Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moromir
    • By moromir 15th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,823Posts
    • 5,010Thanks
    moromir
    BT Wholesale charge?
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    BT Wholesale charge? 15th Sep 17 at 5:59 PM
    Hi all

I've just called BT to find out how to give notice as my BT Infinity 1 package has just expired and they want to charge me something like £47.99 per month going forward.

They didn't offer anything other than the standard offer price of £36.99 so I explained I was looking to cancel as Virgin Media offer a £27.00 package that would suit us.

Then BT started talking about a £31.00 "wholesale charge" - I couldn't really get a straight answer as to what this was I was told it was for "removing equipment from the exchange".

This seems ludicrous and almost a penalty for leaving? Can they do this?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 17,336 Posts
    • 11,519 Thanks
    molerat
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    Yes they can do it, it is a legitimate charge. It is a "cease charge" for cancelling the service, as they stated, for disconnecting your line from the exchange. If you migrate your service to another provider there will generally be no charge but by moving to Virgin you will no longer be using the BT equipment and it has to be disconnected. Maybe Virgin will pay the charge.
    Last edited by molerat; 15-09-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 15th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    DUTR
    Can they do what? Nobody said they were charging you anything for leaving, I guess you will have to try one of the other providers to see how / if they differ, when I was with Virgin the price was increasing twice a year, October and February, I find with BB there is a headline price but on average the user will pay around £30pm irrespective of who they go with.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 2,441 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    Move to Vodafone. It's cheaper and cease charge unlikely to apply
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,575Posts Today

9,799Users online

Martin's Twitter