Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs p
    • By Mrs p 15th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mrs p
    A question for Jobseekers.
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    A question for Jobseekers. 15th Sep 17 at 10:35 PM
    This is a genuine question from a Universal Credit Work coach.
    I have worked in the benefits system for the last twenty years and as such have seen a number of governments come and go I have also been the recipient of benefit twice in my adult life so am no stranger to making ends meet, 7p tins of beans and boiling eggs in the kettle?

My question is how would you pay people between jobs
    Ensure its paid correctly?
    Support people who need extra help?
    Genuinely interested in how we can do this better?
    Last edited by Mrs p; 15-09-2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Page 2
    • annandale
    • By annandale 16th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    annandale
    Ive got issues with my vision at present and was posting on a tiny phone.

But after you've finished having a dig I'd just like to let you know that universal credit isn't like working tax credits. Employers don't even need to know that an employee is on uc. They don't get subsidies for taking staff on.

Your employer doesn't need to know that you are on UC. Mine didn't. My earnings got reported automatically by HMRC to the job centre.

Rather than making digs at my lack of education maybe you should do some research on universal credit. Its nothing like wtc and the last employer I worked for paid more than minimum wage. Neither did they get any subsidies. I had the job before I claimed universal credit.

People don't always get funds to pay for work clothes. Its discretionary. People can also claim support with rent until their first wage but there are conditions attached, how long you've been on benefit without a break in the claim is one.

As for signing on until you get your first wage I believe you are expected to sign off when you start work and not when your first pay comes in.

People can and do get sanctioned for refusing jobs.

Maybe do some research on what universal credit is. The post you made above is factually incorrect.
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 16th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 4,144 Thanks
    ariarnia
    ...universal credit isn't like working tax credits. Employers don't even need to know that an employee is on uc. They don't get subsidies for taking staff on.

...Maybe do some research on what universal credit is. The post you made above is factually incorrect.
    Originally posted by annandale
    Maybe do some thinking and realise I'm talking about the system I'd like us to have, not the system we do have, therefore my post can't be factually incorrect (unless of course you think you know better than I do the system I'd like to see implemented?).

I have made no comments on this thread referencing the current UK benefit system.

Every in work benefit which is given on an income assessed basis to someone working because their wage is below a set threshold is a subsidy to an employer because it means they don't have to pay a liveable wage to that employee (which also reduces the employees pensionable/taxable earnings, therefore the employers contributions to pension and NI).

You say I'm making digs at your lack of education but you're the one that claimed to have advanced qualifications and multiple degrees but are unable to understand an argument or form a coherent logical response.

Stop chucking in irrelevant information and understand that you're only hurting your position by responding before you understand what the other person is actually saying.
    Last edited by ariarnia; 16-09-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 18th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 16,988 Posts
    • 44,642 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    My suggestions would be don;t make people wait 6 weeks (or more) for a payment, it does not reflect work, at most you'd have a month before you got paid and that doesn't take into account those of us who get paid weekly. Between signing off esa and starting my job i only had to manage 2 weeks without pay.

Secondly how do you plan to take disabilities into account? On starting UC i'll be expected to look for work of 35 hours a week. I cannot work full time. I have a sick note stating i can only work 6 hours per day and even occupational health state i can only work 20 hours per week. The last time i worked full time lead to a breakdown and suicide attempt that took 3 1/2 years of being in the support group of ESA to recover from.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • annandale
    • By annandale 20th Sep 17, 3:47 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    annandale
    There are different categories for uc. There's a limited capability for work group. There's more information online and there are numerous facebook universal credit support groups. Some are better than others but they should all be able to give you information on uc and esa.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin