Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gavin78
    • By Gavin78 15th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 184Posts
    • 49Thanks
    Gavin78
    4.6ghz OC not running as it should?
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    4.6ghz OC not running as it should? 15th Sep 17 at 11:35 PM
    Wonder if someone could help me.

I bought a bundle from Scan last year pre OC'd to 4.6ghz

It's an i5 4690k I had problems when I installed it crashing so did a burn test and it started shutting down about 60 seconds in.

Contacted Scan who assisted me in trying to get a stable OC via email by which I increased the voltage to 1.365 on a 150watt cooler which in OCCT peaked at around 65/70c.

other than that pc has been running fine with an idle clock at about 35c and gaming looked like it reached about 60c max.

a year later I decided to try OCCT again and it started crashing again getting to 90c (was stable gaming) just the benchmark tests. so I contacted scan again and told them.

They suggested I moved the voltage to 1.37 or sync all cores to 45. rather than do this I decided to buy a water cooler H100i V2 (push- pull config) while I have had a few issues with the backplate being lose and trying the washer trick to get it stable it didn't seem to have the desired effect.

So I took them off and just installed the cooler without. So I tried the 1.37 voltage and it didn't make a difference even with the AIO cooler system shut down with Prime 95 and OCCT and Aida64 stopped the test when it got to 87c.

I took the voltage back to 1.365 but sync'd all cores to 43 again it's not shutting down but cooler is just about keeping the cores at around 78c with a 1800rpm fan speed

There is 2 profile settings in the bios one for the OC the other for default settings. when I set the pc to default settings the cooler keeps the CPU at around 23c and prime 95 test after 1 hour never goes above 55c with cooler set to quiet (900rpm).

I can only assume the cooler is attached fine but the OC seems really unstable?

Just wondering if I should tinker a bit more with the OC myself as this bundle other than the AIO cooler came with 3 year cover so let scan deal with it?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    Not all processors overclock and overclock steady, it's really down to pot luck as how stable it will be. You can have two chips from the same production batch, one won't overclock at all and the other will be rock solid and stable at 5Ghz. It's the way the system works.

The likes of Prime95 are designed to stress the crap and then more out of the setup and push it to beyond its natural limits or at least to a point beyond what you'd normally push it to in normal use. Most processors have a thermal cutout at 90 degrees (anything up to 80 degrees under load is pretty much normal) and overclocking does generate more heat so this suggests to me either the cooler isn't good enough or you may need to reapply the thermal paste on the processor.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 25,693 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    Exactly as above. Do you have any software that runs the CPU constanly FULL load for hours on end?

Its an unrealistic test. If your testing coolers to see if one is better than another or which processor is likely to clock higher from a batch then fine. But for everyday use its just OTT.

What software do you have that pushes the CPU hardest? Run that and a game at the same time and see the results.

I have a H100i and my R1700 overclocked doesnt go above 46 degrees.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

6,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin