Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 15th Sep 17, 10:25 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Jb_1982
    Energy Supplier
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:25 PM
    Energy Supplier 15th Sep 17 at 10:25 PM
    Hi All,

I'm a first time seller of a property, and of course I am buying another property to move into.

What happens regarding the energy supplier when the comes to switching houses?

Can you switch energy suppliers if you want to?

Do you have stick with the same one?

I have literally no idea, so any advice is much appreciated.
Page 1
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 15th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    ruperts
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    Same as when you moved into your first property - take meter readings, contact existing supplier of new property and they'll put you on their standard tariff which you're free to switch away from at any time.

In terms of your existing supplier at your current property, if you're in a contract there might be cancellation fees but you should be able to switch it to the new property to avoid them. If you're not in a contract you can just close your account. Either way let them know in advance and submit meter reasons on move out day.
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 15th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    So, I'm with Flow Energy at the moment, the house I am buying is currently with Coop. I ring my current energy supplier (Flow Energy) and give them the readings on my move day and my account with them is then cancelled if I want to. Then when I move to the new property I ring their current supplier (Coop) and they put me on their standard tariff? Then I can switch once I've settled in?
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 15th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    ruperts
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    You got it. The coop will probably offer you a better tariff when you call them, which you could accept if you wanted to but you'd probably then be put into a contract. If you ask to be put on their standard tariff that will allow you to do a price comparison whenever you're ready and join whoever you want.
    • Winter Phoenix
    • By Winter Phoenix 16th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Winter Phoenix
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    Don't forget to give the Co-op your moving-in-day readings as well. Otherwise, if the previous owner forgot to provide a reading when they left, the Co-op will estimate who used what (and you could end up out of pocket).
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,320Posts Today

9,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin