Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 16th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    • 2,815Posts
    • 37,946Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017 16th Sep 17 at 5:31 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself awake enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/salad for the menfolk, I had a clear up dinner, of half a packet of a stir fry mix from the freezer, then a use up from the fridge of peppers, courgette, onion, carrot, pak choi, mushrooms, a drizzle of soy and some balsamic, and a splash of white wine, it was delicious and was just veg. Tonight will be an easy dinner of ready made s/fried chicken, pizza, chips and salad.

Yesterday I did get the ironing all done, and tried again to make bread, the machine has definitely died, it worked for a few minutes then started making a god awful noise and the paddle that does the mixing wasn't working and the motor sounded like it was going to explode - so it's going to the tip. At the moment I've made a decision not to replace it - as I don't use it enough. The extra space in the cupboard will make a lot of difference as I'm now going to have a sort out and get as much off the worktops as possible, it'll just make it look a huge amount better and it'll be easier to keep clean.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 16-09-2017 at 5:48 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 16th Sep 17, 5:49 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 13,189 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:49 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:49 AM
    Morning all and thank you for starting the thread nmlc.
    Yesterday involved hours and hours of cleaning, but I managed an hour to myself at the end of the day and fell asleep on the sofa after dinner.
    Today I must shop for birthday gifts and am calling in at my friend's house for a cup of tea after that.
    I hope everyone has a good day, and am thinking of those with worries and woes.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 16th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 17,120 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's not a bad morning here. I'm sitting with the back door open as Max wanted to go out and it feels quite pleasant. I've just made myself a nice cup of tea and I am ready to catch up on what's been happening in the world.

I had a nice day yesterday but it was very busy with visitors coming and going. I also managed to take Phoebe to the doctors for her blood tests that CAMHS wanted her to have. Lilly has her friend sleeping over, they have taken over the living room so I am busy being quiet in the dining room .

Today promises to be quite busy too. I have shopping being delivered in a couple of hours and Becky has a new mattress being delivered at lunch time. My lovely friend is all on her ownsome after being abandoned by the men in her life to go and play football so I suggested she comes here for some company and tea. I am expecting her this afternoon.

I ordered some new pillows as our old ones have gone a bit flat but my goodness, these new ones are awful. They are supposed to be the overstuffed ones but when I put my head on them last night I just went straight down and nearly hit the mattress. They are as unsubstantial as a cloud so I am going back to my old ones tonight.

Becky went to her first concert last night. She went to see an AC/DC tribute band and took Steve along as her bodyguard. I think she had a great time judging by the photos on Facebook. I don't know if Steve enjoyed himself though as I was fast asleep by the time he came in.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 925 Posts
    • 7,463 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

I’ve given in every evening this week and had the heating on for an hour or so and I just can’t cope with having a shower in a cold bathroom so have set the time clock for it to come on for a short time before I get up I the mornings. It seems early this year to need this.

The organisation that I volunteer for has got a stand at a jobs/volunteering fair today and I’ve agreed to talk to potential volunteers for a couple of hours this morning. It’s something we attend every year and I always enjoy talking to people who are interested in the work that we do so I don’t mind doing it.

Dinner tonight will be sausage, mash and veg. I got the sausages out of the freezer yesterday when looking for something else and they had started to defrost before I realised they were still out. At least it made the decision on what to have tonight easy.

Time for some more tea, and some breakfast before I get ready to go out.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 5,770 Posts
    • 33,608 Thanks
    Gers
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    Good morning everyone - still under my duvet as I slept so well last night.

Mum arrived home about 7.00pm (boy was I relieved), had a wee wander round her flat, sat on the sofa for a cup of tea and then went to bed. Hopefully she'll have also slept well.

I'll go to do a little shopping for her this morning and just spend the day looking after her. A big injection of mega TLC is on the cards.

I hope everyone is doing well. Happy Saturday to all.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 16th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    Good morning all

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

Pleased to hear your Mum is home Gers

Yesterday was not a good day. Went to visit Mother in the morning, she decided she didn't want to talk to me. This upset DH who told her what he thought, so we cut our visit short.

My mobile phone is very old and the battery didn't hold its charge, so I bought a new one online, silly mistake.
    I spent most of the afternoon trying to take the back off to put the sim and battery in. Then it was ring this number, put in 19 digit code (which I could hardly see as the print was so small) then PIN number, Oh dear, I'm too old for this. Only want a phone in case of emergency. A couple of times I was tempted to put it in the bin. Should have bought it in store and had help, my own fault.

Today looks bright, not sure what I'll be doing.

Hope you all have a good day.
    Last edited by silver-oldie; 16-09-2017 at 7:59 AM.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 16th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 40,048 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    Morning All

Glad DM is home Gers, a big relief for you.

The weather isn't really doing much at the moment, I've put my bedding on the line but it's just hanging there. Typical, the last two days have been lovely drying weather!

DD, DS2 and I went to Glasgow last night, met in a pub then walked to a curry house, it was really lovely food and I was glad of a walk back to the station. I ate far too much but really enjoyed it.

Need to take my phone to Tesco this morning, the bluetooth has stopped working so I can't connect to the car, I'll drop DS2 off in Glasgow on my way as he's going to Edinburgh to catch up with some friends later.

Hope you all have a great weekend, take care. XX
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 15,263 Posts
    • 124,022 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    Good Morning everyone and another bright start to the day .
    Great that you have your Mum home again Gers I bet that is a relief and now to give her a wee pampering

Silver-oldie find a teenager that you trust locally and they will do the phone for you.My DGS always fix my techy problems as youngsters are so au fait with all sorts of phones.

This morning I am off to church cake sale (a bit coals to newcastle really ) but I promised I would show my face and its a good cause As I am off down to my sis-in-laws in Faversham tonight I will buy one for her as a little present We are going out to dinner tonight at Deal so no cooking for us just lots of nattering I expect.

DD texted me yesterday morning and said could I take the hamster's cage up to the tip as it had died during the night ,so I dutifully went round saw the cage ,put it in a bin bag and dropped it off at the tip for her .
    Last night she rang and said what did you do with Bluey (the hamster !!! errr .... I didn't do anything with it why ? apparently she said he was in his little box still !!!!OOPs
    Bluey went to the tip as well
    Oh dear I thought she had taken it out for burial So I'm in the dog house (well the hamster house I guess How was I to know ???

She gets her new car tomorrow so it will put her in a better frame of mind

Right time to get a wriggle on as I have lots to do today
    Have a good one chums what ever you are doing ,enjoy

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 16th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    • 15,085 Posts
    • 61,373 Thanks
    Judi
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    Morning all

What a beautiful sunny day it is here. The heating will come on in a minute. I'll have to turn it off.

Went shopping last night, apart from it being dark, shopping late at night definitely has its benefits. The shop was dead.

Hubby has gone to work. First Saturday he's done in quite a while and he's only gone in because they are paying him double time and has spent a lot lately (on the house though so I won't complain). One of his cars is in the garage tomorrow. I'm amazed they work Sundays but when needs must I suppose.

I've been a bit lapse on my charity giving lately. Went to send some money to my daughter in SA only to find the banking transfer fees have doubled. PayPal it is then and I hate PayPal with a passion!

Not sure what to do with my day. I need to sort my fridge out that's for sure as last night I just chucked everything in.

Gers so glad your Mum is home.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 16th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 36,532 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to all those in need, glad mum is home Gers.

CHS has been dropped at work, I've done the shopping for the week, oh the joys of having a working fridge again. I treated us to a small piece of lamb, ouch it was expensive, I shall make it stretch to a few meals. I spent £38 in total, more than I should for 2 of us, but cheaper than shopping every couple of days.

I had a message from a friend who had her 20 week scan, the baby has Edwards Syndrome, it's unsurvivable, so sad, she had a miscarriage last year.

I'm best get on with cleaning the boat, and get the washing machine going.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 30,698 Thanks
    Floss

Am sitting in the fresh air on the allotment, making the most of the peace & quiet with just birds and the odd local cat for company. It is due to rain later so thought I would come & do a couple of things before the weather arrives and I retreat home to do my college assignment... I am very skilled at procrastination however, so may well find something more interesting to do

Gers glad your mum is home
    Judi have you looked at Western Union for your money transfer?
    Dumpling one of our neighbours plays bass in an AC/DC tribute band
    HH how many more days till the Great Escape?!
    Camelot enjoy having both of the offspring together
    Silver Oldie hope your DH wasn't too outspoken
    AoD did your DS help with the cleaning?

Right, am off to pick tomatoes in the greenhouse as its started to rain, have a good day all.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 18,046 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Glad to read that your Mum is home Gers she will enjoy all that TLC and being in her own home.
    Like you I can't stand a cold bathroom Holly so our heating is on for hour in morning just to take edge off.
    Oh Hester your poor friend

I have just finished my boiled egg with marmite soldiers and will be heading to the yard soon to sort Lulu out before more rain comes over, one thing about being in the fens at least you can see it coming!
    Apart from that am all up to date with chores etc so will have some r&r on the sofa with my latest book, I made a Bara Birth yesterday so might have to have a slice of that too
    Supper is goats cheese and pesto tart so nice and easy.

Have a good day folks x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 16th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 15,240 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Gers.....pleased your Mum is home at last.

We slept in separate beds last night, I slept not too bad, but I was exhausted. OH said he slept ok too, will continue for 2 or 3 nights and then try going back.

Someone is supposed to be collecting the dryer today, do not have much faith, she is supposed to contact me this morning to say what time she is coming.

I need to do the Friday clean, did not do it properly last week, OH is laid in his relaxer chair, the headache has peaked, which it does from time to time. might get the dusting done whilst he is lying down, will have to wait to put the dyson on, also need to wash the kitchen floor.

Chicken something for supper tonight.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 16th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 11,066 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all
    Tired today after a busy week. Not much going on here at the moment thank goodness. I will have a shower in a minute now the house has warmed up and I have had my first bowl of porridge of the Autumn.

OH and I need to go food shopping in a bit. the fridge is a bit bare. haven't got a meal plan yet.

Silver oldie if your new phone is from Virgin you should be able to get help at Carphone Warehouse. my friend did recently.

Jackie O sorry I did have a little chuckle..........

Gers glad mum is back home.

Mmm looked at my Autumn clothes and I don't have a lot to wear. I think I must have got rid of some old faithfuls in the Spring and thenforgot. I will have to hit Bon Marche as I used to get quite a lot of clothes in BHS.

Well have a nice day all and keep warm.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 16th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 6,426 Posts
    • 88,800 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Nice bright and breezy day here atm, I have a load in the wm of work stuff which I will hang out today, will also do a towel load after that.

OH is going to mow the lawn and get the log stacked into the shed they have dried out well and burn very well, We should have enough to get us through the winter.

I need to nip to the shop for a few bits and I must get some biscuits for the window men who are coming later in the week.

Did not get to meet dd's young man last night as something went wrong at his work so doing that tonight instead.

Im going to persuade OH that he needs to cook me a nice breakfast of bacon avocado and poached egg

Gers so glad mum is home xx

Have good days all xx
    Last edited by redruby; 16-09-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 16th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 15,085 Posts
    • 61,373 Thanks
    Judi
    I had a message from a friend who had her 20 week scan, the baby has Edwards Syndrome, it's unsurvivable, so sad, she had a miscarriage last year.
    Thats so sad.
    Judi have you looked at Western Union for your money transfer?
    No maybe i should. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Dumpling one of our neighbours plays bass in an AC/DC tribute band
    I just love Ac/Dc. Ive got a soft spot for Brian Johnson. I think its his flat cap and jeans.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • dp1
    • By dp1 16th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    dp1
    Morning everyone
    Just having a cuppa whilst waiting for Tesco delivery to come. Stripped my bed so bedding is on the line, cleaned bathrooms and towels are in the washing machine. Want to get everything dry as its forecast rain later. Oh and Ive done a pile of ironing too.
    Eldest Dd texted to say tickets for the Harry Potter play are released this morning, so shes going to try to get some. We would both love to see it. Shes tried before but not managed to get any.

Jackie O .... hamster story amused me too.

Hope everyone has a good day
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 16th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 36,532 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Floss I have 24 working days!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 30,698 Thanks
    Floss
    Floss I have 24 working days!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    Oh yay!!!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 9,691 Posts
    • 104,567 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Gers good thet your Mum is home; I bet she's far more comfortable in her own familiar surroundings.

Hester so sorry to hear the news about your friend.

My mobile phone is very old and the battery didn't hold its charge, so I bought a new one online, silly mistake.
    I spent most of the afternoon trying to take the back off to put the sim and battery in. Then it was ring this number, put in 19 digit code (which I could hardly see as the print was so small) then PIN number, Oh dear, I'm too old for this. Only want a phone in case of emergency. A couple of times I was tempted to put it in the bin. Should have bought it in store and had help, my own fault.
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    My phone is nine years old, and held together with a laccy band, otherwise the back falls off and the battery falls out. I have two more old phones in a box, for in case when it finally turns up it's toes, but I shall take this as a Cautionary Tale in case I ever end up having to actually buy a new phone.

Bluebell had a good night; she slept right through. She sleeps on her owner's bed at home, so we let her sleep up with us. She was as good as gold, got up on the bed, made herself comfortable leaning up against me with her whole length and went straight to sleep.
    Mr LW wasn't so peaceful; at one point he somehow had one leg dangling out of bed, and was kicking the side of the bed with his heel; very uncomfortable for me, as it reverberated through to my side. Also he was making some right weird noises in his sleep, too. I know it's not deliberate, but if he's going to do that on a regular basis, I may just have to sleep on the sofa.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 16-09-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,300Posts Today

9,285Users online

Martin's Twitter