Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 8,168Posts
    • 5,300Thanks
    ManAtHome
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day 15th Sep 17 at 9:15 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert October 2017:

You might also like to read our Ryanair wrongly denies passenger compensation for cancelled flight news story

Back to ManAtHome's original forum post...

------

Just seen this on NewsNow

Ryanair is to cancel up to 50 flights a day for the next six weeks.
    The carrier says the cancellations up to the end of October are because of a backlog in the annual leave of staff.
    More details http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/--806174.html

and https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-flight-cancellations-what-you-need-to-know-1.3222837
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-10-2017 at 1:23 PM.
Page 2
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 16th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Well I have seen, heard & read some unbelievable cr*p from Ryanair over the years but this just about beats it all hands down.
    • korky69
    • By korky69 16th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    korky69
    Where does the danger come from?
    Originally posted by Ganga
    err, no or little cash and no credit cards and stranded in a foreign country!
    not everyone carries them so yes , maybe just maybe this can be dangerous when ryanair don't usually look after people
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4,749 Posts
    • 3,875 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    err, no or little cash and no credit cards and stranded in a foreign country!
    not everyone carries them so yes , maybe just maybe this can be dangerous when ryanair don't usually look after people
    Originally posted by korky69
    Anyone who goes abroad without a credit card or source of emergency cash is just asking for trouble - especially when flying on a budget carrier. Travel insurance doesn't cover everything and even if it is the policy then it won't pay out immediately.

Calling your situation "Stranded" is also a bit of an overdramatisation when you get to spend some extra time in the holiday destination of your choice.
    • SkintGit
    • By SkintGit 16th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SkintGit
    My local bus company is only running one route per week
    Ditto the trains.
    Ditto the taxis.

All to acheive running near 100% to timetables.

Am I making this up? No just following the Ryan Air example
    • korky69
    • By korky69 16th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    korky69
    Anyone who goes abroad without a credit card or source of emergency cash is just asking for trouble - especially when flying on a budget carrier. Travel insurance doesn't cover everything and even if it is the policy then it won't pay out immediately.

Calling your situation "Stranded" is also a bit of an overdramatisation when you get to spend some extra time in the holiday destination of your choice.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    sorry but i don't agree, yes i always take a credit card for emergencies but not all have them for whatever reasons so it is definitely a danger to those who don't, please don't patronise those in this situation, you are saying those who could have fallen into debt before and cannot get a credit card but now can afford a cheap break away aren't allowed?
    SHAME ON YOU
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6,387 Posts
    • 19,288 Thanks
    Doc N
    You genuinely think this bothers them ?
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    In a word - yes. Because it's hit the fan in a far bigger way than they expected it to.

Expect a retraction very soon as a damage limitation exercise.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 16th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 5,651 Posts
    • 3,615 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Ryanair - They are like an alcoholic who has been sober for a year and just went on a self destructive binge this last 4 months.
    They were doing so well with "Always Getting Better" policy. Its nuts
    • indian summer
    • By indian summer 16th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    indian summer
    Hopefully it wont affect our annual two week jollies to Fuerteventura.2 more sleeps for my dd who turned 4 today.

It does seem to be the shorter flights that are getting cancelled,although I cant stop checking my inbox even though I have notifications eek.

Managed to dodge the planned spanish airports aena strikes although my brother who is joining us is coming out on one of the planned days.

What with the air traffic in France business Im at my wits end.

On a lighter note the Euro has seen a nice jump so more sangria for me.

Adios amigos
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 16th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    buglawton
    Due the musical seats (pay the piper) policy Ryanair introduced over the last year I'd avoided using them, Flybe booked for upcoming trip, glad now.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 2,350 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Due the musical seats (pay the piper) policy Ryanair introduced over the last year I'd avoided using them, Flybe booked for upcoming trip, glad now.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Only works if you have a choice of airlines. Not always the case
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 16th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,718 Thanks
    bagand96
    They can't fill the planes, it's money saving.
    Originally posted by richardw
    You're on the right lines.... however there's 2 seats in particular that they are having trouble filling. And that is the real reason for this debacle. Not realigning holiday years or for punctuality.

And who in their right mind thought that announcing the cancellations are to "improve on time performance" was a good idea? Ryanair really do seem to have lost the plot this summer...
    • melb
    • By melb 17th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    I was wondering if I booked a Ryanair flight now for departure within the next 6 weeks, would they only be selling flights that were definitely going ahead or do they decide just a couple of days before which ones to cancel?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 10,692 Posts
    • 6,982 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I was wondering if I booked a Ryanair flight now for departure within the next 6 weeks, would they only be selling flights that were definitely going ahead or do they decide just a couple of days before which ones to cancel?
    Originally posted by melb
    Depends how much you trust them, which for many isn't very much.

The anecdotal evidence here is that they are potentially cancelling flights at a few days notice where it's uneconomic for them to operate them, in which case they'll steel tickets up to the departure date, and the number and rate of sales may well influence which they cancel.
    • melb
    • By melb 17th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    thanks for that - but it would be completely unethical to put flights on sale now and then cancel them later surely? As opposed to cancelling flights booked months ago when they apparently didn't plan ahead to manage staff holidays (!) Of course we all know it's a cynical attempt to save money by cancelling flights which aren't full - they have done it in the past under the guise of weather conditions etc, but i would have thought legally they would be on a sticky wicket if, after announcing these cancellatinos, they were still selling flights which were later cancelled. We shall see ...
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 6,387 Posts
    • 19,288 Thanks
    Doc N
    thanks for that - but it would be completely unethical to put flights on sale now and then cancel them later surely? As opposed to cancelling flights booked months ago when they apparently didn't plan ahead to manage staff holidays (!) Of course we all know it's a cynical attempt to save money by cancelling flights which aren't full - they have done it in the past under the guise of weather conditions etc, but i would have thought legally they would be on a sticky wicket if, after announcing these cancellatinos, they were still selling flights which were later cancelled. We shall see ...
    Originally posted by melb
    Ethics and morals are irrelevant when it comes to Ryanair - and they also seem to think they can ignore the law too. And it's not UK law you're dealing with most of the time, either.

I wouldn't trust them an inch not to cancel flights on sale now, and their small print enables them to do just that if it suits them to.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 17th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,374 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I love Ryanair. They've enabled me to live abroad and get home for visits for next to no money. They've allowed me to have cheap holidays all over Europe.

I learnt long ago to think of them as a bus service rather than an airline. I don't pay for any extras (OH and I have never had to sit separately, but we'd cope if we had to). I always said, when we were living in recession-hit Ireland in 2008, that if any company survived it would be Ryanair. I loved their trick of extending their flight times so that more flights would be on time (genius - flight takes an hour, so Ryanair schedule it for an hour and a quarter, you know what time it's due in so work accordingly, and often enough your flight gets in early, which is a bonus - and that 15 minutes mops up a lot of the flights that might otherwise have been classed as late).

But this? Everyone has their breaking point. Unfortunately I have flights booked for mid-October.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 17th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    buglawton
    A new option has appeared during the Ryanair booking steps: Tick this box to guarantee your flight will actually happen. Oh that costs extra... in fact it brings the ticket price up to that of major competitors.

(Only joking)
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,345 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    'Effin ridiculous!!! I've vowed never to use Ryanair in the past, mainly because they have so much bad press but also because their CEO is a prize %*#@... I did however succumb recently and it was ok but my flight was loaded up with so many extras it turned into a false economy.

I'm flying to London next Monday, as usual for work, only this time I've decided to take the family with me. £119 for for of us to Stansted, nice!
    Originally posted by Dangerous78
    Some "vow". First sign of a cheap ticket and your principles go out the window. You are one of thousands of reasons why Ryanair's model works.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 17th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ganga
    sorry but i don't agree, yes i always take a credit card for emergencies but not all have them for whatever reasons so it is definitely a danger to those who don't, please don't patronise those in this situation, you are saying those who could have fallen into debt before and cannot get a credit card but now can afford a cheap break away aren't allowed?
    SHAME ON YOU
    Originally posted by korky69
    But even people who cannot get a credit card must have a debit/bank card to purchase tickets on line.
    No body with any sense goes abroad without some sort of financial backup.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 16,981 Posts
    • 101,569 Thanks
    maman
    I've got Ryanair flights booked for November. It's the first time and part of a holiday I've booked so not my choice as such. It's not a package as such (flights, train and hotels separately) so I wouldn't necessarily be covered for cancellation of the whole holiday.

I thought I'd give it a couple of weeks to see how things go and then contact the company to ask what if. I suppose they'll be really busy this week with people travelling sooner.

Any views/advice?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,203Posts Today

7,407Users online

Martin's Twitter