Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Christine Whitlow
    • By Christine Whitlow 15th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Christine Whitlow
    PPI Claim from DFS
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    PPI Claim from DFS 15th Sep 17 at 4:59 PM
    Hi all,

Around 3 months ago I noticed on an old DFS statement that I was paying for PPI across a product I had. At the time of taking out the loan to pay for the product I was never told I would pay for PPI. Therefore I decided to use the online service resolver to try and claim from DFS.

Fast forward 2 months, and DFS still hadn't replied, therefore I escalated the case to the financial ombudsman service. They prompted DFS to send a letter of which today it arrived. DFS stated that they had extensive training programmes in place to ensure that a customer had the choice to pay for PPI or not. However it would seem that this must be false in order for me not to know that I was paying for PPI.

DFS have requested that in order for them to look into the claim further, I must provide them with a finance agreement and a demands and needs statement, but I do not have this.

Therefore my questions to the MSE community are:

What should I reply with ?
    Has anyone successfully claimed off of DFS before ?
    Is it likely that without the documents they have asked for I am able to receive a successful claim ?

Hope anyone can help.
    Thanks
    Christine
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 7,334 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    You have a staement, send them a copy of it.
    When was this sold to you?
    • Christine Whitlow
    • By Christine Whitlow 15th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Christine Whitlow
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    I will do.
    It was sold to me in 2009
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 13,003 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    Used to work for DFS and the script goes - "all the figures I am about to quote you are interest free but they do include an element of payment protection insurance, now can you afford X amount a Month?"
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Christine Whitlow
    • By Christine Whitlow 15th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Christine Whitlow
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    That may be true in your instance, however I have no recollection of anyone saying that to me. There was no mention of PPI
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4,533 Posts
    • 4,825 Thanks
    societys child
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    Memories fade, it's now 8 years later.

• McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 35,518 Posts
    • 45,710 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    Its not a claim, it is a complaint of miss selling but you have to have some proof to back up this complaint.

If they have no papers and you havent any proof it looks like its going no where
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • takman
    • By takman 16th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    takman
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    Hi all,

Around 3 months ago I noticed on an old DFS statement that I was paying for PPI across a product I had. At the time of taking out the loan to pay for the product I was never told I would pay for PPI. Therefore I decided to use the online service resolver to try and claim from DFS.

Fast forward 2 months, and DFS still hadn't replied, therefore I escalated the case to the financial ombudsman service. They prompted DFS to send a letter of which today it arrived. DFS stated that they had extensive training programmes in place to ensure that a customer had the choice to pay for PPI or not. However it would seem that this must be false in order for me not to know that I was paying for PPI.

DFS have requested that in order for them to look into the claim further, I must provide them with a finance agreement and a demands and needs statement, but I do not have this.

Therefore my questions to the MSE community are:

What should I reply with ?
    Has anyone successfully claimed off of DFS before ?
    Is it likely that without the documents they have asked for I am able to receive a successful claim ?

Hope anyone can help.
    Thanks
    Christine
    Originally posted by Christine Whitlow
    If they statement clearly shows you were paying PPI then you should have read it at the time then you would have known you were paying PPI!. To say you dodnt know you had it and then produce a statement from the time showing you were paying it just makes you look silly.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    • 19,248 Posts
    • 9,362 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    I noticed on an old DFS statement that I was paying for PPI across a product I had. At the time of taking out the loan to pay for the product I was never told I would pay for PPI.
    Your allegation of wrong doing seems to be self defeating. All you appear to be complaining about is that you didn't read your statements (for eight years!) and have forgotten signing the paperwork agreeing to the PPI in 2009.

Your complaint is one of the weakest you can make because you can provide no evidence that you were not told of the PPI.

The only evidence you do have indicates that you would indeed have been reminded about the PPI every month for each of the years you paid it!

So I can't see you progressing very far with this one...
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 7,334 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    -taff
    If you paid a single upfront premium for the insurance, then go ahead with your complaint Send your statement copy because it's proof you paid it and the acount number will be on there
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 16th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Vectis
    ...There was no mention of PPI

But it was on your statements, you said so yourself.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 19,248 Posts
    • 9,362 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If you paid a single upfront premium for the insurance, then go ahead with your complaint
    Originally posted by -taff
    Single Premium wouldn't appear on monthly statements
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin