Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kw5
    • By kw5 16th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 2Thanks
    kw5
    Buy it now offers
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    Buy it now offers 16th Sep 17 at 8:29 AM
    Hi,
    I have been selling on Ebay for just over a year am getting quite a few Buy it Now offers, which if accepted the buyer then messages and asks for a cancellation, or if I have not yet had time to respond the offer is retracted.
    Any advice would be helpful on how to deal with these issues.

Thanks,

Kirsty
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 59,471 Posts
    • 42,179 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    Hi,
    I have been selling on Ebay for just over a year am getting quite a few Buy it Now offers, which if accepted the buyer then messages and asks for a cancellation, or if I have not yet had time to respond the offer is retracted.

Thanks,

Kirsty
    Originally posted by kw5
    That wasn't the question I was expecting- it's usually the fact that the offers tend to be really low that get mentioned on here. I can't say that I get many issues re cancelling accepted offers , I do get a few (but a small percentage overall) retractions which I just ignore- although I often do look at the feedback buyer has left for others and block some offer retractors if that looks odd.

Re the cancelled offers, I can't see anyway of stopping them, although again I am very quick to block these time wasters especially if they have paid and cost me 20p in paypal fees.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 16th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    I am very quick to block these time wasters especially if they have paid and cost me 20p in paypal fees.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Glad that it's not just me that does this, those 20p's quickly add up
    • kw5
    • By kw5 16th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kw5
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    Thank you for your reply, I do get low offers but just ignore them, it is the time wasters who buy and then change their mind is the annoyance.
    Kirsty
    • kw5
    • By kw5 16th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kw5
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    Glad that it's not just me that does this, those 20p's quickly add up
    Originally posted by olgadapolga
    I did not realise that if paid paypal keep 20p if order cancelled, will look out for that. Thanks Kirsty
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 16th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    I did not realise that if paid paypal keep 20p if order cancelled, will look out for that. Thanks Kirsty
    Originally posted by kw5
    Only if the 'buyer' has actually paid - if they just ask for a cancellation without making payment, there is no Paypal transaction so no fee.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 16th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    Thank you for your reply, I do get low offers but just ignore them, it is the time wasters who buy and then change their mind is the annoyance.
    Kirsty
    Originally posted by kw5
    Instead of ignoring low offers, when you list the item set it to automatically reject offers below a certain amount (i.e. whatever minimum you'd be willing to consider) - that way anyone who might be a serious buyer knows immediately that their first offer was too low and has the chance to offer again if they are genuinely interested.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 16th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 8,478 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    RFW
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    Hi,

Thanks,

Kirsty
    Originally posted by kw5
    A bit of my reply is covered above.
    One thing is that offers can show as timed out when the listing has ended.
    It sounds like you're taking too long in answering the offers, if someone puts an offer in they're most likely to want an answer within an hour or find the product elsewhere. Whilst they can cancel an offer they most likely forget or don't know they can.
    I'd recommend putting in auto reject and auto accept. It's usually worth having a middle ground so you can counter offer. Some buyers will try and pay £15 for something at £50 but are willing to pay £49 and just after a bargain.
    If you haven't already, if you can, put the Ebay app on your phone and then you can see and respond to offers quite quickly.
    • kw5
    • By kw5 16th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kw5
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    Thank you, I do have the app and I usually respond quite quickly, but I will try the suggestions that you have mentioned.

Regards,

Kirsty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter