Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 15th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 540Posts
    • 1,640Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Shares held by deceased - what happens?
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    Shares held by deceased - what happens? 15th Sep 17 at 4:43 PM
    Not sure if this is in the right place so please move if not.

My mum died 9 years ago and didn't leave a will. At the time I was ill myself but did what I could to sort her affairs, arrange the funeral etc.

Anyway, it now transpires that she had shares for many years. No one has the certificates and we're not really sure what she had.

Is there anyway to find out even though it's a long time ago?

Thanks

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £160/£160
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 38/84 NSD ~ 16/18
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 7,541 Posts
    • 8,008 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    After 9 years it will be difficult to trace. You could try
    (a) going through old bank statements, paying in books etc and looking for dividends being paid in
    (b) if you think they were in major companies (eg 1980s privatisations) contact the Registrar for each company (usually on the companies' websites under Corporate or Investor information)
    (c) her bank may have acted as stockbroker, but after 9 years+ it's unlikely they still have any share dealing records. Of course they might have held the certificates in safe deposit. Or check old chequebooks for payments to stockbrokers etc.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 15th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    Anyway, it now transpires that she had shares for many years. No one has the certificates and we're not really sure what she had.
    Originally posted by vintagebrighton
    We may be able to advise you better if you explain how it has come to light that she had shares.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

5,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin