Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 2,121Posts
    • 2,013Thanks
    TheGardener
    London Cab fare
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    London Cab fare 16th Sep 17 at 8:34 AM
    I've never used a black cab in London and I'm budgeting for a trip - roughly what fare should I expect for a cab from Euston to Lewisham?
    (I know there are cheaper alternatives but we specifically want a cab on this occasion)
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    I just put your thread title into Google and a whole host of London taxi fare estimators appeared.

To answer your question: £44.55 approx.

Consider a Private Hire Car... Uber will do it for under half of that.
    Last edited by KeithP; 16-09-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    Dohh - sorry, I didn't realise there were the estimators on line - probably hadn't had enough coffee when I posted
    • Gravedigger
    • By Gravedigger 16th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Gravedigger
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    And in a black cab he can add each passenger and each bag or luggage, even shopping bags. As suggested I'd go with Uber, or get a quote before the journey as you may be held up going through Blackwall Tunnel.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 17th Sep 17, 6:45 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:45 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:45 AM
    Uber will do it for under half of that.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Not hard to see why London black cabs are crapping themselves and fighting so hard to get Uber banned.

Personally haven't used a black cab in ages... it's not the money more the feeling your being ripped off.
    • jessmist
    • By jessmist 17th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    jessmist
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    When we were in London at the end of July we always used black cabs with me being disabled. The drivers were always very helpful and nothing was a problem.
    I downloaded (my taxi) app.
    You can book a taxi through it and the driver gave us a code for £10 off the first journey.
    Also they were doing half price fares from 8pm Friday to midnight Sunday.
    I would definitely go with them.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 17th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    When we were in London at the end of July we always used black cabs with me being disabled. The drivers were always very helpful and nothing was a problem.
    I downloaded (my taxi) app.
    You can book a taxi through it and the driver gave us a code for £10 off the first journey.
    Also they were doing half price fares from 8pm Friday to midnight Sunday.
    I would definitely go with them.
    Originally posted by jessmist
    I'm guessing you know somebody in the trade

Last time I looked a London to Heathrow ride was £38 more expensive using a black cab than Uber..... so yes I'd flipping well expect the black cab driver to be polite and helpful.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 17th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    I was quoted £80 from Heathrow to Kingston, a 20 minute journey for a black cab. I got the X26 bus instead.
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 17th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    The £44 quoted is a fair bit lower than I'd expect and would depend massively on the time of day. If you're looking at rush hour I'd suggest that there's little chance of getting it for that fare.

I realise that you specifically want to get a cab but if you can get the tube (Northern Line) south of the river you could get a cab from there and you'd save time and money if your circumstances would allow.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 11,278 Posts
    • 8,492 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I just put your thread title into Google and a whole host of London taxi fare estimators appeared.

To answer your question: £44.55 approx.

Consider a Private Hire Car... Uber will do it for under half of that.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Probably because they're not paying their employees NMW or holiday pay?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 17th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    KeithP
    Probably because they're not paying their employees NMW or holiday pay?
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    For whatever reason.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 17th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 3,822 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I know OP specifically asked about cabs but that journey is actually far more pleasant and quicker by public transport than by road - unless travelling in the middle of the night or just possibly on a quiet Sunday. Simply getting across London to other side of the River is a nightmare that can take an hour or more.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 7,456 Posts
    • 7,838 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    A minicab (private hire) company may be able to give you a cheaper quote than a taxi on the meter, but still provide you with a 'black cab' type vehicle (although most of them are newer types as the traditional black cabs failed emissions tests and had to be retired)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 18,491 Posts
    • 42,400 Thanks
    peachyprice
    You may well struggle to get a black cab to take you to Lewisham from Euston, be prepared to get knocked back a few times. They're not supposed to refuse, but in reality they won't be chuffed spending an hour going south of the river when then can make more money on short hops around central London.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 18th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    jon81uk
    And in a black cab he can add each passenger and each bag or luggage, even shopping bags. As suggested I'd go with Uber, or get a quote before the journey as you may be held up going through Blackwall Tunnel.
    Originally posted by Gravedigger
    Black cabs cannot charge for passengers or luggage. The fares are set by TfL and very regulated https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares#on-this-page-2

But as others have said, metered taxis are much better for short journey's staying within zone 1, the fares increase after they do 6 miles https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares

For this journey much better to do minicab with a pre-agreed fare, Uber (although it depends on your morals around minimum wage), or use the tube/train/dlr and get a taxi from south of the river. Or if access is the issue, get a taxi from Euston to Bank then take the DLR which is fully wheelchair accessible.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 18th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    elverson
    deleted...
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 18th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 3,822 Thanks
    bouicca21
    And worth remembering that there is a taxi rank at lewisham station, so could get there on public transport and then take a taxi to final destination.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

2,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin