Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 15th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 257Posts
    • 21Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    Purchasing Handset Outright
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    Purchasing Handset Outright 15th Sep 17 at 10:22 PM
    Hi,

In a month I will be coming to the end of my contract £21pm (1000min, UL Texts, 4G) with Z3 Compact (which is now defunct).

I've decided to now purchase a handset outright and put it through my company as an expense.
    I intend to purchase a handset (Xiaomi) from Europe.

My question is, are handsets sold with or without VAT?
    Also, are there any potential issues with purchasing from Europe?
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 16th Sep 17, 3:58 AM
    • 7,536 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:58 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:58 AM
    As I understand it VAT is charged on all items sold in Europe. There are no import tariffs or duty, however, so you can literally buy something in Europe as if you were buying it in the UK.

The only thing that might differ is how you claim back the VAT for business purchases -- also the VAT rate you pay (and can reclaim) may be different to the UK's rate.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 9,611 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    Check on warranty coverage as well .
    Dont forget UK consumer/ Business regulations do not apply .
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    How are you going to deal with any issues arising after the sale? Are you prepared if necessary to deal with an overseas retailer?

Personally, I'd stick to a UK supplier, but as long as you know what you're getting into

cross-posted with above!
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 16th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    you cannot claim vat back when buying in EU. However if you give your VAT number to the supplier they may nor charge you VAT and invoice to you as export
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 16th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    Actually, you can.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    Hi,

In a month I will be coming to the end of my contract £21pm (1000min, UL Texts, 4G) with Z3 Compact (which is now defunct).

I've decided to now purchase a handset outright and put it through my company as an expense.
    I intend to purchase a handset (Xiaomi) from Europe.

My question is, are handsets sold with or without VAT?
    Also, are there any potential issues with purchasing from Europe?
    Originally posted by funkey_monkey
    Who is the retailer in Europe you are referring to? Be aware many HK sellers pretend to be in the U.K. or Europe but are actually in China or HK.
    ====
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 16th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    How are you going to deal with any issues arising after the sale? Are you prepared if necessary to deal with an overseas retailer?
    Originally posted by pmduk
    The reason for this is because it is a Xiaomi handset which is just over £100 for a very good spec. Reviews are very good.
    I had a Sony handset through EE. The screen came apart as the handset was overheating and the glue failed. As there was marks on it they refused to fix it and were looking to charge me £90 to get it fixed. I got it fixed in a local shop, but it didn't last.
    So, to get the handset fixed, was almost the price of this handset.

you cannot claim vat back when buying in EU
    I thought that was what Box 4 was for: Box 4 VAT reclaimed in the period on purchases and other inputs (including acquisitions from the EC).

Who is the retailer in Europe you are referring to? Be aware many HK sellers pretend to be in the U.K. or Europe but are actually in China or HK.
    I'm looking at a few who as you say ship from HK. However, I'm also looking at Honourbuy which have the handset in EU stock I'm also trying to source a UK seller.

I just was wondering if mobile phones have a VAT element to them as I've not purchased a handset outright before. It was always part of the contract.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    The reason for this is because it is a Xiaomi handset which is just over £100 for a very good spec. Reviews are very good.
    I had a Sony handset through EE. The screen came apart as the handset was overheating and the glue failed. As there was marks on it they refused to fix it and were looking to charge me £90 to get it fixed. I got it fixed in a local shop, but it didn't last.
    So, to get the handset fixed, was almost the price of this handset.

I thought that was what Box 4 was for: Box 4 VAT reclaimed in the period on purchases and other inputs (including acquisitions from the EC).

I'm looking at a few who as you say ship from HK. However, I'm also looking at Honourbuy which have the handset in EU stock I'm also trying to source a UK seller.

I just was wondering if mobile phones have a VAT element to them as I've not purchased a handset outright before. It was always part of the contract.
    Originally posted by funkey_monkey
    If you purchase from within the EU there is no further tax obligation as it will be taxed in the country of source.

If it is purchased outside the EU you are required to pay UK import tax (@20% on importation) irrespective of foreign taxes paid.
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

8,778Users online

Martin's Twitter