control.
Page 1
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 16th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    first thing i would do is get organised. i have 1 x folder called 'memories' that has 2 x folders inside 'videos' & 'photos' each of those folders is broken down into years. no renames. just kept simply.

why don't you want to use cloud storage? do you have offsite backup somewhere else? i would highly recommend google photos. great for backing up photos/vidoes and also for searching and creating memories.

if you really don't want to use cloud storage then you need something like a NAS drive or exteranal hard drive/usb stick to store your media and then access from all other devices
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 16th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 5,688 Thanks
    whitesatin
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    first thing i would do is get organised. i have 1 x folder called 'memories' that has 2 x folders inside 'videos' & 'photos' each of those folders is broken down into years. no renames. just kept simply.

why don't you want to use cloud storage? do you have offsite backup somewhere else? i would highly recommend google photos. great for backing up photos/vidoes and also for searching and creating memories.

if you really don't want to use cloud storage then you need something like a NAS drive or exteranal hard drive/usb stick to store your media and then access from all other devices
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Thank you for your prompt reply and I will certainly try what you suggest.

Not really sure why I don't want to use cloud storage, possibly I'm a bit of a dinosaur as, despite having Kindles everywhere, I still like holding a book, lol.

I just tried system restore on my Lenovo and it took ages then it said that it did not complete successfully, that the system files and settings were not changed and suggested trying again. I then went on to my photos/videos and, lo and behold, I was able to play them, thankfully. But, even so, I will still investigate what suggest.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 25,710 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    NAS box or home Cloud storage which is basically just a hard drive and a bit of software to make access a little easier than a basic external drive.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,899Posts Today

3,800Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin