Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 15th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Sue58
    Murray International Trust (MYI)
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    Murray International Trust (MYI) 15th Sep 17 at 4:00 PM
    I am looking at investing into a trust in the global equity income sector and quite like MYI, however although its performance over the past 10 years has been very good does anybody know why it has struggled a little over the past 5 year period in comparison to other global equity income trusts?
Page 1
    • Jackthedog
    • By Jackthedog 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Jackthedog
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    It was going great guns when pound fell.... just the opposite when the pound recently rose...lol

I have this one and I view it as a reasonable vehicle... Oh and the manager inspires my confidence in a rather offbeat way!
    Last edited by Jackthedog; 16-09-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    • pinkllama
    • By pinkllama 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pinkllama
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    It’s struggled over the past 5 years due to being heavily invested in emerging markets. Personally I wouldn’t consider it a standard global trust.
    • ArchBair
    • By ArchBair 16th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ArchBair
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    An alternative trust to consider is JP Morgan Growth & Income Trust (JPGI) which has a pretty good yield and has performed quite consistently over the past 10 years.
    Last edited by ArchBair; Yesterday at 4:06 PM.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 16th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 1,722 Thanks
    talexuser
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    The manager has a very good long term record but has suffered under QE, being one of those who thinks it is just a conjuring trick and fundamentals will make chickens come home to roost eventually.

His recent underperformance was saved by the fall in sterling after the brexit vote which has boosted the fund. I have some money in it for the grandkids on a 20 year view (as well as vanguard).
    • BLB53
    • By BLB53 16th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    BLB53
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    The manager favoured the emerging markets over the USA in recent years which was a poor judgment call and the trust has suffered. He had a good track record before but he is very bearish and worried about global debt.

You would be better with a low cost global index fund such as Vanguard Lifestrategy as managed funds tend to blow hot and cold and are always liable to underperform when the managers make mistakes or apply poor judgment (but continue to charge you just the same).
    If you choose index funds you can never outperform the market.
    If you choose managed funds there's a high probability you will underperform index funds.
    • Sally57
    • By Sally57 16th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Sally57
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    An alternative trust to consider is JP Morgan Growth & Interest Trust (JPGI) which has a pretty good yield and has performed quite consistently over the past 10 years.
    Originally posted by ArchBair
    I did consider MYI and even more so HINT but in the end decided on JPGI. It really is all down to personal choice on holdings, regional allocations etc
    • MonroeM
    • By MonroeM 16th Sep 17, 11:18 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    MonroeM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:18 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:18 PM
    I did consider MYI and even more so HINT but in the end decided on JPGI. It really is all down to personal choice on holdings, regional allocations etc
    Originally posted by Sally57
    I think people that have held MYI over a long period of time are perfectly happy with their investment.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 17th Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    I think people that have held MYI over a long period of time are perfectly happy with their investment.
    Originally posted by MonroeM
    Yep! Had mine for nearly 50 years, originally bought as Murray Western Investment Trust.
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 17th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Sue58
    On reflection, and studying the factsheet I will go with JPGI - looks good to me, good yield with some growth and income.
    • MonroeM
    • By MonroeM 17th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    MonroeM
    Yep! Had mine for nearly 50 years, originally bought as Murray Western Investment Trust.
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    Wow - that's amazing! Maybe there should be a bonus dividend payment for investors who stay invested with a trust for 50 years?
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 18th Sep 17, 6:07 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Wow - that's amazing! Maybe there should be a bonus dividend payment for investors who stay invested with a trust for 50 years?
    I wish! I can't take all the credit as I was under 10 when the first shares were bought for me as a long-term savings vehicle.
    • Sally57
    • By Sally57 18th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Sally57
    True, but I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with MYI or HINT, its just I preferred JPGI.
    • ArchBair
    • By ArchBair 18th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ArchBair
    True, but I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with MYI or HINT, its just I preferred JPGI.
    I hold JPGI and have been very pleased with the results so far but who knows about future performance.
    • dividendhero
    • By dividendhero 18th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    dividendhero
    Funny how we all crunch the numbers on IT's, boil selection down to a few - then go with our hunch for final selection!!!
    • MPN
    • By MPN 19th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    MPN
    Funny how we all crunch the numbers on IT's, boil selection down to a few - then go with our hunch for final selection!!!
    Originally posted by dividendhero
    Yes, I would agree with that but I wander how many IT's you should realistically hold in the same region/sector?

For instance, my wife and I jointly have around £500K in our pension, isa's and unwrapped investments and currently we have 2 Global IT's plus 1 Global Equity Income (SMT, WTAN & JPGI), 1 UK Equity Income (FGT), 1 UK Smaller Companies (HSL) 2 European IT's (HEFT & TRG), 1 Asia Pacific (SOI) and 1 Japan (BGS).

Very pleased with performances etc but is it overkill having so many IT's especially the Global ones?
    Last edited by MPN; Today at 2:18 PM.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 9,907 Posts
    • 6,321 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Number of funds or trusts is personal choice, so long as your asset allocation meets your objectives.

One thing to be careful of is not to confuse number of trusts with diversification, holdings can and are frequently similar, so holding several funds can lead to more concentration in certain stocks or markets than a smaller number.
    • MPN
    • By MPN 19th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    MPN
    One thing to be careful of is not to confuse number of trusts with diversification, holdings can and are frequently similar, so holding several funds can lead to more concentration in certain stocks or markets than a smaller number.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    I take your point, there is some crossover in holdings and that is why I was thinking of reducing my Global IT's to 2 -. SMT & WTAN. I realise FGT also has some shared holdings with WTAN but it has a much more concentrated set of holdings with only about 27 companies so in the main they are quite different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,563Posts Today

9,377Users online

Martin's Twitter