Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 16th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    • 2,815Posts
    • 37,942Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017 16th Sep 17 at 5:31 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself awake enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/salad for the menfolk, I had a clear up dinner, of half a packet of a stir fry mix from the freezer, then a use up from the fridge of peppers, courgette, onion, carrot, pak choi, mushrooms, a drizzle of soy and some balsamic, and a splash of white wine, it was delicious and was just veg. Tonight will be an easy dinner of ready made s/fried chicken, pizza, chips and salad.

Yesterday I did get the ironing all done, and tried again to make bread, the machine has definitely died, it worked for a few minutes then started making a god awful noise and the paddle that does the mixing wasn't working and the motor sounded like it was going to explode - so it's going to the tip. At the moment I've made a decision not to replace it - as I don't use it enough. The extra space in the cupboard will make a lot of difference as I'm now going to have a sort out and get as much off the worktops as possible, it'll just make it look a huge amount better and it'll be easier to keep clean.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 16-09-2017 at 5:48 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 16th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    [QUOTE=Floss;Silver Oldie hope your DH wasn't too outspoken QUOTE]

He was a little, but sad to say she hasn't always been the kindest.

Silver oldie if your new phone is from Virgin you should be able to get help at Carphone Warehouse. my friend did recently.
    Originally posted by Gintotmelinda
    The phone is Alcatel with O2 PAYG sim bought from Telefonica.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 15,258 Posts
    • 123,981 Thanks
    JackieO
    Judi have a look at Transferwise its excellent for transferring cash abroad and a fraction of the cost of the banks .
    Gintotmelinda I too had a bit of a smile when I found out ,hey ho life goes on
    Managed to get a lovely coffee and walnut HM cake at the church coffee and cake sale plus two cups of coffee and a chunk of lemon drizzle for a fiver all told and all the cah is going to the local food bank in Medway. Bit ironic really all of us eating and buying food to raise money for a food bank

Right I'm off to my sis in laws in Faversham shortly then we are both going to pop into my eldest DD as she is at their caravan this weekend in Deal, then we are going to the Zetland Arms on the beach at Deal for a meal
    Have a good eveneing chums
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 16th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 3,835 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello everyone I'm back from me 'olidays. and boy has the temperature dropped !
    Had a lovely time but I don't know where the last two weeks have gone, however my washing basket is now overflowing and it looks like we have been away for two months . I have put one load out, mainly T shirts and underwear and the second is still in the machine, but the forecast doesn't seem very favourable for this afternoon. Fingers crossed that it doesn't rain till tea time. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.
    At present my spare room looks like Rag Harris's yard, because all the caravan stuff has been dumped in there until I sort it and put away properly. Unfortunately there will be no more carvanning till next May, so we will empty it completely over the next few days .
    This morning we called in DD's and given the DGC their presents and we also paid our deposit ready for DGS football tournament next May, which will be held in Devon. So we will be back down to Torbay this time in a static caravan with DD and family, as we seem to have become football groupies .
    Today my elderly neighbour is having her bath taken out and a "walk in shower " fitted. So lots of hammering and drilling coming from next door . I spoke to her earlier and said it will be better for her but I don't think she really knows whats happening, only that they are making a dreadful noise and a lot of mess !
    Right, washing has finished so will go and hang it out.
    Gers I'm glad your mum is back home.
    Csarina you completly threw me when you said you were going to do a Friday clean. I thought I'd lost a day .
    Hope everyone has an enjoyable Saturday and hugs to anyone who needs one.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Sep 17, 3:11 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 30,671 Thanks
    Floss
    ...Mr LW wasn't so peaceful; at one point he somehow had one leg dangling out of bed, and was kicking the side of the bed with his heel; very uncomfortable for me, as it reverberated through to my side. Also he was making some right weird noises in his sleep, too. I know it's not deliberate, but if he's going to do that on a regular basis, I may just have to sleep on the sofa.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    The rule in our house is that the one who is doing the disturbing gets up & sleeps elsewhere
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 16th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 25,680 Posts
    • 104,039 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just spat my coffee out at the hamster story
    A few years ago, DD n family went to the lakes on hols n took their hamster.Anyway , one morning DGS was having one of his screaming fits, ñthe poor thing dropped dead with fright SIL took it out to "bury it in the woods" , n DGD saw him chucking it in the bin! Poor kid is still traumatised
    Not much OSing going on here today, as I'm in a CBA mood.Need to poo pick on the back though, as landscaper is coming tomorrow to give me a quote 😏
    GERS I'm glad your Mum's back home, bless her ❤
    LW , give BLUE BELL a snog from us .I can't have my two on the bed anymore , as I get too hot now I have to agree with FLOSS on the sleep disturbance rules
    TTFN xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 9,687 Posts
    • 104,532 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The rule in our house is that the one who is doing the disturbing gets up & sleeps elsewhere
    Originally posted by Floss
    Normally I'd agree; however he's so very "active" when he's asleep that he's fallen out of our double bed on several occasions; I just don't think it'd be safe for him to sleep on the rather narrow sofa, he'd be on the floor in no time. On the other hand, I'm used to sleeping on a six-inch-wide strip of bed. Also, when he's asleep, (which he is when he's doing all this) he is impossible to wake; so if I'm awake anyway, I might as well be the one to go and sleep elsewhere.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 16th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 13,183 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Lame Wolf it is me who is the wriggly sleeper here, to my shame, I have managed to punch my poor OH in the face while thrashing about, or at least that's what he says, I don't normally hut people at all, I am a peaceable person but I would have been in the grip of a nightmare.

Gers great to know that your mum is home.

Floss, no, I did it, he was not very pleased with his efforts and retired hurt.

I've just come back from buying a present for OH for his birthday tomorrow and have been to my dear friend with her card and gifts she was away on her day, and from the greenhouse which was once mine but I wanted to be rid of it with a garden full of small children (one mine) she has given me lots of cherry toms and a lovely cucumber, and sone apples from the tree. I'm going to make an apple cake for the office. And probably some biscuits for DS who keeps uttering the same two words over and over, sugar cookies. All v v easy and fun.

Hester I was so sad to read about your friend, how terrible for her.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 5,769 Posts
    • 33,597 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening.

Since coming back from the shopping expedition I've mostly been asleep! I lay down to listen to Punt PI podcast and just zonked out.

DM has been pottering around. She's now sitting watching seven episodes of 'Doctors'.

I've read everything here and my eyes felt heavy just at the thought of all everyone's doing! My mood isn't so much CBA but one of being worn out - must be all that emotional tension building up.

As for sleeping in single beds, I've always (as an adult) been really worried about falling out of bed. Even as a student nurse I put my bed next to the wall so I could feel the edge and be secure. No idea why.

Right, I've got 'Farming Life' and 'Celebrity Master Chef' to catch up on. Hope I stay awaje!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,046Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin