Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 8,170Posts
    • 5,300Thanks
    ManAtHome
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day 15th Sep 17 at 9:15 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert October 2017:

You might also like to read our Ryanair wrongly denies passenger compensation for cancelled flight news story

Back to ManAtHome's original forum post...

------

Just seen this on NewsNow

Ryanair is to cancel up to 50 flights a day for the next six weeks.
    The carrier says the cancellations up to the end of October are because of a backlog in the annual leave of staff.
    More details http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/--806174.html

and https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-flight-cancellations-what-you-need-to-know-1.3222837
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-10-2017 at 1:23 PM.
Page 7
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 27th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 3,312 Thanks
    gardner1
    "All of the passengers who have been affected by these disruptions have now been offered re-accommodation or full refunds and their applicable EU261 entitlements. In addition today, they are receiving a travel voucher (€40 one way/€80 return) which they may use to book any Ryanair flight of their choice during October for travel between October and March 2018. We look forward to welcoming them all on board."

the last sentence made me laugh.....hell would have to freeze over before i would take a flight with them
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 29th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    I have to admit I am starting to get slightly concerned now with all the media coverage, as I've heard people are being sent emails or texts the night before their flight. Our trip is so imminent and there's little we can do at this stage.

There are only two direct flights a week to our destination, both operated by Ryanair. The alternative is a flight 3 days later, (with Ryanair) or other airlines involving 2 or 3 stops and taking 24 hours for a flight which takes just over two hours, costing over £1.2k.

We are flying home from a different airport.

Not an ideal way to start a trip, wondering if it will be cancelled the night before and wondering if you will be able to get home, again.

Best not to watch the news, methinks..........

Thanks for the uncertainty, Ryanair
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 29-09-2017 at 8:19 AM.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • NFH
    • By NFH 29th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 4,308 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    NFH
    The CAA is taking enforcement action against Ryanair under Section 214 of the Enterprise Act 2002 for misleading passengers on cancelled flights about their rights under Article 8(1) of Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 to be rerouted on a rival airline at Ryanair's expense.

Regulation 5(4)(k) of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 prohibits misleading a consumer about "the consumer’s rights or the risks he may face". This is an offence under Regulation 9, punishable under Regulation 13 by a fine and/or up to two years' imprisonment. Can we look forward to O'Leary being given a prison sentence in view of Ryanair misleading passengers before enforcement action was taken?
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 29th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    prenton01
    I have flew with Ryanair over 20 times in last 5 years and not once had a problem or a horrible flight.

Yes i know they have well and truly ****** up this time but turns out works in my favour.

My hamburg flight cancelled going out so we change from Thurs to Fri Morning so losing half a day on our 4 day trip.
    They sent us vouchers totaling £160 in total and with them i have booked a week in Tenerife end of March for total cost of £4

Happy days
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 29th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 18,795 Posts
    • 43,281 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I have flew with Ryanair over 20 times in last 5 years and not once had a problem or a horrible flight.

Yes i know they have well and truly ****** up this time but turns out works in my favour.

My hamburg flight cancelled going out so we change from Thurs to Fri Morning so losing half a day on our 4 day trip.
    They sent us vouchers totaling £160 in total and with them i have booked a week in Tenerife end of March for total cost of £4

Happy days
    Originally posted by prenton01
    Well good for you.

However, thousands of others haven't been so lucky and thousands can't rely on such a shoddy service.

And lets hope your slot still exists by next year. There will be a lot of airports that have given Ryan Air favorable terms for their slots to bring customers in to their region. I think many will be thinking twice after this debacle.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 29th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    prenton01
    Well good for you.

However, thousands of others haven't been so lucky and thousands can't rely on such a shoddy service.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    And thousands have been lucky like me i bet

Give it 6 months Ryanair will be back to Normal no airport is going to want to lose the custom that Ryanair bring and no airline is going to offer such prices in such short notice.

Ryanair will have a massive seat sale on after xmas to attract customers back and it will work as to many people love a bargain
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 29th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Sicard
    And thousands have been lucky like me i bet

Give it 6 months Ryanair will be back to Normal no airport is going to want to lose the custom that Ryanair bring and no airline is going to offer such prices in such short notice.

Ryanair will have a massive seat sale on after xmas to attract customers back and it will work as to many people love a bargain

Do you work for Guinness?

Ryanair have until 5pm today to comply with the Civil Aviation Authority's terms on compensation of which they're trying to wriggle out of or they'll be in big trouble.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 29th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    prenton01
    Do you work for Guinness?

Ryanair have until 5pm today to comply with the Civil Aviation Authority's terms on compensation of which they're trying to wriggle out of or they'll be in big trouble.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    You know it's the truth though

Some people might resign but in 6 months most people will have forgot about this and 12 months all back to normal
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 6,415 Posts
    • 19,308 Thanks
    Doc N
    You know it's the truth though

Some people might resign but in 6 months most people will have forgot about this and 12 months all back to normal
    That's what Gerald Ratner thought and hoped after his infamous prawn sandwich comment.

But that was the end of Ratners, huge company that it was, selling at rock bottom prices.

Ryanair may yet go the same way.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 29th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    fredandwilma

And lets hope your slot still exists by next year. There will be a lot of airports that have given Ryan Air favorable terms for their slots to bring customers in to their region. I think many will be thinking twice after this debacle.
    Originally posted by peachyprice

Originally posted by Sicard
    That's what Gerald Ratner thought and hoped after his infamous prawn sandwich comment.

But that was the end of Ratners, huge company that it was, selling at rock bottom prices.

Ryanair may yet go the same way.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Ryanair have cornered a certain market here in the UK. They are the only airline to fly direct to our destination from the UK, so yes, they have brought custom and there is a call for customers to that destination. Apparently, the flight is always full.

The flight is frankly, irreplaceable logistically and i hope Ryanair have the sense to factor this into their cancellation schedule. They can only replace a Ryanair fight with another Ryanair flight, (without flying around the world twice or significant journeys overland).

I hope Ryanair doesn't go 'bump' (scuse the pun), however although it's possible, I would have thought it was unlikely?

I hope they don't, as our trip was planned almost a year ago, and there's no way you could predict what is happening at the moment.

Fortunately, we have pre booked accommodation with no pre payment or cancellation fees. At the moment, all we stand to lose is our trip.

At this point now, with all the media coverage, It's almost impossible not to be concerned if you are booked on a flight with them within the next week or few days?

People who have been given more notice time wise, do at least have the chance to re organise their holiday, even if inconvenienced.

Now we have to wait for a text or email the night before?
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 29-09-2017 at 5:51 PM.

Carpe diem
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 29th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    IAmWales
    To keep this in perspective, 97 out of 100 flights are operating as scheduled. Narrow that down to UK originating flights and the figure is closer to 99 out of 100.

But that makes a really boring headline and doesn't give people nearly as much to moan about. Have a great holiday fredandwilma
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 29th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    To keep this in perspective, 97 out of 100 flights are operating as scheduled. Narrow that down to UK originating flights and the figure is closer to 99 out of 100.

But that makes a really boring headline and doesn't give people nearly as much to moan about. Have a great holiday fredandwilma
    Originally posted by IAmWales

Thanks IAmWales.

I shall stop watching the news and start packing........

Not everyone who travels with Ryanair is going to Magaluf for a stag party.

Carpe diem
    • richardw
    • By richardw 29th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 18,349 Posts
    • 7,590 Thanks
    richardw
    To keep this in perspective, 97 out of 100 flights are operating as scheduled. Narrow that down to UK originating flights and the figure is closer to 99 out of 100...
    1 cancellation out of 100 is too many, because too many actual people are seriously affected by cancellations, there's no getting away from this.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 6,415 Posts
    • 19,308 Thanks
    Doc N

And to keep that in perspective:

"Mr O'Leary said around 400,000 passengers would be directly affected...."

And if O'Leary admits to 400,000 passengers, the true figure probably exceeds that.

400,000 passengers isn't exactly a tiny matter, is it? Particularly if you're one of them.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 29th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    And to keep that in perspective:

"Mr O'Leary said around 400,000 passengers would be directly affected...."

And if O'Leary admits to 400,000 passengers, the true figure probably exceeds that.

400,000 passengers isn't exactly a tiny matter, is it? Particularly if you're one of them.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    It is compared to the total number of pax they carry.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 6,415 Posts
    • 19,308 Thanks
    Doc N
    It is compared to the total number of pax they carry.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Of course - but 400,000 passengers is still 400,000 passengers, whatever % it is of the total.

A bit like saying that if a million people lost their electricity supply because of gross incompetence by the suppliers it wouldn't really matter because it's only 2% of the total population.
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 3rd Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 862 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Michael O'Leary can afford a smile on his face this morning.
    Monarch's collapse has taken the heat of the Ryanair story who in turn are benefiting for Monarch's woes.
    The company has also completed a long-planned buy-back of shares much earlier than scheduled having taken advantage in the fall in their share price.
    Which this morning is climbing back up again.
    Ker-ching !
    • Leothecat
    • By Leothecat 3rd Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 11,257 Thanks
    Leothecat
    Hi, can anyone clarify something?
    I'm on live chat now.....all Belfast - London flights cancelled for November.
    I've asked to be rebooked on an Easyjet flight but am being told I have to do this myself then claim for any extra charges retrospectively. The original flights were approx. £80, the Easyjet flights will be approx. £259. Ryanair are saying this is too much and they will only cover 3 x the original cost.
    I know its not much of a difference but I'd just like to know whats correct.
    Many thanks for any help.
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 3rd Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 862 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Latest news for investors from Ryanair.

Ryanair's traffic increased by 10pc in September despite airline cancelling thousands of flights
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 3rd Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 6,415 Posts
    • 19,308 Thanks
    Doc N
    Hi, can anyone clarify something?
    I'm on live chat now.....all Belfast - London flights cancelled for November.
    I've asked to be rebooked on an Easyjet flight but am being told I have to do this myself then claim for any extra charges retrospectively. The original flights were approx. £80, the Easyjet flights will be approx. £259. Ryanair are saying this is too much and they will only cover 3 x the original cost.
    I know its not much of a difference but I'd just like to know whats correct.
    Many thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by Leothecat
    https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Cancellations/Short-haul-cancellations/

The above might help. In theory Ryanair should pay for your flights, but getting the money out of them will almost certainly be difficult. If they'll agree to pay £240 now (which I doubt) I'd take on the basis that a bird in the hand etc etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,923Posts Today

7,685Users online

Martin's Twitter