Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 15th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 7,232Posts
    • 10,693Thanks
    surfsister
    query re: masters grade -referred on a small part so mark set at a Pass
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    query re: masters grade -referred on a small part so mark set at a Pass 15th Sep 17 at 5:40 PM
    just wondered if this is usual. Just finished my Masters and got the overall grade which was a pass as I had a referral on a presentation so the overall grade can only be a pass. This seems a bit unfair. Anyone know if it is usual?

If I had realised I wouldn't have wasted so much effort!
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 15th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    You'd need to check your university regulations. It's not unusual for any failed module/ referral to be capped at the minimum pass mark unless there are mitigating circumstances. It's less usual for the overall mark to be capped, but if that's what the regulations state then so be it. You can appeal but that would need to be on the rules being misapplied, not that you disagree with them.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 15th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 7,232 Posts
    • 10,693 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    thanks for the comments. yes it's in the regulations sent with the marks! not amused as I had merits and distinctions for many modules but due to one referral on a small part the overall Masters can only be a pass. Seems unfair to me but no point complaining but it made me feel better!!
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 18th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 11,647 Posts
    • 7,895 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 18th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    Choose your referee carefully: someone whom you can rely on to emphasise the merits and distinctions. And do not say anything about the grade on applications, so that they will have to take up references in order to find out.

Oh: did you get a separate grade for the dissertation? If that was a good one, perhaps use that.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 18th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 7,232 Posts
    • 10,693 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 18th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    thanks voyager! yes i got a good grade for the dissertation and several modules just got referred on a small presentation and that was that. I didn't realise until I received the overall mark and queried it - as did several others!! Assume they keep it quiet to stop people changing unis if they get referred- as it's not normal procedure!!

Yes will emphasise the dissertation then - just not that happy!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,205Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter