Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 16th Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    • 178Posts
    • 121Thanks
    PhilE
    Neighbours guests using my drive without my permission.
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    Neighbours guests using my drive without my permission. 16th Sep 17 at 12:16 AM
    Probably not a big deal for some, but I don't like it. This evening I was doing a repair on my front porch when one of the neighbors guests used my drive to reverse in, right in front of me.

Was very tempted to go straight round the neighbors. The guest could of been visiting one of two houses. One house has neighbors who have been excellent, and I didn't want to trouble them as the husband is a nervous type.

The other neighbor is rather like her dog, barks at anything all day long if its not sitting there looking nervous. Even look in her direction and she's ready to be on the offensive.

The easiest solution would be to install a telescopic post or cheaper folding one. Adds a measure of security also.

The folding ones start at £20, telescopic £75. Id like something strong enough to leave a good dent, should someone be careless enough to use my drive with them in place. Suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by PhilE; 16-09-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Page 2
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 16th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Plank of wood with some 4" nails will stop it.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 16th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    PhilE
    Everything has a finite life - including the tarmac/block paving/flagstones that the driveway is made of. More use it gets, the less time it will last.

I will give testament that its annoying - we share an access drive with two others, as neighbours up the road have used one of the proper turning spaces for their parking - so they don't have to use their own drive, there is limited space to now turn. So where do they all turn? Yes, in our shared drive.

Most people granted do only reverse as far up to the footpath (council owned) and no more, their wheels do not go over. Others, DPD, Asda vans etc, have to reverse all the way into the shared access to turn around. Its annoying as I will have to pay a third of any repairs done to that area.
    Originally posted by JP1978
    I can relate, I'd just cleaned and repaired my drive. Repair bills do add up over time.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 16th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    PhilE
    I'm with the original poster on this one. It irritates the hell out of me. Can you put up gates?
    Originally posted by goodwithsaving
    Could do, but I like the posts as they 'tuck away,' nicely.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 16th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 22,547 Posts
    • 56,175 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I think I've been on MumsNet too long. My initial thought was "penguin bollards".

Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 16th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    PhilE
    I'm with the original poster on this one. It irritates the hell out of me. Can you put up gates?
    Originally posted by goodwithsaving
    Funny how it offends people to be irritated about strangers using your driveway! Have a look at some of these comments, hilarious....

Bad manners Britain, act like a total c### and get facetious to anyone who gets offended by it.
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 16th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 3,300 Thanks
    sulphate
    I thought you were going to say they parked on your driveway!

What an overreaction.

My mum parked on a neighbours driveway when she came to visit once because it was snowing and she got confused which house was ours. (Obviously she moved it straight away when she realised.) Glad it wasn't on your driveway- she'd have probably been sent a bill for wear and tear on the tarmac
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 16th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    PhilE
    Please state your postcode, so at least the forum members can add it to their Rightmove blacklist filter.
    Originally posted by Grenage
    So you believe someone who has an issue with strangers using their driveway, should have their property blacklisted.

That is beyond idiotic.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 16th Sep 17, 8:40 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    PhilE
    I thought you were going to say they parked on your driveway!

What an overreaction.

My mum parked on a neighbours driveway when she came to visit once because it was snowing and she got confused which house was ours. (Obviously she moved it straight away when she realised.) Glad it wasn't on your driveway- she'd have probably been sent a bill for wear and tear on the tarmac
    Originally posted by sulphate
    Also beyond idiotic. Tell you what, I'll come and reverse up your driveway and see how you like it. Don't over react now. That would make you a hypocrite.
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 16th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 3,300 Thanks
    sulphate
    Also beyond idiotic. Tell you what, I'll come and reverse up your driveway and see how you like it. Don't over react now. That would make you a hypocrite.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    Well, now you mention it, someone parked on our driveway the other day! They took a wrong turn and pulled over. I say they parked on our driveway, but their wheels actually only just TOUCHED the tarmac. Talk about trespassing. They were there for about 2 minutes before figuring out where to go and setting off again. How dare they when they could have just carried on using their sat nav while driving? Obviously, I foamed at the mouth before posting all about it on MSE.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    So you believe someone who has an issue with strangers using their driveway, should have their property blacklisted.

That is beyond idiotic.
    It's OK Phil, we'd already realised you've no sense of humour, no need to confirm it.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Sep 17, 1:45 AM
    • 23,556 Posts
    • 89,410 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I had some sympathy with Phil when he came here with issues about barking dogs and people kicking footballs against his Mum's fence, but here I think he's just being petty and intolerant.

By all means, stand up to others and even spend money if the problem is genuinely worth fighting about, but here the issue is with random strangers who are gone in seconds.

Perhaps Phil doesn't appreciate that millions of us experience similar kinds of temporary infringements and just shrug our shoulders, mainly because they don't warrant raising our blood pressure.

Also, from pure self-interest, we know it's far better to rub along cheerfully with neighbours, even if they're not the people we'd choose to have next door. Phil recognises that to some extent in his post; he was right not to go 'straight around to the neighbours.'
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ben501
    • By ben501 17th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    ben501
    Put up a sign - Caution Nails on Drive. If it doesn't deter them, then actually put a few down.

Just don't forget to remove them before anyone else, especially the postie or other foot visitors walk along it.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 23,556 Posts
    • 89,410 Thanks
    Davesnave
    ben501, get on with your homework! Then you can enjoy the good weather today with a clear conscience.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 5th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    PhilE
    I had some sympathy with Phil when he came here with issues about barking dogs and people kicking footballs against his Mum's fence, but here I think he's just being petty and intolerant.

By all means, stand up to others and even spend money if the problem is genuinely worth fighting about, but here the issue is with random strangers who are gone in seconds.

Perhaps Phil doesn't appreciate that millions of us experience similar kinds of temporary infringements and just shrug our shoulders, mainly because they don't warrant raising our blood pressure.

Also, from pure self-interest, we know it's far better to rub along cheerfully with neighbours, even if they're not the people we'd choose to have next door. Phil recognises that to some extent in his post; he was right not to go 'straight around to the neighbours.'
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Dave, you've given some good advice in previous posts which is why I'm bothering to reply to you. When its something you care about, you sympathize. When its something you personally don't care about the other becomes 'petty and intolerant.'

I'd just repaired and cleaned my drive, somebody used it without my consent which meant I had to go through the process of repairing it again. That might not bother you, it bothers me. Except
    it probably would bother you going by your previous posts, which means your now being hypocritical. A shame because as I said, you have come up with good advice prior to this.
    Last edited by PhilE; 05-10-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 5th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    Think this a an overreaction and will cause unnecessary friction with your neighbours. We get people reversing in our drive all day long because we live on a road near a school, not a lot we can do about it unless we install big gates but it doesn't really bother us.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 5,243 Thanks
    societys child
    I'd just repaired and cleaned my drive, somebody used it without my consent which meant I had to go through the process of repairing it again
    You had to repair it again? Have you done it right the second time ?

• littlerock
    • By littlerock 5th Oct 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    littlerock
    Park a large wheelie bin or two on the entrance to your drive
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 5th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 22,920 Posts
    • 59,217 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Dave, you've given some good advice in previous posts which is why I'm bothering to reply to you. When its something you care about, you sympathize. When its something you personally don't care about the other becomes 'petty and intolerant.'

I'd just repaired and cleaned my drive, somebody used it without my consent which meant I had to go through the process of repairing it again. That might not bother you, it bothers me. Except
    it probably would bother you going by your previous posts, which means your now being hypocritical. A shame because as I said, you have come up with good advice prior to this.

Cleaned your drive!

Is this another job that your supposed to do,to show you're a grown up?

We've never cleaned the drive. When we had a kitchen fitted the carpenter swept up any sawdust, bits etc he'd left laying there.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 12,771 Posts
    • 8,249 Thanks
    photome

what damage did they do for you to have to repair it again?

how much of their car actually entered your drive, is there a pavement to cross first
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Oct 17, 7:26 PM
    • 23,556 Posts
    • 89,410 Thanks
    Davesnave

Maybe it's the other way around; when my advice doesn't match what you want to hear, its poor.

What have I said before that indicates your minor annoyances detailed above would bother me?

I could have plenty of issues with my drive if I wanted to. I won't bore people with details, but we share part with a neighbour who's housebound, which means numerous delivery vans and carers' vehicles every day. It's unfortunate that the repairing obligation is 70% us and 30% them, but I can live with it because I have my health and 3 pensions, while they have next to nothing.

The private entrance leading to our drive would definitely give you apoplexy, because it is the only turn space within half a mile that's large enough to allow lorries to change direction. So, they do. About once a day I hear the 'beep, beep, beep' of some lorry's reversing klaxon. If I yelled at them that really would be hypocritical, because all of us who live in the country take wrong turnings now and again, so we do exactly the same thing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,205Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter