Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grosy
    • By grosy 16th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    grosy
    charities on bank statement
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    charities on bank statement 16th Sep 17 at 7:10 AM
    hi. just started to go through my fathers bank statements to see what was coming in and going out and found at least 10 charities getting small donations.

Do I have to inform each charity of his death or is the fact that the account is suspended enough.
    thanks
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 17th Sep 17, 12:07 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:07 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:07 AM
    Are these standing orders or direct debits? Notifying the bank of the death will freeze both sorts but it might be courteous to notify them but the is no obligation to do so.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 17th Sep 17, 1:07 AM
    • 938 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:07 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:07 AM
    Just stop the DDs. They should think themselves grateful for what they have already had. When I took over my mother's affairs by POA she had a load of them too. They were mostly from charities that she would have had no interest in whatsoever and were mostly started from around the time we started to be concerned. They use flattery & sob stories to con people into signing up.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Sep 17, 1:14 AM
    • 37,819 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:14 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 1:14 AM
    Personally, I'd notify them, because if you don't you may start getting letters to the deceased trying to find out why their donations have stopped.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • grosy
    • By grosy 17th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grosy
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I will try find phone numbers and give them a call. They were mostly direct debits.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I will try find phone numbers and give them a call. They were mostly direct debits.
    Originally posted by grosy
    A letter may be better - then you will have a record.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 17th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    A letter may be better - then you will have a record.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    No need really. Notifying the bank will stop all DDs and the bank with tell them for you. Simples!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 37,819 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    No need really. Notifying the bank will stop all DDs and the bank with tell them for you. Simples!
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    But will the bank tell them the person has died? Or just that the DD has stopped? And if it was a Standing Order (as it will be for smaller charities, the mechanics of taking DDs being quite complex), will the bank tell them anything?

To the OP, I emailed the charity Mum was supporting: the double benefit of a record, and being able to do it at a time which suited me (often quite late at night ...)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 17th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    I did notify the one charity my mother had been supporting for years, the others which had been added recently I didn't bother & felt they should be grateful for what they got. It seems they had been really nice on the phone & she felt bad not donating. Most people donate to a very limited selection of their favourite charities, not a whole series. Her number had got on a list & I doubt she even knew who she was giving too in the end. They target the vulnerable and the caring. Personally I wouldn't waste the cost of a stamp or phone call on them.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 17th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    chesky
    I wouldn't bother but if you do, make sure you don't give them your contact details, otherwise you yourself will be on their list.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 17th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 3,917 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    I did notify the one charity my mother had been supporting for years, the others which had been added recently I didn't bother & felt they should be grateful for what they got. It seems they had been really nice on the phone & she felt bad not donating. Most people donate to a very limited selection of their favourite charities, not a whole series. Her number had got on a list & I doubt she even knew who she was giving too in the end. They target the vulnerable and the caring. Personally I wouldn't waste the cost of a stamp or phone call on them.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Between us we donate regularly to around 12 charities and all of them have our contact details, so going by the above statement we should be on that list and be bombarded with calls from loads of other charities, but that does not happen because charities do not share this data. For a start it would be illegal, and secondly no charity wants to dilute gifts by their supporters by having money diverted to other charities.

The only calls we get from charities are from the ones we already support. Door to door cold calling is another matter though.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 18th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,980 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Between us we donate regularly to around 12 charities and all of them have our contact details, so going by the above statement we should be on that list and be bombarded with calls from loads of other charities, but that does not happen because charities do not share this data. For a start it would be illegal, and secondly no charity wants to dilute gifts by their supporters by having money diverted to other charities.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Sadly this is not remotely the case.

(from this article - yes, I know it's the Daily Heil, but the facts are not in dispute)

You have clearly been very careful in giving out your details and ticking the "opt-out" boxes, but sadly not everyone is as careful.

Charities are not concerned by "diluting", the emotional pressure they put on someone to set up or increase their Direct Debit has nothing to do with whether they can afford it. And while it should be illegal, it isn't. And even if it is illegal, the police won't do anything about it.
    • securityguy
    • By securityguy 18th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    securityguy
    I'm slightly ashamed to say I don't give any money systematically to any charities, because I'm not convinced of how it is spent and I am concerned about their "oh, the law doesn't apply to us, we're the _good_ _guys_" attitude to both the DPA and the TPS. I'm a member of the National Trust, English Heritage and the YHA, the grand middle-class trifecta, and I usually tick the "make a donation as well" box when buying stuff from charities. But they can have my bank details and my phone number over my dead body, because I simply don't trust them. Any of them. They've got into an arms race with each other, and the only way to win that game is not to play.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin