Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 8,170Posts
    • 5,300Thanks
    ManAtHome
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day 15th Sep 17 at 9:15 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert October 2017:

You might also like to read our Ryanair wrongly denies passenger compensation for cancelled flight news story

Back to ManAtHome's original forum post...

------

Just seen this on NewsNow

Ryanair is to cancel up to 50 flights a day for the next six weeks.
    The carrier says the cancellations up to the end of October are because of a backlog in the annual leave of staff.
    More details http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/--806174.html

and https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-flight-cancellations-what-you-need-to-know-1.3222837
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-10-2017 at 1:23 PM.
Page 8
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 3rd Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    Twopints
    Latest news for pilots at Ryanair:

Ryanair pilots being investigated by HMRC for using an employment structure that they had no choice but to use
    Not even wrong
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 3rd Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 7,032 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    buglawton
    Michael O'Leary can afford a smile on his face this morning.
    Monarch's collapse has taken the heat of the Ryanair story who in turn are benefiting for Monarch's woes.
    The company has also completed a long-planned buy-back of shares much earlier than scheduled having taken advantage in the fall in their share price.
    Which this morning is climbing back up again.
    Ker-ching !
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    Ironically Monarch has a separate, profitable company called IIRC Monarch Engineering, that Ryanair uses a lot for servicing!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

You might also like to read our Ryanair wrongly denies passenger compensation for cancelled flight news story
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 31st Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    To put things into perspective . Ryanair reckons cancelling 700,000 flights will cost them €25m.
    Today they announced annual profits of €1.3bn,up 11% on the previous year.
    Shares up 5% today.
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 31st Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    prenton01
    And things are back to normal
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 31st Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    Doc N
    Which rather proves the point, I suppose, that whatever Ryanair do, however they behave, whatever laws they disregard, however bad they might be, however bad the publicity, low prices will still win out and boost their profits.

I suspect they could even cut a few safety corners, crash the occasional plane and still get enough bookings to do well.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 31st Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Which rather proves the point, I suppose, that whatever Ryanair do, however they behave, whatever laws they disregard, however bad they might be, however bad the publicity, low prices will still win out and boost their profits.

I suspect they could even cut a few safety corners, crash the occasional plane and still get enough bookings to do well.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Mmm,pray tell us which laws Ryanair disregard ?
    And Ryanair's safety record is second to none.
    What they do offer is cheap on-time flights in good aircraft to destinations that most other airlines don't bother with.
    And they do it very successfully.
    An honorary knighthood for Michael O'Leary is the least this country can do in recognition of his success.
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 31st Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    Twopints
    They lie about what compensation is due under EU law until forced to do otherwise when threatened by the CAA
    Not even wrong
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 31st Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    Doc N

Already dealt with.

An honorary knighthood for Michael O'Leary is the least this country can do in recognition of his success.
    Like the knighthood given to BHS's Philip Green, perhaps?
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 31st Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    prenton01
    They lie about what compensation is due under EU law until forced to do otherwise when threatened by the CAA
    Originally posted by Twopints
    They didn't lie
    They just hadn't explained to customers about what compensation was due to them under EU regulations and putting the required information in small print
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 31st Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    Doc N
    They didn't lie
    They just hadn't explained to customers about what compensation was due to them under EU regulations and putting the required information in small print
    Originally posted by prenton01
    Incorrect - they gave false information and had to be brought to heel by the CAA.

The IAA seems content to let them get away with anything that they like - presumably because Ryanair's too big in Ireland to be controlled properly.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 31st Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Ganga
    I have never flown Ryanair but what i have noticed is the number of people who call the company and Mr O"Leary but still use them,wonder what would happen if they took their money and ran leaving one less budget airline.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 31st Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Incorrect - they gave false information and had to be brought to heel by the CAA.

The IAA seems content to let them get away with anything that they like - presumably because Ryanair's too big in Ireland to be controlled properly.
    So they didn't actually break any law as you claimed.
    Along with your insinuation that Ryanair skirt safety measures these are the usual whinges of the Ryanair begrudgers.
    Fact is old sport Ryanair is phenomenally successful,its passenger numbers are 11% up year on year and it has a staggering amount of cash in the bank.
    It seems it is very popular with everyone except those who can't follow clear booking instructions on its website.
    My latest FR sortie was last week and it involved flying to another country and back on the same day for lunch with old chums and it cost less than our first bottle of wine.
    Last edited by Tom The Great Sebastian; 31-10-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 31st Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Like the knighthood given to BHS's Philip Green, perhaps?
    Well as Michael O'Leary is an Irish citizen it would be an honorary knighthood.
    But as someone who employs thousands of UK staff and many more thousands in ancillary industries he has been extremely good for Britain.
    But I suspect nothing I suggest would assuage you of your outrage at once having to buy an on-board cheese and ham panini on a cheap as chips flight.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 31st Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Well as Michael O'Leary is an Irish citizen it would be an honorary knighthood.
    But as someone who employs thousands of UK staff and many more thousands in ancillary industries he has been extremely good for Britain.
    But I suspect nothing I suggest would assuage you of your outrage at once having to buy an on-board cheese and ham panini on a cheap as chips flight.
    Don't bite to them Tom - some either don't get (or choose to pick holes in) the fact that 100m+ people now fly with Ryanair to places that they either previously couldn't or at prices they previously couldn't. Other than some of the regulations it has to abide by it's no different from National Express/Megabus and any journeys booked with them need to be treated as such

Personally I'd look elsewhere for a family holiday or time critical experience but for a weekend away with Mrs K or a few days of downtime from a local airport they'll get my ££
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 31st Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,843 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Their employment procedures were ruled to be in violation of Danish law not too long ago which led to Ryanair closing down their bases in Denmark.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 1st Nov 17, 6:52 AM
    • 861 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Their employment procedures were ruled to be in violation of Danish law not too long ago which led to Ryanair closing down their bases in Denmark.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    Ryanair's " bases "in Denmark were in fact a single aircraft based in Copenhagen.
    Following a ruling in 2015 by the Danish Labour Court that local staff could take strike action and refuse to service the aircraft because Ryanair operates under Irish labour laws rather than local ones O'Leary pulled the aircraft from Copenhagen.
    After it was revealed that Ryanair had also decided to divert €400million in investment from Copenhagen to Lithuania local Danish unions begged O'Leary to change his mind.
    He wouldn't.
    Basically the Danish equivalent of the TUC decided to play hardball with O'Leary against the wishes of the 50 Ryanair staff employed locally who ended up losing out.
    Ryanair still flies all its routes into Denmark so no passengers lost out.
    I think that's what is known as a pyrrhic victory for the Danish trade unions ....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin