Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Microhead
    • By Microhead 15th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Microhead
    Problem with neighbours tree and pests
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    Problem with neighbours tree and pests 15th Sep 17 at 6:07 PM
    Hi all

Not sure if I have posted this on the correct forum but here goes.

I own my home and have a neighbour who privately rents.
    She has a tree in her garden that is completely overgrown and hangs over into my side of the boundary. In addition to this, a swarm of wasps are very interested in this tree to the point that I would say there are around 50 at least. This is the 2nd summer in a row.
    This is preventing me and my gf from being able to do any gardening or sitting on this side.
    I have spoken to the tenant numerous times about this and she has seen them for herself. She has apologised and has apparently tried to get hold of her landlord in sorting my problem. I don't think I've seen the landlord do anything to the place in general.
    Is there anyway I can take this further (seek legal advice?) as it is disrupting our way of life in our own garden?

Thanks
Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    I don't think I've seen the landlord do anything to the place in general.
    Is there anyway I can take this further (seek legal advice?) as it is disrupting our way of life in our own garden?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Microhead
    You have a right to cut over hanging branches, but if you have a word with the landlord he could allow you to do more.
    Employing someone to give the tree a good trim, could be cheaper than the legal route.

• Microhead
    • By Microhead 15th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Microhead
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    It's the wasp issue that's bugging me more as this is proving more disruptive to us. I have previously cut branches back to the boundary line but I shouldn't have to do this in my time etc.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    It's the wasp issue that's bugging me more as this is proving more disruptive to us. I have previously cut branches back to the boundary line but I shouldn't have to do this in my time etc.
    That is how it works, many people like trees. Wildlife is good too, but if your neighbour does not like them too, he/she may allow you to pay for their extermination.
    Wasps are often found in sheltered spots with easy access to the outside. You can often find wasp nests in wall cavities, roof spaces, under eaves, in bird boxes, sheds or garages.

Could they be bees?

• Microhead
    • By Microhead 15th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Microhead
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    Definitely not bees.
    The tenant doesn't even want the tree in their garden!!!
    Surely if this is disrupting my way of life, there's something you can try and do about it?
    I'm almost certain the landlord won't do anything about it.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 28,226 Posts
    • 71,813 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    Surely if this is disrupting my way of life, there's something you can try and do about it?
    You can cut back to the boundary.

You can offer to pay for it to be taken down.

You can't force someone else to make changes to their garden.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 23,124 Posts
    • 88,472 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    Legally, you can do nothing to force your neighbour or their landlord to act, so that route is closed.

There is the possibility that you could pay to have the tree taken down, but before considering that it might be sensible to decide why the wasps have congregated around it. If it has a hollow section it might have become a nest site, but not two years in a row, unless there are several hollows. Wasps don't return to old nests.

There's also a chance that a nest has been made in the branches, but in that case you ought to be able to see it. Again, two years running in the same tree would be unusual.

So, there may not be a nest in the tree, in which case something else must be attracting the wasps that will continue attracting them in future. In that case, the tree will be worth removing.

One thing that attracts wasps outside the fruit season is aphids. These exist in large numbers on some types of tree all through summer. It's therefore worth identifying the type of tree to determine if this is the likely cause.

At present it's just 'a tree......'
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 15th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    One thing that attracts wasps outside the fruit season is aphids. These exist in large numbers on some types of tree all through summer. It's therefore worth identifying the type of tree to determine if this is the likely cause.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Unless it is a fruit tree (e.g. apple or plum) then it will be as Davesnave suggests. The wasps will be more interested in munching aphids than having anything to do with you.

Cutting back the branches on your side of the fence will only move the 'problem' a few feet away.

If the neighbouring landlord won't remove the tree following a polite request then you have two options:
    1) Embark on an expensive and likely fruitless (no pun intended) legal fight to try to force them to remove the tree.
    2) Enjoy nature at its finest for the few weeks until the cold kills the wasps off naturally (or they find tastier aphids/fruit elsewhere).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    or just hang up some wasp catchers......
    Plastic bottles, small hole cut in the side near top, fill bottom couple of inches with jam, old beer, ripe fruit, juice etc. anything that attracts wasps and top up to a few inches with water (if required). Trap the wasps for the whole summer.....
    ......if you are a gardener wonder why you have so many aphids
    • J B
    • By J B 15th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    J B
    I'm a landlord.
    Our tenants have a standard AST contract, which puts the obligation on *them* to maintain the garden.

Is it anything to do with the landlord?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 15th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Our tenants have a standard AST contract, which puts the obligation on *them* to maintain the garden.
    Originally posted by J B
    Unless specified otherwise I think 'maintaining' the garden would be limited to cutting the grass and hedges, weeding, and generally keeping the garden tidy. Removing an entire tree seems a bit outside the scope of maintenance.

In fact if I were a landlord I'd be rather miffed to find a tenant had removed a tree without consulting me first - bearing in mind the tree may be adding value to my property. I'd also hesitate to allow them to remove it even with permission given the potential for the felling of the tree to cause damage to my (and the neighbours) property.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 23,124 Posts
    • 88,472 Thanks
    Davesnave
    ......if you are a gardener wonder why you have so many aphids
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    To be fair, OP didn't claim to be a gardener.

I'm a gardener in the sense that I've made a living from growing plants. While I've hardly seen a wasp this year, it's had nothing to do with my skills, or lack of them.

From what I can gather, speaking with other keen gardeners who have an acre less than a mile away, insects are much more localised than I thought. They have seen hardly any butterflies, while I have had literally dozens visiting on any sunny day this summer.

I undersrtand why people don't like wasps. However, most will deliberately leave humans alone until fruit-drunk at the end of the summer. Even then, many are non-aggressive, as there are different species. None of those I've had nesting here in previous years has given me any bother at all.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 16th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Tenants are not normally required or allowed to do any work on trees.

If a neighbour asked me to cut down a tree in my garden I'd make sure I NEVER cut it down.

Best option is to live with the wasps. They really are no big deal. Short term and they aren't out for blood.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 16th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    Jonesya
    I'm a landlord.

Is it anything to do with the landlord?
    Originally posted by J B
    And this is exactly the OP's problem - landlords which try to brush off their responsibilities.

A big tree takes years to grow, is a major part of the property and can be costly to get pruned and cut back.

Why would a tenant on a AST, who may only be there for a year or two, spend out lots of money getting a tree surgeon or contractor in to manage your tree - given that was there when they arrived, and they'll only be there a year or two?

They won't, so it'll continue growing until it becomes a nuisance.

Landlords have got to be realistic - by all means expect a tenant to do basic maintenance, like keeping it tidy, cutting the lawn, bit of weeding. But expecting them to pay out for tree surgeons or contract gardeners for maintaining the landlord's tree is unrealistic, rather naive really.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 16th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4,548 Posts
    • 4,848 Thanks
    societys child
    Disrupting your life? I find if I don't annoy the wasps, they don't annoy me.

• Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    It's too late for this year, but next Spring hang a false wasp's nest in your overhanging branches.

Apparently when the Queen wasp goes house-hunting she will assume that someone else has beaten her to it and move on to another location.

Hmm - perhaps you'd better get two - one for your own garden as well!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    another casualty
    Is it possible to get pest control to locate where the wasps are and remove them from the tree? There's probably a couple of nests up there and if removed then the tree would no longer be a problem .
    Then the treee could be pruned from your side of the garden possibly

Just a thought
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 18th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Is it possible to get pest control to locate where the wasps are and remove them from the tree? There's probably a couple of nests up there and if removed then the tree would no longer be a problem .
    Then the treee could be pruned from your side of the garden possibly

Just a thought
    Originally posted by another casualty
    It's unlikely for there to be more than one nest in the tree, and at this time of year, it is a waste of time and effort to get pest control out, when the first frosts cannot be far off. I would also imagine that the OP's use of the outdoor space is probably also tailing off for the season.

I had a wasp's nest earlier in the year, in one of my bird houses by the front door. Simply misting it with water night and morning for a week or so, saw it weaken and die off, with no risk, no collateral damage and no dramas.
    • Microhead
    • By Microhead 20th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Microhead
    Had someone from pest control out last summer to find out if there was a wasps nest in my side of the garden. He couldn't find anything, but was almost certain they had settled/coming from next door, but obviously couldn't do anything to help me out.
    • Microhead
    • By Microhead 20th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Microhead
    I'm not asking for the tree to be totally cut down, but just to be cut/pruned back (A LOT!!), as the tallness of the branches not only overhang into my side of the garden, they now cut out light to the garden!!
    I can understand from the Tenant's perspective about not wanting to do anything about it themselves, but I don't know what agreement the tenant and landlord have between them. Either way, the garden is definitely not being looked after in general!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

5,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin