Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dawn248
    • By Dawn248 15th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Dawn248
    Well I paid peanuts....and live to regret it! Help?
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    Well I paid peanuts....and live to regret it! Help? 15th Sep 17 at 4:44 PM
    Well, I'm a single mum with little money and no DIY expertise so I got a man in to do some jobs in my new flat and he has probably done a worse job than I would have done! He was the cheapest but had 40 great reviews online so I thought 'why pay more' and took him on.
    I asked him to fit a shelf in the airing cupboard- the result is wonky and made of hardwood, rather than the slatted kind of shelf you would expect.
    He had four curtain poles to put up and now I notice he's put the brackets too far in so the curtains will block light when they're open. A couple of them aren't even straight. I could have measured this myself, it's not hard.
    Worse of all, I asked him to hang a small mirror in my daughter's room. He drilled into the wall and hit metal. The drill has gone through the metal and now I'm scared there may be electrical work inside-the other side of the wall is my bathroom wall holding the heated towel rail. The mirror is set higher than the towel rail so hopefully it's OK. His excuse here was, he didn't have his scanner with him!
    I could have bought a scanner to check the walls myself but thought it was a better idea to pay a 'professional'!
    Now I have unsightly holes behind the mirror through which I can see metal. He 'reassured' me it was safe by saying "if I had hit electricity I would have gone through the window". I am not reassured by this weirdly.
    I explained the point of me paying someone was so they would check before drilling into the wall. I could have done this crap a job myself. He said it's fine and wouldn't take a reduction in price. I paid him just to get rid of him but I am worried about any possible safety issues.
    I'm getting a large mirror delivered soon and will get another person in to fit it, correct all the curtain poles and look at the holes in the wall.
    I paid him because I wanted him to leave but am gutted at the awful work. The flat is a conversion in a 1930's building (we had a long conversation about why he assumed there wouldn't be metal in the walls).
    Please can anyone shed any light on the safety issues (without scaremongering please because I am already freaking out). Thanks.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 7,468 Posts
    • 7,853 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    1930s building may well have had metal conduit for the original electric wiring (and the conduits might have been reused for new wiring, or may now be redundant)

Steel conduit is pretty tough and being scraped by a drill won't do it any harm. If he's gone through it through it's probably redundant, as drilling through live electrics would have fizzed a bit.

Conduits will usually run vertically or horizontally from electrical accessories, but that's not always the case, particularly if the property has been altered considerably over time.

The only way really is to expose a bit more of the metal and see what it actually is and where it goes to ...
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 4,945 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    I asked him to fit a shelf in the airing cupboard- the result is wonky and made of hardwood, rather than the slatted kind of shelf you would expect.
    He had four curtain poles to put up and now I notice he's put the brackets too far in so the curtains will block light when they're open.
    Originally posted by Dawn248
    There are a lot of very nice hardwoods. Did you ask for a slatted shelf or suggest what you were expecting?

Did you explain where you wanted the brackets? He may have been trying to avoid the gap between the lintle and the brickwork.

Has he hit metal or wires? If he hit live wires its likely the fuse would have tripped.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    If the wall sounds hollow when tapped, it is likely to be a stud wall - If this was put up when the conversion was done, it is quite possible that the metal that was "hit" is just supports for the plasterboard. If this is the case, the metal will only be 12mm or so from the surface and nothing to worry about.

Alternatively, if it is a wood with plaster & lath stud wall, it could be he hit a large nail that was used to fix the timbers in place. Again, nothing to worry about.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    Whatever happened to 'odd job men'? I mean people who could turn their hand to pretty much anything and do a competent job. When my parents moved into their current house in 1971 there were lots and lots of jobs that needed doing - a door that needed fitting, new curtain rails, a dripping tap, new glass in a window, tree roots removed etc etc etc. They had a guy who came off and on for about 6 weeks - almost became part of the family!! There was nothing he couldn't do.

When I moved into my current house 4 years ago, I also had lots of jobs that needed doing - I never managed to find anyone who could just come and sort things out for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter