Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 70Thanks
    justwondering25
    £100 MET parking charge services , do they follow up on there threat or one to ignore
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    £100 MET parking charge services , do they follow up on there threat or one to ignore 15th Sep 17 at 7:47 PM
    I have just come home to a car parking fine by a company called " MET parking services" basically I stayed longer than 4 hours at my gym , which I pay a monthly fee to use !!!

Yes there are signs in the card park etc , but should I be worried , I will speak to the manager of the gym in the next few days.
    But is MET parking services , one to just ignore their letters demanding money for the fine or should I be a bit more worried and pay it ?
    I over stayed by 68 minutes , which considering I am a member of the gym is a bit of shame to be charged £100 !!
    !!!!! Lifes wonderful !!!!!
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 19,579 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    deffo complain to the gym to get it cancelled

and DO NOT IGNORE , DO NOT INDICATE WHO WAS DRIVING EITHER

please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread at the top if this forum and follow the advice in it
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    Is refusing to name the driver a loop hole ?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 19,579 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    it may well be , depending if the parking fools followed POFA2012 (or especially if they failed to follow POFA2012)

its a 5 year old law now, so read up on it

and alter post #1 too

no "ME , MYSELF or I"

THE DRIVER may have overstayed etc

as keeper, at the moment you are dealing with the aftermath

The PPC has NO IDEA who was driving , so keep it that way (or do you think they dont read this forum ?)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    I shall do , I must admit it has been a long day , made even longer by coming home to a letter demanding £100.00 .

I shall speak with the gym tomorrow and fingers crossed they can have it removed , If not I shall use the templates as shown in the newbie thread.

I had a quick read of the 1st one , looks good

I presume if I appeal the decision at no point can they raise their demands to a higher value ? If so I guess there is no harm in trying to prolong it for as long as possible.

!!!!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    I presume if I appeal the decision at no point can they raise their demands to a higher value ? If so I guess there is no harm in trying to prolong it for as long as possible.

!!!!
    Originally posted by justwondering25
    Of course they'll raise their demands, but as you are not intending to pay anything it doesn't matter whether they demand £50 or £50,000, does it?
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    I do not intend to pay, but also if there charge is enforceable and they send in the debt collectors the sum does matter.

How can they raise the amount during the appeal process?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    ...if there charge is enforceable ...
    That's the key bit.

How can they raise the amount during the appeal process?
    If they were a legitimate, honest, law-abiding business then they wouldn't do that, but...
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    Is there any posts that show if MET parking are toothless tigers, stating they do not tend to following through with there threats.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    KeithP
    Is there any posts that show if MET parking are toothless tigers, stating they do not tend to following through with there threats.
    Yes, the aforementioned Newbies thread.

In post#3 it says:
    Firstly, most PPCs never sue anyone.

You can check for yourself by Googling 'BMPA Insight' and the name of any parking firm...court numbers and advice tailored to each company. You can see how likely it is, or not. We get people worried about small fry firms who wouldn't know court process if it hit them in the face! So check them out as per the BMPA Insight pages.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 19,579 Thanks
    Redx
    check the BMPA zendesk to see what they do about small claims court

no "debt collectors" are going to come to your house, that is a false assumption by you. no debt collectors or bailiffs can come to your house UNLESS they have a court order to wave under your nose

this is nowhere near court , plus if you lost in court the judgment could be up to say £175 and you should pay that promptly, certainly within 28 days so no CCJ is issued and so no bailiffs can "come around"

seems to me you have skim read the NEWBIES sticky thread and ignored most of the advice and words, please read it again, over and over until you understand the situation
    check your facts , at the moment you seem to have watched too many DCBL programmes on tv, but even they have court orders, usually when escalated to the high court because the amount exceeds £600 - yours cannot rise to more than a couple of hundred, and you may win and cost them money
    Newbies !!
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    Thank you for all the excellent advice.

I have checked there records over at

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

It appears they do not take people to court... Am I correct in my reading of the information over at BMPA?

Would I be just as well to say no letters have ever arrived?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    KeithP
    Thank you for all the excellent advice.

I have checked there records over at

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

It appears they do not take people to court... Am I correct in my reading of the information over at BMPA?

Of course that website cannot predict the future. If they become more confident, they have up to six years to start court action.

It must be a better idea to kill off that possibility now, surely?
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    Indeed, agreed, I shall call the manager of the gym tomorrow.

Could the company keep on adding to the fine and adding to the fine every letter they send? Or is there a max limit?
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    If taken to court, as detailed In the reply above , let's say it was £175, can MET also bill me for legal costs?

Or is a couple of hundred pounds about the top and bottom of it?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 19,579 Thanks
    Redx
    1) It appears they do not take people to court... Am I correct in my reading of the information over at BMPA?

2) Would I be just as well to say no letters have ever arrived?
    1) past performance does not guarantee that they wont try it over the next 6 years, others have done so so dont assume it wont happen

2) NO, because letters are deemed in law to have "arrived" 2 days after posting , so all they have to demonstrate is that they sent them. the PO offer a free certificate of posting service and business mail is franked accordingly so you wont get away with that excuse , not in a court of law

with DCA charges it may get to say £160 but again its just a figure on paper

should MET try a court case they may try to inflate it up to say £200 to £300 but as its small claims court you can object and a judge might award the original £100 plus court filing fees etc of maybe another £75 , hence a typical loss "could be" about £175

its called "small claims court" for a reason, the PPC cannot bump it up to £500 or £5000 and get away with it , not as long as you contest it and defend yourself

best way to get rid is a cancellation by the gym , asap

but make sure it has also been appealed within the 28 days allowed from the date on the NTK, do not let it "time out"
    Newbies !!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 49,978 Posts
    • 63,380 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    How has this thread got so long, about a bog standard MET PCN at appeal stage? Not sure what you mean by ''send in the debt collectors'' that made me chuckle. What, send some letters?! You are overthinking the entire scam.

It's only MET, and all you need to do is complain, and send the template appeal.

The POFA Schedule 4 is linked in the NEWBIES first post, and it sets out how much can be recovered, as does the BPA Code of Practice. Easy to find out that the sum stays at £100 during appeal.

You are at the stage where these are easy to get cancelled by complaint, as the NEWBIES thread says is the first step.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 14,525 Posts
    • 22,855 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Have they never arrived? If they have, then do not lie. If it ever got to a court stage - you'd be dealing with a much bigger issue than a £100 parking charge notice! Contempt of court, or perverting the course of justice - take your pick.

None of us here would ever suggest stooping to the level of the private parking skimdustry.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    Indeed, I shall make a threat to cancel my gym membership.

It is totally out of order, I have asked staff at the gym before why is there a 4 hour max stay, they say it is because of offices in the same complex have used the gym car park as a overflow car park.... But since when did that become my problem and why doesn't the gym have a member of staff stopping people at the car park entrance and asking to see people's membership card.

There is a computer at the gym that you can enter your car reg into if you think you will be staying longer than 4 hours

So other than a threat to cancel my membership, they have covered all excuse bases..
    • justwondering25
    • By justwondering25 15th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    justwondering25
    Thank you all for wonderfully helpful replies, I shall call the gym manager tomorrow and if no joy I shall complain using advice as detailed in the newbie thread.

I thought though, that due to the car park been free for members, then the maximum they can claim is zero, due to no real loss as the car park fee is zero?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,337Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin